What are you cooking during lockdown? | Page 12 | Vital Football

What are you cooking during lockdown?

So my own recipe for a trio of stuffed peppers (red, yellow and orange, halved).

Rice, breadcrumbs and gruyere. And here's the mad flavours: capers, diced preserved lemon, basil, oregano, chilli and a squeeze of honey. Topped with more gruyere and baked.

Sounds like you emptied out your whole store cupboard.....I`m ok with most things you have used but fuck those capers.The Italians in Campania are big on jars of the homemade capers but i`ve thrown plenty of them in the bin on my return to the UK,not even my dog Baldy will touch them and I don`t blame him at the moment as he has just started his covid sniffing training.

Quite a traditional menu for Mrs Notty:

1) A British take on a French classic to start - cider and onion soup with gruyere croutons.

2) A braised steak casserole with rich gravy, mash and veg.

3) Chocolate birthday cake - I'm making this, so it could be more of a chocolate pancake!

Sounds like you emptied out your whole store cupboard.....I`m ok with most things you have used but fuck those capers.The Italians in Campania are big on jars of the homemade capers but i`ve thrown plenty of them in the bin on my return to the UK,not even my dog Baldy will touch them and I don`t blame him at the moment as he has just started his covid sniffing training.

I quite like them in moderation - give a sharp hit to balance other flavours. An acquired taste, though, for sure.

1) A British take on a French classic to start - cider and onion soup with gruyere croutons.

3) Chocolate birthday cake - I'm making this, so it could be more of a chocolate pancake!

Good luck with the cake Notty and Happy Birthday to Mrs Notty

On a warm day like this most blokes are lying about doing proper fuck all in the sun so take a pat on the back for your efforts.

Last edited:

Sounds good, hope it goes well - and happy birthday to Mrs Notty!

I went ahead and made nettle pesto to the River Cottage recipe (breadcrumbs for most of the pine nuts, cheddar for grana padano). Not bad, didn't make a huge amount but it will do!
i have been pulling nettles all day and my legs and arms are covered in sting ,but no problem.
The nettle soup is coming but at the moment i`m frying like a chip so soup on hold.

I went ahead and made nettle pesto to the River Cottage recipe (breadcrumbs for most of the pine nuts, cheddar for grana padano). Not bad, didn't make a huge amount but it will do!

Interesting take on a classic. I think I generally prefer recipes designed for the ingredient, rather than the other way around, if that makes sense.

I fired up the barbie tonight.....local butchers’ Lincolnshire sausage, pork burger, beef burger, lamb cutlet, and shop prepared garlic chicken skewer and lamb kebab. Also home made coleslaw and salad. Strawberrys and cream to follow ......when I can move again!

Major sun down here,even the sheep in the back field were wearing sunglasses and most of them were cross legged drinking ice cold Pimms by 2 o` clock.

Fired up the charcoal and loaded out the grill accordingly(emulating Eweimps)
chorizo sausage.large mixed salad,bbq potatoes,aubergine on skewers,courgette squares,chicken thighs,sirloin steak drizzled with black truffle oil (Italian import) worth a go............ low key tonight.
Finished with bbq bananas,in their skins cut open and rum and cream on top,plus the obligatory strawberries.
rose was the order of the day.
more of the same coming up.
keep safe,keep noshing and enjoy your isolation.

Last edited:
i have been pulling nettles all day and my legs and arms are covered in sting ,but no problem.
The nettle soup is coming but at the moment i`m frying like a chip so soup on hold.
They'll keep, just remember to wash the aphids off! I did with mine but a few were still swimming (not very enthusiastically) in the water after blanching.

sou
I fired up the barbie tonight.....local butchers’ Lincolnshire sausage, pork burger, beef burger, lamb cutlet, and shop prepared garlic chicken skewer and lamb kebab. Also home made coleslaw and salad. Strawberrys and cream to follow ......when I can move again!
sounds top notch......don`t forget the 3hr treadmill slog at midnight,feel the burn.......ensure defibrillator fully operational.

did you get down to the beach? I hear that Croyde,Saunton sands,and Woolacombe were very busy today.
my water wings are out of commission so stayed home.

Last edited:
Interesting take on a classic. I think I generally prefer recipes designed for the ingredient, rather than the other way around, if that makes sense.
I would say normal pesto is better in this instance. The texture is a little different - less oily - because I would have just been pouring oil in otherwise and it didn't feel right! Breadcrumbs probably absorb the oil.

Major sun down here,even the sheep in the back field were wearing sunglasses and most of them were cross legged drinking ice cold Pimms by 2 o` clock.

Fired up the charcoal and loaded out the grill accordingly(emulating Eweimps)
chorizo sausage.large mixed salad,bbq potatoes,aubergine on skewers,courgette squares,chicken thighs,sirloin steak drizzled with black truffle oil (Italian import) worth a go............ low key tonight.
Finished with bbq bananas,in their skins cut open and rum and cream on top,plus the obligatory strawberries.
rose was the order of the day.
more of the same coming up.
keep safe,keep noshing and enjoy your isolation.
BBQ bananas are the best! Will have to try topping with rum and cream, sounds like it can only make them better.

They'll keep, just remember to wash the aphids off! I did with mine but a few were still swimming (not very enthusiastically) in the water after blanching.

Listen in 12 months time when the recession is really biting and food fully rationed then you will be knocking out bowls of aphid soup and lapping it up.
Deep fried aphids in batter with chips,butternut squash with aphids,the veggies will be climbing over your back gate to get a decent meal....get the prep done now and be in front of the curve.
You are already an expert on maximum utilisation of butternut squash,so these aphids will be a doddle.