What are we doing to our children? Millenials, igen or Gen Z and snowflake parenting. | Vital Football

What are we doing to our children? Millenials, igen or Gen Z and snowflake parenting.

northamptonvillan

Vital 1st Team Regular
Fascinating. I've brought this up before. Spoke with my doctor once saying I think we'll damage the future generations with all these signs and instructions for what should be obvious.

He said then (couple of years ago) it is already happening and he gets loads of youngsters coming to him saying they are self harming etc.

The 'this product might contain fish' allergy warning on a tin of tuna, or nuts on a packet of peanuts.

People are scared of everything these days and it's because that is the society we've built. It isn't any more dangerous than it was when I was a kid and used to go and play in the fields by us. But the perception is that it is.

Only thing that I think are less safe are roads, purely because there is more traffic.

There was a programme a few years ago as well, I think I did a thread on it here, where the presenter (my sort of generation, so approaching 50) was talking about punk and what the youth used to up to. Hanging around with each other in town. He showed where his mates used to hang around pointed out no one was there these days. Said they are all at home on skype, whatsapp, social media etc.

He did point out it is harder for them to rebel that it was for 'us'. He was right there, there is no band my nephew or niece could go and watch that would have me shocked, it's more likely I'd be there as well. Whereas before, the grown ups would be different and you could rebel.

He said maybe they had it right, nice and warm at home, getting their homework done, not putting themselves in danger but finished with a line I totally agreed with.

"But I can't help but feel they are missing out."

Great read that, good thread, thanks northampton.

Last edited:
Even happening in football now, last supporter consultation we were at, the subject of providing tampons to those who don't think to bring their own to football (totally and utterly different to the very worthy tampons/sanitary ware provision for those in poverty, at schools etc ) was brought up. What next? Cotton wool outfits to make sure we don't bump into each other?

People are trying to be the Ben Elton politically 'right on' character (and then have the temerity to criticise those who won't fall in line) providing everything for every eventuality.

When I'm not well I take extra tablets with me, if I'm training I take protein bars and whatever else I need, i'm sure if you go out with a cold you take hankies.

Not everything can just be laid on 'in case'. We are babying people to the point where they don't have to think for themselves.

And obviously we are all protected from the massive dangers of bottle tops to plastic bottles at footie now, thank god, because they were such a danger in the 90's and 2000's ! (And yes, I know the argument is you can throw a bottle further but if people are vile enough to want to throw things, they will, like the old 50p coin throwing for instance)

Last edited:
People are scared of everything these days and it's because that is the society we've built. It isn't any more dangerous than it was when I was a kid and used to go and play in the fields by us. But the perception is that it is.

I think its a trend in this country and across Europe and America that whilst crime has for the most part gone down the reporting of crime, especially in a sensationalist way has gone up so it makes people think that modern life is a lot more dangerous than it actually is. A few years ago I worked with an old bloke who insisted that back in "his day" there were no pedophiles, whereas the truth of it is simply that they were rarely reported by victims and if they were you wouldn't see it all over the papers, news and now Internet.

I think its a trend in this country and across Europe and America that whilst crime has for the most part gone down the reporting of crime, especially in a sensationalist way has gone up so it makes people think that modern life is a lot more dangerous than it actually is. A few years ago I worked with an old bloke who insisted that back in "his day" there were no pedophiles, whereas the truth of it is simply that they were rarely reported by victims and if they were you wouldn't see it all over the papers, news and now Internet.

It was the old blokes like him who were the paedophiles they just hadn’t been outed yet