What are you cooking during lockdown? | Page 61 | Vital Football

What are you cooking during lockdown?

The aubergine thing became a kind of moussaka with Lebanese spices, Quorn mince, onion, red peppers, mushrooms, a white sauce flavoured with blades of mace and then cheese on top before crisping it up in the oven. It was bloody amazing! Still got some left too.

Baked this sourdough loaf this morning and used a previous loaf to make this French toast for breakfast.
Not impressed with French toast. I'll stick to oats.

Attachments

• rps20200719_124300.jpg
    rps20200719_124300.jpg
    499.8 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:
The aubergine thing became a kind of moussaka with Lebanese spices, Quorn mince, onion, red peppers, mushrooms, a white sauce flavoured with blades of mace and then cheese on top before crisping it up in the oven. It was bloody amazing! Still got some left too.

That sounds great. Love moussaka!

Will look it up later. If you're interested in recipe books, it's in one called Zoutain that is a collection of Palestinian recipes.
Cheers, I'll have a look for that. Sounds like it would be a good investment, and potentially an excellent gift for my brother and sister in law who love that sort of food too!

I've come to the conclusion that food from the Mediterranean basin is probably my favourite: Spanish, Italian, Greek, the Levant, North Africa.
Definitely hard to beat. They basically have all the most flavourful ingredients in abundance and the civilisations with history enough to have perfected how to use them! One of our favourite restaurants, if not our favourite, is Tarboush in Loughborough. Great little place that covers Mediterranean and Middle Eastern cuisine with a heated patio. Many a mint lemonade has been consumed there, among other things!

Reading the title of that article, I initially thought the pomegranate cake also incorporated hummus and kefte as ingredients :LOL:

Ingredients in the tapenade:

100g Black olives, 4 chopped dried figs, tablespoon of washed capers, 2 tspsn of honey, small handful of crushed walnuts (we used walnut oil, instead), salt, pepper to taste.

2 tablespoons of olive oil if you use the crushed walnuts.

Blend to a small chunky consistency.

Ingredients in the tapenade:

100g Black olives, 4 chopped dried figs, tablespoon of washed capers, 2 tspsn of honey, small handful of crushed walnuts (we used walnut oil, instead), salt, pepper to taste.

2 tablespoons of olive oil if you use the crushed walnuts.

Blend to a small chunky consistency.
Awesome, thanks. Definitely going to try this! Just need to get some capers and walnuts.