"What Are They Talking About?" Quiz - no. 10 | Vital Football

"What Are They Talking About?" Quiz - no. 10

Merthyr Imp

Vital Football Hero
Who said this and when:

"It is no good crying over spilt milk if we don't achieve success this season we must go all out for the target the next."

Murph actually wrote, '...it is no use crying over split milk...' in one of his programme notes.

Not Steve Thompson either.

Maybe time for some sort of clue.

Success wasn't achieved that season or the next.

Ron Gray as the 68-69 promotion hopes faded?

That's correct.

He was writing in the programme for the last home match of the season prior to which there was still a rather unlikely mathematical chance of promotion. But a 0-0 draw followed by a 2-0 defeat at Chester together with other clubs getting points from their games in hand meant an 8th place finish.

The following season wasn't such a good one, but still ended with being 8th again.

That's correct.

He was writing in the programme for the last home match of the season prior to which there was still a rather unlikely mathematical chance of promotion. But a 0-0 draw followed by a 2-0 defeat at Chester together with other clubs getting points from their games in hand meant an 8th place finish.

The following season wasn't such a good one, but still ended with being 8th again.
It was my first season supporting the Imps - the 5-0 opening day win over Notts County converted me from a spurs 'supporter' a month before my family moved back to Lincoln, the fickleness of youth!

As I remember it, werent we 4th after our last match but it had been a bad winter, other teams still had 1 or 2 matches to play, knocking us down to 8th.