What are you cooking during lockdown? | Page 62 | Vital Football

What are you cooking during lockdown?

Usual Monday pasta, followed by home made apple pie. We haven't been able to get any cooking apples for ages, and Mrs S finally managed to find some in a farm shop. I had a big slice with ice cream, she had hers with yogurt.

Reminds me of my younger days before we started drinking semi skimmed milk- I always had apple pie cold with cream off the top of the milk

Usual Monday pasta, followed by home made apple pie. We haven't been able to get any cooking apples for ages, and Mrs S finally managed to find some in a farm shop. I had a big slice with ice cream, she had hers with yogurt.

Reminds me of my younger days before we started drinking semi skimmed milk- I always had apple pie cold with cream off the top of the milk

Cooking apples are easily the best for Apple pies. Bramleys being the best, I believe. Developed in Southwell just over the border in Notts and I *think* the original tree may even still be alive there. Every Bramley tree descended from it!

Cooking apples are easily the best for Apple pies. Bramleys being the best, I believe. Developed in Southwell just over the border in Notts and I *think* the original tree may even still be alive there. Every Bramley tree descended from it!
I believe the original tree is indeed there still!

For those that might want to balance their Palestinian cooking with some Israeli dishes, Yotam Otelenghi does a couple of fantastic cookbooks.

I haven't got them, but our daughter-in-law--to-be has and, again, some amazing middle-eastern recipes.

Tonight: Last of the Moussaka.

Sounds like a film!

Did some chip-like potato chunks with garlic and herb seasoning to go with it.

Had a day out yesterday which didn't go as planned/hoped. Instead of fish and chips out, we came home and had fish fingers, beans and potatoes, followed by the added bonus of a slice of Mrs S's apple pie

Not cooking, but last night I ate some special beef jerky that I had been saving. When I say special, I mean it was IPA-infused and cost $11.99 from a special jerky shop in Monterey, California that we visited when staying there last April. I finally gave in and went for it last night. It was ok, that's all. Not worth the wait!

There were some interesting ones on offer in that shop, though. We got my fiancee's dad some whisky beef jerky also, and they had on offer amongst others both ostrich and swordfish jerky. Those were far more expensive though.

My sodabread is not much good - it came out hard as hell. Tastes nice, but the outer bit is very hard to eat. I think I overworked the dough.

Got an afternoon off from the stove and went to the local Mediterranean grill for a late lunch.

After spiced feta and spinach pastries and char-grilled lamb on a yoghurt aubergine sauce with salad, rice and bulgur wheat, I think I need a post-prandial lie down!!!!