What Do The Stats Say - Millers v Stoke | Vital Football

What Do The Stats Say - Millers v Stoke

A bit low on possession but played quite well against tough opponents. 13 shots, but only 3 on target - fairly poor accuracy again, so good for us that all three went into the Stoke net! Another stat - we have still never won two consecutive Championship games under Warney. Unless that changes we probably won't stay up, unfortunately. We are only a few percent off where we need to be, but still too many defensive errors, and goalscoring chances going high or wide. Can't fault the effort, but it will need a bit more skill for success.

Last edited:
I thought last night as on Saturday, we played like a team prepared to battle.
In that game we scored more goals than Stoke (they only scored 2!). They were eighth in the league with a reputation for not conceding away from home!
They have a team with many internationals and it’s not long since they were a premiership club.

We still have a number of influential players out injured/not match fit.
Yes we are not as skilled but unless we become a totally different type of club, spending millions on players our skill level is never going to match most of the clubs in the championship.
We have to rely on planning, organisation, effort, and best use of the skill level we have!
All of which IMO, especially in the last two games, we try to do.

Well done everyone!

We can't fault the effort of our players. I'm not sure either goalkeeper had saves to make last night? All I remember was a punch from Blackman in the second half. Angus MacDonald, I'm afraid, worried me more than once last night - though have to say it was a good goal he scored, pity it was in the wrong end, I'm still wondering why he felt the need to put his foot out and did Blackman shout 'mine'? I'm not convinced Angus is completely fit tbh.

Fitness wise we looked great - running around the pitch, unfortunately putting my football head on we run about a lot and don't get that far or, more than often, the end result isn't there. And I don't know why. Because we have some good strikers of balls out on that pitch, some good headers too. I've said it for a long time, I'd like them to train on the pitch at the NYS once or twice a week.

Just been looking at Man City's stats for tonight - 28 shots, 9 on target, 16 corners and only scored two goals, one of which was a last minute penalty. They are more wasteful that us! :p
Didn't let any in though - won 2-0

Last edited:
I always think, Mike, that at least we are having shots on goal which means the ball isn't at the other end of the pitch! But we are wasteful.