What are you cooking during lockdown? | Page 118 | Vital Football

What are you cooking during lockdown?

Conversely we used to have roast beef every Sunday. It's the other way round these days.
Oh my god, that brings back awful memories.
We had roast beef every Sunday. I used to eat really slowly and when my Mum and Dad went into the kitchen to wash up I'd hide the beef in a tissue then flush it down the toilet later.
I've grown to tolerate it now but it's nowhere near my first choice.

Bit of a late one tonight so it was soup, toast and steamed veg from the garden. I had mulligatawny and Mrs Rob had cream of mushroom.

Last edited:
Yes, before "mass produced" chicken (1960s?) it was something you rarely had, perhaps only at Christmas. I seem to recall you could buy a boiling fowl or a roasting fowl. I presume the former were old birds, perhaps those were past laying.

LIkewise, I remember there was mutton, I don't remember lamb.

My dad's mam was a cook before she married. In the 1911 census, she was Cook at Branston rectory. She used to make all sorts of wines from vegetables and hedgerow fruits. I seem to think it was a few years (if ever) before they became drinkable. They were drunk from a small glass, perhaps a sherry-type glass, not what you'd think of as a wine glass. I don't think "ordinary people" drank "dinner wine" with a meal in the 50s.
Interesting about the wines - my dad has an old recipe book of 'country wines' and some of them are interesting to say the least. The two that stick in my mind are parsnip wine and banana wine! I've never tried any of them, sadly. He just makes beer now.

Interesting about the wines - my dad has an old recipe book of 'country wines' and some of them are interesting to say the least. The two that stick in my mind are parsnip wine and banana wine! I've never tried any of them, sadly. He just makes beer now.

Given that your banana chutney is "not widely appreciated" I'd recommend staying away from the banana wine. 😁

We used to have a roast on Sundays. Then on Monday we'd have the left overs ie cold meat with bubble and squeak

Remember the song "Todays Monday" by the Scaffold?

Chilli and rice last night
left over chilli with chips tonight
lunch today was Mrs E’s homemade veg soup which was delicious with sourdough toast. We also made a roasted butternut squash red pepper and sweet potato soup the other day which was ok but lacked a depth of flavour for some reason even though it was from a proper recipe book. Much preferred the freestyle veg one