What are you cooking during lockdown? | Page 4 | Vital Football

What are you cooking during lockdown?

I've had some Swedish-style vegetarian meatballs that are very good - largely indistinguishable from the real thing.

Tonight is a left-over night for us too, so we're going to try cabbage steaks with halloumi. You bake the cabbage in some kind of marinade.
Sounds interesting! Let us know how you get on. We had cauliflower steaks with chimichurri marinade one time, which were surprisingly good. My "it looks like a cross-section of a brain" comment didn't help sell it to my other half though :lol:

Sounds interesting! Let us know how you get on. We had cauliflower steaks with chimichurri marinade one time, which were surprisingly good. My "it looks like a cross-section of a brain" comment didn't help sell it to my other half though :lol:

Lol. No indeed. For the same reason, I've always been mildly concerned about cauliflowers. I mean, plants with brains? It will be Day of the Triffids before we know it.

Cabbage steaks get a C-.

The topping of fried halloumi and cous-cous with orange and pomegranate seeds was lovely.

Cabbage: boil to fuck and then use leftovers in bubble-and-squeek.

Weather opened up down here cloudy so plan b no BBQ.
Replacement dinner plan.........seafood linguine(brown crabmeat/prawns,tomatoes etc.....................tomorrow`s starter?
13.00 hours sun starts scorching down,further revision of plan.

BBQ back on with salad,potatoes(microwaved before going on the heated coals) chicken thighs,courgette slices,rump steak(ruby red local) honey and mustard sausages plus garlic and pork banger,stuffed mushrooms(onion/tomatoe/hot sauce and covered topped with cheese.

sauces:Encona hot West indian plus scotch bonnet with papaya (Tesco)

Drinks:
Started with Leffe blonde then leftover CDR from yesterday plus rose on the table if required.
Finally settled those tapeworms down with a decent serving of chilli........covid where are you ?
Tomorrow`s feast is weather dependent.
And just to think half the world is starving......we don`t know how lucky we are here in the...decadent western world.

If it`s raining tomorrow i`m off to Winsford (16 miles away) to protest outside Stanley Johnson`s gaff about the poor handling of the pandemic by his son and his tory cohorts and express my view that it was a total waste of cash sending his son to Eton.(£42k per year).......not fit for trolley collecting at Aldi!

note on Eton see link.....charitable status my arse
https://www.theguardian.com/educati...status-by-giving-discounts-to-richer-families

Last edited:
Cabbage steaks get a C-.

The topping of fried halloumi and cous-cous with orange and pomegranate seeds was lovely.

Cabbage: boil to fuck and then use leftovers in bubble-and-squeek.
The topping definitely sounds like the best bit of that!

Weather opened up down here cloudy so plan b no BBQ.
Replacement dinner plan.........seafood linguine(brown crabmeat/prawns,tomatoes etc.....................tomorrow`s starter?
13.00 hours sun starts scorching down,further revision of plan.

BBQ back on with salad,potatoes(microwaved before going on the heated coals) chicken thighs,courgette slices,rump steak(ruby red local) honey and mustard sausages plus garlic and pork banger,stuffed mushrooms(onion/tomatoe/hot sauce and covered topped with cheese.

sauces:Encona hot West indian plus scotch bonnet with papaya (Tesco)

Drinks:
Started with Leffe blonde then leftover CDR from yesterday plus rose on the table if required.
Finally settled those tapeworms down with a decent serving of chilli........covid where are you ?
Tomorrow`s feast is weather dependent.
And just to think half the world is starving......we don`t know how lucky we are here in the...decadent western world.

If it`s raining tomorrow i`m off to Winsford (16 miles away) to protest outside Stanley Johnson`s gaff about the poor handling of the pandemic by his son and his tory cohorts and express my view that it was a total waste of cash sending his son to Eton.(£42k per year).......not fit for trolley collecting at Aldi!
That Encona sauce is good stuff (y)

Having been working herself to destruction at home recently, the good lady decided it was the right night for a takeaway, and plumped for an Indian. Mine was lamb dansak with egg fried rice and an aubergine, chicken and cheese thing on the side. She had some sort of king prawn bhuna with mushroom rice and a few sides. It certainly hit the spot.

Hers was washed down with Good Company sauvignon blanc blush from NZ and I had a bottle of Shepherd Neame double stout.

Yes, we've had a couple of take-aways when we didn't feel like cooking. Pizzas for us, but now you mention it, a curry would be good.

Having been working herself to destruction at home recently, the good lady decided it was the right night for a takeaway, and plumped for an Indian. Mine was lamb dansak with egg fried rice and an aubergine, chicken and cheese thing on the side. She had some sort of king prawn bhuna with mushroom rice and a few sides. It certainly hit the spot.

One disadvantage of living 6 miles from nearest town is that takeaways don`t exist and if they did their version of curry or Chinese down here in Devon would be total horseshit.
Like you I am big on curry and would eat it for breakfast but at present I have to make my own takeaways .I have mastered one or two dishes and Youtube is good for running through the cooking process plus ingredients.......,I cook decent onion bhajis,sag aloo,decent rice dishes and chicken/lamb with authentic spicing....we all have plenty of time currently to upgrade our cooking skills and it is a test of our skills in reading simple recipes.If that prick Jamie Oliver can make a living out of cooking then so can we all.
https://www.theguardian.com/business/2019/sep/30/jamie-oliver-restaurant-closures

Alternatively when I am living on the south coast I bulk order decent curry,freeze it and transport it down to my freezer in Devon ,for consumption later.
DELHI DAHL MAKHANI
Top tip from the supermarket supplies of Indian foods.....try this product linked
https://www.tesco.com/groceries/en-GB/products/284127992

cheap,tasty, good with rice,also sold via Asda.
Keep safe.

Well, I'm giving myself a solid B+ for that.

Bubble and squeak made with left-over roast potatoes with cabbage, carrot, fried onions, about an ounce of grated manchego all fried off in butter.

Served with Cumberland sausage and fresh green beans.

One disadvantage of living 6 miles from nearest town is that takeaways don`t exist and if they did their version of curry or Chinese down here in Devon would be total horseshit.
Like you I am big on curry and would eat it for breakfast but at present I have to make my own takeaways .I have mastered one or two dishes and Youtube is good for running through the cooking process plus ingredients.......,I cook decent onion bhajis,sag aloo,decent rice dishes and chicken/lamb with authentic spicing....we all have plenty of time currently to upgrade our cooking skills and it is a test of our skills in reading simple recipes.If that prick Jamie Oliver can make a living out of cooking then so can we all.
https://www.theguardian.com/business/2019/sep/30/jamie-oliver-restaurant-closures

Alternatively when I am living on the south coast I bulk order decent curry,freeze it and transport it down to my freezer in Devon ,for consumption later.
DELHI DAHL MAKHANI
Top tip from the supermarket supplies of Indian foods.....try this product linked
https://www.tesco.com/groceries/en-GB/products/284127992

cheap,tasty, good with rice,also sold via Asda.
Keep safe.
That looks a decent product. I've noticed the world food aisle in Sainsbury's does some great deals on large bags of spices. Worth a check if you want to stock up (I think the brand is Disco). I could do with learning more dishes like that! And I agree re: Jamie Oliver.