What are you cooking during lockdown? | Page 3 | Vital Football

What are you cooking during lockdown?

We had baked orzo puttanesca, a dish from Napoli. It's a sort of tuna and tomato baked pasta risotto with lemon, capers, black olives and fresh basil. Very tasty indeed.

The etymology of "puttanesca" is mildly shocking.
my style of nosh.......baked pasta etc.

In a normal year we leave the UK in June and drive down to Campania,3 hours south of Naples and stay in an isolated village beach area and live with the locals who do a bit of cooking for us (no fupping about in the frying pan,simple ingredients without any nouvelle shite) in between our own bbq sessions....(been doing this spot for the last 15 years.)......luckily my wife is fluent in Italian as most locals speak little or no English.
all knocked into a cocked hat with covid.......

my style of nosh.......baked pasta etc.

In a normal year we leave the UK in June and drive down to Campania,3 hours south of Naples and stay in an isolated village beach area and live with the locals who do a bit of cooking for us (no fupping about in the frying pan,simple ingredients without any nouvelle shite) in between our own bbq sessions....(been doing this spot for the last 15 years.)......luckily my wife is fluent in Italian as most locals speak little or no English.
all knocked into a cocked hat with covid.......

I'm amazed to find foreigners have a tendency to speak little or no English, Devon! The bounders! ;)

Sounds absolutely great. Went to Rome last year for our 10th wedding anniversary and, for a big capital city, absolutely loved it and would go back.

At some stage when all this nonsense is over, I'd like to Pompeii and Herculaneum. Probably off-season to avoid at least some of the crowds.

I'm amazed to find foreigners have a tendency to speak little or no English, Devon! The bounders! ;)

Sounds absolutely great. Went to Rome last year for our 10th wedding anniversary and, for a big capital city, absolutely loved it and would go back.

At some stage when all this nonsense is over, I'd like to Pompeii and Herculaneum. Probably off-season to avoid at least some of the crowds.

We have both of those sites on our agenda but never buttoned it down yet and that`s after travelling within Italy for more than 30 years!
Visited sites like Paestum and Velia but in intense heat it is a real task and be prepared for an endurance test if done in June/September window.(humidity in the southern areas can be a drain on activity,or any desire to be a cultural grockle.)
chart below on
https://weather-and-climate.com/average-monthly-Humidity-perc,pompei-campania-it,Italy
NONE OF THAT 80%HUMIDITY UP SKEGGY OR INGOLDMELLS?
July/August are the key Italian holiday windows so are a no go time for us to be in Italy. ......congested coastal areas but inland much quieter.

Roasted aubergine and courgette with a kind of white fish, basil, onion and garlic mash tonight. Was a bit of a hash together to use up the roasted veg. Smelled good cooking but wasn't particularly flavoursome!

Last night was more of the cock crab ,salad,avocado followed by the strawberries in brandy.All washed down with a few leffes and a bottle of Bordeaux..ch.de Portets.

Tonight it`s homemade chicken tikka with a Pateks sauce avec champignons served with a basmati rice avec pois.To follow homemade banana bread and butter pudding.

With the news that this covid likes to sit in your gut my plan of attack is to feed my tapeworms up to their maximum intake in prep for these covid lads to arrive and the key component in the attack on this 19 lads will be to smother them in large doses of Naga viper and Ghost Pepper........might have to have a few toilet rolls in the freezer whilst i am on standby.
gut protection v covid link
https://theconversation.com/coronav...t-microbiome-healthy-to-fight-covid-19-134158

Last night was more of the cock crab ,salad,avocado followed by the strawberries in brandy.All washed down with a few leffes and a bottle of Bordeaux..ch.de Portets.

Tonight it`s homemade chicken tikka with a Pateks sauce avec champignons served with a basmati rice avec pois.To follow homemade banana bread and butter pudding.

With the news that this covid likes to sit in your gut my plan of attack is to feed my tapeworms up to their maximum intake in prep for these covid lads to arrive and the key component in the attack on this 19 lads will be to smother them in large doses of Naga viper and Ghost Pepper........might have to have a few toilet rolls in the freezer whilst i am on standby.
gut protection v covid link
https://theconversation.com/coronav...t-microbiome-healthy-to-fight-covid-19-134158

You eat like a King, Sir!

Chicken Teriyaki with noodles tonight. And wine, but probably a lot cheaper than yours! ;)

You eat like a King, Sir!

Chicken Teriyaki with noodles tonight. And wine, but probably a lot cheaper than yours! ;)

Plenty of cheese on toast with onions going down too.... cutting my cloth accordingly. repeat of 1929 crash on horizon.
(need separate thread on that one....coronavirus/economic impact )
(predictions from IMPS)...could be titled pissing in the economic wind?

Most of the wine bought French side and normally 50% lower than UK prices.
Sounds like your nosh tonight is decent,don`t forget the pan fried sesame seeds for those noodles........they are the bollocks.

I once tried some jerk sauce. It came in mild, medium and hot. I erred on the side of caution and tried mild. Blew my head off!
I think the default spice level must be 'volcanic'! I ate most of it before giving up (might regret that this morning), my better half sensibly just ate the rice!

Initially the plan was BBQ............weather very good,but change of plan and it was the ever reliable leftovers that won the day.

Vegetable quiche,homemade by my wife Valerie who is fairly handy in the kitchen.
I`m toning up my tapeworms in prep for cov19 so they needed extra protein,step forward the pork and garlic butcher`s sausage sandwich to finish.
Bloated, so no room for dessert..... yet.
Red wine as usual,cote du Rhone Janasse 2016....bought £7.35 en Francais........UK PRICE anything between £11.50-up to £14.00 (benchmark Rhone)
Feeling wiped through lack of sleep but tomorrow the plan is BBQ.
Keep safe and keep eating........watch out for those covid bastards!

Last edited:
spaghetti bolognese........tasty but the vegetarian meatballs not tried them.
any pasta suits me.

I've had some Swedish-style vegetarian meatballs that are very good - largely indistinguishable from the real thing.

Tonight is a left-over night for us too, so we're going to try cabbage steaks with halloumi. You bake the cabbage in some kind of marinade.