O/T What did you Learn today ? | Page 2 | Vital Football

O/T What did you Learn today ?

I learnt how organised and professional the scam industry is . I watched a BBC news piece with video of a scam operation in India. Posing as a call centre after they infect computers with callers seeking a resolution supposedly by Microsoft.
The criminals are set up in an office environment and are ruthless. It's on BBC news on line.

Water is just weird , it’s only wet when you touch it , immerse yourself in it and it’s not wet anymore . Fish can drown in it , and the same water that fell on Stone Age man as rain , is the same water that falls on us today . It disappears in hot weather and reappears when it’s cold .

Fruit flies can use drains to hatch their eggs in. Pouring boiling hot apple cider vinegar down the drains is supposed to kill them off.

There’s only one letter that doesn’t appear in any U.S. state name. Obvious candidates - there is a Z in Arizona for example and an X in New Mexico....the answer is Q ....(only us brits Q !!!!!!)

Around 39% of our electricity is produced by fossil fuels, mainly gas at 38%. In comparison the USA is around 63 % fossil fuels with over 30 % coal compared to our 1%. Wind Turbines we are up to 18 % , USA 9%.

Around 39% of our electricity is produced by fossil fuels, mainly gas at 38%. In comparison the USA is around 63 % fossil fuels with over 30 % coal compared to our 1%. Wind Turbines we are up to 18 % , USA 9%.

Those look like very old stats to me.

Aerodynamics (and spin assist) just popped into my head....certainly never helped my golf! F'in balls!

No google !

Closest to getting it spot on!

Have You Ever Wondered...

• Why are there dimples on a golf ball?
  • What were the first golf balls made of?
  • How many dimples do most golf balls have?

The golf ball didn't always look like it does today. Early golf balls were actually made of leather and stuffed with wet goose feathers! These balls were called “featheries."
Over time, manufacturers began making golf balls with the gum of the sapodilla tree. The gum was heated and formed into a perfect sphere. These golf balls were called “gutta-perchas."
Golfers believed that smooth golf balls would travel farther through the air because a smooth surface would create less wind resistance. But they were wrong!

Golfers quickly noticed smooth gutta-perchas did not soar through the air as well as featheries. Over time, however, they began to notice that scuffed, scratched and dented gutta-perchas covered a greater distance than smooth ones.
Like many inventions, the golf ball dimple was discovered accidentally. By 1930, the dimpled golf ball had become the standard in golfing.

A golf ball with dimples can travel almost twice as far as a smooth golf ball. By adding dimples to the ball, golf ball manufacturers minimize drag forces that pull back on the ball or slow it down.

Dimples also help lift the ball by forcing airflow downward, which pushes the ball upward. These are the same principles of aerodynamics that airplanes use to fly.
There are no rules about how many dimples a golf ball has to have. Most have 300 to 500 dimples. The most common number of dimples is 392.

It was once thought that the more dimples a ball had, the further it would travel. This theory has been disproved, but that hasn't stopped golf ball manufacturers from creating all sorts of dimpled balls.

Golf balls can have dimples that are deep, shallow, large or small. Some golf balls have different sizes of dimples on the same ball. Dimples come in all different shapes, including circles, ovals, teardrops and even hexagons like a soccer ball.

Closest to getting it spot on!

Have You Ever Wondered...

• Why are there dimples on a golf ball?
  • What were the first golf balls made of?
  • How many dimples do most golf balls have?

The golf ball didn't always look like it does today. Early golf balls were actually made of leather and stuffed with wet goose feathers! These balls were called “featheries."
Over time, manufacturers began making golf balls with the gum of the sapodilla tree. The gum was heated and formed into a perfect sphere. These golf balls were called “gutta-perchas."
Golfers believed that smooth golf balls would travel farther through the air because a smooth surface would create less wind resistance. But they were wrong!

Golfers quickly noticed smooth gutta-perchas did not soar through the air as well as featheries. Over time, however, they began to notice that scuffed, scratched and dented gutta-perchas covered a greater distance than smooth ones.
Like many inventions, the golf ball dimple was discovered accidentally. By 1930, the dimpled golf ball had become the standard in golfing.

A golf ball with dimples can travel almost twice as far as a smooth golf ball. By adding dimples to the ball, golf ball manufacturers minimize drag forces that pull back on the ball or slow it down.

Dimples also help lift the ball by forcing airflow downward, which pushes the ball upward. These are the same principles of aerodynamics that airplanes use to fly.
There are no rules about how many dimples a golf ball has to have. Most have 300 to 500 dimples. The most common number of dimples is 392.

It was once thought that the more dimples a ball had, the further it would travel. This theory has been disproved, but that hasn't stopped golf ball manufacturers from creating all sorts of dimpled balls.

Golf balls can have dimples that are deep, shallow, large or small. Some golf balls have different sizes of dimples on the same ball. Dimples come in all different shapes, including circles, ovals, teardrops and even hexagons like a soccer ball.
Who would have thought !

Isabella Gilbert of Rochester, New York State Invented the dimple in 1936. The Dimple Machine consisted of a “face-fitting spring carrying two tiny knobs which press into the cheeks.” ......... SOUNDS BLOODY PAINFUL IMAGINE IF THEY WERE BIG KNOBS.

Isabella Gilbert of Rochester, New York State Invented the dimple in 1936. The Dimple Machine consisted of a “face-fitting spring carrying two tiny knobs which press into the cheeks.” ......... SOUNDS BLOODY PAINFUL IMAGINE IF THEY WERE BIG KNOBS.

Look Greavsie I started this thread for educational purposes and you as usual have denigrated it to slip in your little quips. !!

I have been watching Hunters on Amazon. It's not a comfortable watch but it has taught me a few things or raised awareness of them at least. I wont elaborate too much as it's a difficult concept. But I have enjoyed the Jewish ways and sayings. I am not Jewish by the way. I looked up a few comical Jewish sayings....one being seeing a young couple and saying.....They are a couple in love....she with herself and he with himself.

Another was....he has plenty in his head but nothing in his pocket !!

I already knew a bit but did some deeper research on an artist called Leo Jansen. Originally from Holland but went to Paris to learn about art. Born 1930, died 1980 at only 50. But sold paintings to celebrity such as Raqel Welch, Judy Garland and William Holden etc. Worked for Hugh Heffner and Playboy painting nudes. Heffner had a big collection at the head offices. Jansen charged 20 k for a portrait sitting in the 1960s. He painted The Beatles and Rolling Stones..