What do you miss? | Page 3 | Vital Football

What do you miss?

Warrington Imp - 1/6/2016 18:15

Miss walking down to the Bank with my late father.

When we lived in Lincoln, dad and I would catch the bus from the Hartsholme Estate and get off on Dixon Street, walking the rest of the way. That walk, past the Golden Cross and down Queen Street filled me with excitement and anticipation. We always stood in the South Park End, in the corner of it and the West Bank. As a youngster, I would always stand at the wall, right by the corner flag. Later, as I grew up and left home, it was mostly me who took him to games during the 80s, 90s and early 2000s. Dad is long gone now (died in 2003) and I miss him and, especially, taking him to football, sharing football stories with him.

My own son first came with us in 1996 and now we are both season ticket holders and travel together to games both home and away.

That's how it works though, isn't it? Dad takes son to games as a youngster, son becomes dad and then takes son to games.

I could never support any other team.

Impalex - 2/6/2016 08:02

When we lived in Lincoln, dad and I would catch the bus from the Hartsholme Estate and get off on Dixon Street, walking the rest of the way. That walk, past the Golden Cross and down Queen Street filled me with excitement and anticipation. We always stood in the South Park End, in the corner of it and the West Bank. As a youngster, I would always stand at the wall, right by the corner flag. Later, as I grew up and left home, it was mostly me who took him to games during the 80s, 90s and early 2000s. Dad is long gone now (died in 2003) and I miss him and, especially, taking him to football, sharing football stories with him.

My own son first came with us in 1996 and now we are both season ticket holders and travel together to games both home and away.

That's how it works though, isn't it? Dad takes son to games as a youngster, son becomes dad and then takes son to games.

Similar, although kicking your heels on the back of the wooden seats in the St Andrews Stand is a fond memory of those bygone days.

German Imp - 2/6/2016 08:33

Impalex - 2/6/2016 08:02

Similar, although kicking your heels on the back of the wooden seats in the St Andrews Stand is a fond memory of those bygone days.

Do you know, I never sat in the St Andrews Stand. Not once. Funny, really, because I have sat in the new Echo Stand many times after it opened.

The full match day experience for 29p! :

The number 9 Lincolnshire Road Car bus from Hykeham - 3p each way.
Entrance fee 15p!
Programme 5p.
Half time Marathon 3p.

I would get there for about two o'clock, just as the gates were opening and take my place in the South Park end, on the wall just to the left of the goal. Loved the smell of embrocation as the players came out to warm up.

I miss how people react when they ask 'Who do you support? and I replied "Lincoln City".

Years ago, people would laugh and take the mickey in good natured banter which I was quite happy with.

Now they just tend to look sympathetically at me and sort of mumble "Oh, I'm sorry..." as though you've told them a much loved family pet has just died. They don't understand but they want you to know that they are sympathetic to the pain and suffering you are going through but don't quite know what to say.