What are you cooking during lockdown? | Page 116 | Vital Football

What are you cooking during lockdown?

We finished off the rest of the spaghetti/lasagna bolognese tonight, with added tuna for Mrs Rob and sautéed shredded carrot, beetroot, white beetroot, onion and cabbage with toasted sesame oil and Henderson's relish for us both.

Well, it sounds better than some of your recent post-apocalypse meals. 🤣
Yes, there's not much to go wrong with Morrisons pre-made mince pies!

If you meant, is it a bit early in the year to be eating mince pies? Then I would vigourously say no! I eat them all year round, when possible. Love the little buggers. I once bought several from a village show in May/June because the old ladies on the cake stall had made a load of them. I was ecstatic!

We really are counting down the days until we have a kitchen though. Oh, for a fried egg...

Been there, done that. It's probably 1st world problems but I absolutely hated it.

However, you need to sort the whole curry thing. Buy a shit ton of spices, a decent recipe book and get stuck in.

Been there, done that. It's probably 1st world problems but I absolutely hated it.

However, you need to sort the whole curry thing. Buy a shit ton of spices, a decent recipe book and get stuck in.
Presumably you wouldn't rush to do it again then!

I do really. I've always wanted to be and to make them from scratch but never learned how. I'll have to look into it. As a side note, I bought two of Yasmin Khan's cookbooks for my brother's birthday recently and they have gone down extremely well!

Presumably you wouldn't rush to do it again then!

I do really. I've always wanted to be and to make them from scratch but never learned how. I'll have to look into it. As a side note, I bought two of Yasmin Khan's cookbooks for my brother's birthday recently and they have gone down extremely well!

We also had the world's slowest kitchen-fitter, called Wilf. That didn't help.

Lunch: mushrooms in a cream, wine and stilton sauce with Mrs N.'s amazing wholemeal and caraway-seed bread buns.

Tea: lamb kebabs with lime and coriander rice. Pre-bought, this one, buts looks nice.

Dinner tonight will be iguana on a stick with crispy squirrel bits and Fancy Lad snack cakes for dessert.*

*One for any Fallout fans lurking on this thread, as I'm having post-apocalyptic dinners currently.

Lunch: mushrooms in a cream, wine and stilton sauce with Mrs N.'s amazing wholemeal and caraway-seed bread buns.

Tea: lamb kebabs with lime and coriander rice. Pre-bought, this one, buts looks nice.

Lunch looks good. Looks similar to the meal I had out the other evening, but with tagliatelle

I bought two of Yasmin Khan's cookbooks for my brother's birthday recently and they have gone down extremely well!

I was introduced to curries in the early 60s, we had a neighbour who had lived in India at some time in her life. Mind you, her recipe used Sharnwood's curry powder as a base. Mum always added mince and diced veg and we always had it for Saturday dinner.

I bought a Madhur Jaffrey book in c1983 (she was the TV chef of the day) and probably used it for 15 years most Saturdays. I bought another 2 or 3 curry books over the years but always went back to the MJ. Then I discovered the Patak curry pastes in jars and rarely bothered with recipe books.

I've ad-libbed a couple of curries recently with dried spices.

I was introduced to curries in the early 60s, we had a neighbour who had lived in India at some time in her life. Mind you, her recipe used Sharnwood's curry powder as a base. Mum always added mince and diced veg and we always had it for Saturday dinner.

I bought a Madhur Jaffrey book in c1983 (she was the TV chef of the day) and probably used it for 15 years most Saturdays. I bought another 2 or 3 curry books over the years but always went back to the MJ. Then I discovered the Patak curry pastes in jars and rarely bothered with recipe books.

I've ad-libbed a couple of curries recently with dried spices.

I think I used have that MJ cookbook. The curry you describe was pretty much what was served in our family in the 70s - with left-over chicken from Sunday lunch and a ring of rice on the plate.

Barely recognisable as a curry, these days.