What are you watching at the moment? Any recommendations? | Vital Football

What are you watching at the moment? Any recommendations?

PhilK66

Vital 1st Team Regular
I am enjoying the following:

Daas Boat (sequel) even though the plot is part filched from "The Hunt for Red October".

Perry Mason - just the first episode so far but developing into an interesting plot with a very authentic period feel.

My Brilliant Friend Series 2 - Italian drama about two girls growing up in a poor, run down community on the outskirts of Naples a decade or so after WW2. Fantastic acting by the two lead actresses and great settings. Best thing I've seen since Chernobyl.

Alan Bennett Talking Heads all now on iplayer including new ones. All 3 I've watched so far excellent and Sarah Lancashire's An Ordinary Woman superb.

I've been watching the Michael Jordan/Chicago Bulls documentary series, that's really good.

Also started watching (or rather my mrs has), 'Press', a 2018 BBC drama series. It's ok, so far.

Also someone (possibly shotshy) recommended watching '13th'. I started this last night and it seemed like it would be good. But I fell asleep (cos I was tired rather than bored). Will finish watching it soon.

If you like a bombastic dirty-cop-show done right, they recently made "The Shield" available on All4. An absolute classic from my youth which I'm loving re-watching, and it hasn't aged too badly.

As I'm getting older, the sheer amount of TV on streaming platforms is actually putting me off trying anything new. It's something akin to paralysis via too much choice. I only continue paying for Netflix to avoid getting the "your Netflix account isn't working" texts from my sister and parents.

Not watching much but seem to be in the mood for a laugh so have been binging on taped repeats of "Cheers" from early morning on C4. I loved that series but had not watched any episodes since it was first shown in the eighties. Doesn't seem to have aged.

"The First Team" on BBC2 tonight is written by the team behind Inbetweeners but is only about half as funny. Does have a character called Jack Turner though which makes me think of our Jack Tucker.

I watched the whole series of Normal People which was beautifully filmed and really reminded me of the angst of growing up. I must be getting old though as the nude scenes did not seem particularly erotic.

My Brilliant Friend Series 2 - Italian drama about two girls growing up in a poor, run down community on the outskirts of Naples a decade or so after WW2. Fantastic acting by the two lead actresses and great settings. Best thing I've seen since Chernobyl.
I saw that listed on nowtv, but it's only series 2 from what I can see? I love Italian language programmes, thou shalt not kill and mafia only kills in summer (both Walter presents - channel 4) are both excellent, and Gomorrah of course!

I'm watching Succession on nowtv. They tend to take this down quick, so I'm watching quickly.

Salisbury killing series was excellent.

Just, finally, got round to wathching Broadchurch. Ist episode very promising.

Also just seen Cardinal series 3. The only downer was there was almost constant music which was unnecessary and almost drowned out Cardinal's whispery speech.

"The First Team" on BBC2 tonight is written by the team behind Inbetweeners but is only about half as funny. Does have a character called Jack Turner though which makes me think of our Jack Tucker
Yeah, you can watch it all on iPlayer. It's not sidesplitting but it's good if you've got 20 ish minutes to spare.

I saw that listed on nowtv, but it's only series 2 from what I can see? I love Italian language programmes, thou shalt not kill and mafia only kills in summer (both Walter presents - channel 4) are both excellent, and Gomorrah of course!

I'm watching Succession on nowtv. They tend to take this down quick, so I'm watching quickly.
I too love Italian dramas. Even Montalbano - daft stories but always with top italian totti! But the lead in "Thou shall not kill", Miriam Leone, is utterly gorgeous (former Miss Italy) and her beauty is accentuated because her character is always clothed in plain grey and she wears little or no make up. But at the top is Gomorrah, every bit as good as The Sopranos.

Salisbury killing series was excellent.

I'm intending to watch that.

The one about Windrush (if anybody missed my thread last week) was really very good. What was it called, oh yeah, that's it: 'Sitting in LImbo'. On the iplayer, definitely worth watching.

[QUOTE="jokerman, post: 2332382, member: 13522".
Wheel of Fortune (game show)[/QUOTE]

What?! Wheel of fucking fortune?! Is this one of your 'funnies', jokerman?!

Not watching much but seem to be in the mood for a laugh so have been binging on taped repeats of "Cheers" from early morning on C4. I loved that series but had not watched any episodes since it was first shown in the eighties. Doesn't seem to have aged.

"The First Team" on BBC2 tonight is written by the team behind Inbetweeners but is only about half as funny. Does have a character called Jack Turner though which makes me think of our Jack Tucker.

I watched the whole series of Normal People which was beautifully filmed and really reminded me of the angst of growing up. I must be getting old though as the nude scenes did not seem particularly erotic.
I like Cheers too. But I was disappointed when I met John Ratzenberger (Cliff) at an exhibition that he opened where all exhibitors received a signed copy of his book "Made in America". It makes Trump seem like Corbyn it's that red necked!

I too love Italian dramas. Even Montalbano - daft stories but always with top italian totti! But the lead in "Thou shall not kill", Miriam Leone, is utterly gorgeous (former Miss Italy) and her beauty is accentuated because her character is always clothed in plain grey and she wears little or no make up. But at the top is Gomorrah, every bit as good as The Sopranos.

Vivaldi set in Trieste -corny as anything, but watchable.

[QUOTE="jokerman, post: 2332382, member: 13522".
Wheel of Fortune (game show)

What?! Wheel of fucking fortune?! Is this one of your 'funnies', jokerman?![/QUOTE]

It's America's game, with the gorgeous Vanna White on after the local news while we're cooking, and drinking. I'd like to buy a vowel, Pat.

Started the Wu Tang documentary last night. Really good start (though rap music isn't a genre that plays well live!). Very interesting first episode on what it was like growing up in NY in the 80's