What Are The Options Going Forward | Page 5 | Vital Football

What Are The Options Going Forward

The amount of individual mistakes we make at the back suggests a few things.

1. They are not good enough.
2. Poor coaching.
3. Players are low in confidence and playing with fear.

Sanchez was never this bad under Poch so the latter 2 options are certainly playing there part.

Tang, Sess, Ŕodon, hopefully Reggie possibly Sanchez are part of the team growing over the next 5 years. Obviously additions are needed.

Aurier, Doherty, Toby, Rose and Davies can all go. Not the level required.

So what short term measures does a coach use when his defence ain't doing its job ?
What I have seen from Jose so far is to impress on all the players on the pitch the need to play their part in defending.

I have seen the use in some games of 2 DMs to protect the defence. Sissoko being the second DM or being asked to be one.

Reading all the posts since my last one, reading between the lines, suggests exactly what I said....inviting pressure brings the problems you have all posted about, simple really.

haemorrhaging goals ?

Only city (winning then league by a mile, with 21 against) and Chelsea have given away less than us (30), that's not exactly 'haemorrhaging goals' (us 32) is it ?

The issue is the goals we have given away from winning positions, the points this has cost us and the reasons why this has happened i.e. individual errors caused by poor tactical game management and / or both.

What goes on post and pre-games is as critical as what goes on during games.
The lads couldn't keep a clean sheet for dust under Poch. We were leaking goals for fun. Yeah Jose has resolved that somewhat but at what cost? Our attacking intent is being stunted. We are no longer playing to our strengths because Jose is being so stubborn. Another argument is he simply doesn't trust them. Whatever way you cut it we have a problem that needs resolving & fast.

The lads couldn't keep a clean sheet for dust under Poch. We were leaking goals for fun. Yeah Jose has resolved that somewhat but at what cost? Our attacking intent is being stunted. We are no longer playing to our strengths because Jose is being so stubborn. Another argument is he simply doesn't trust them. Whatever way you cut it we have a problem that needs resolving & fast.

Can't argue with that, said exactly this over 4 months ago.

We're currently a shambles and it pains me to say it, the board's strategy appears to have imploded.

Our coaching messiah has been shown to be out of date and out of style from both a tactical understanding and a man-management pov. He can't get away with and can't do what was second nature to him. The World of football has left him behind.

It doesn't matter what part of the field we focus on, what set of players/what their strengths and weaknesses are and are not, nothing will change until a new strategy is implemented.

I've been warning about the shambles that was to come since I first spotted the signs back in late October/November, when most here were disagreeing with me and felt I had an agenda against Jose.

We're in that shambolic state now.

The club is now also in a big financial black hole; so there are unlikely to be any quick fixes, we need new leadership and a new direction and we need to grasp the new reality: transfer fees have and will continue to plummet for some time and so we have operated in that new reality.

We need an injection of reality, enthusiasm, and money to climb out of this pit. If we were a public company we'd be making a big call to our shareholders for an injection of cash.

As we're a private company, you'd think we'd be looking for new investors who like the idea of owning 20-30% of the business as we raise around £300-400 million to deal with the short term debt and to invest in players that can return us to the Champions League.

If we can't do this, then we now face a very long climb back to the top echelon yet again, it always takes longer than you think - I recall our North London neighbours saying it would only be two years before they were back in the champions league, it's about to become the fourth year they'll miss it and as it stands, look like a team who won't get near it next year either.

We're a club that's now stuck in reverse; which is exactly what I warned about where Jose was leading us.

Our identity has been lost.

It's likely our two big cashable assets are already planning their exits, if we don't give it to them, we will be a club at war with itself again and these performances will perpetuate themselves.

Mid-table mediocrity awaits us next season unless we have a decisive strategy that covers leadership, cash injection, and top-class purchase plans, because just one season not in that elite competition makes us immeasurably less attractive as a player destination.

Last edited:
So what short term measures does a coach use when his defence ain't doing its job ?
What I have seen from Jose so far is to impress on all the players on the pitch the need to play their part in defending.

I have seen the use in some games of 2 DMs to protect the defence. Sissoko being the second DM or being asked to be one.

We have conceded a lot of goals from crosses this season so we should be working on man marking and working as a team on set pieces. We get bullied way too much here. Drills from all angles, all types of crosses, different man marking techniques.

We have been cut through the middle many a time because our CMs are either to slow or not athletic enough to cope. With some added poor positional awareness from our players, teams have an easy access.

Just think how poor we can be with possession? Sometimes we only have 30%. That's fine if your team can keep clean sheets but we can't.

Sometimes a basic kick the ball out of the stadium is required aswell. Lol

Some basic stuff really. Can I have 15m a year please. Aha

It's likely our two big cashable assets are already planning their exits, if we don't give it to them, we will be a club at war with itself again and these performances will perpetuate themselves.

Mid-table mediocrity awaits us next season unless we have a decisive strategy that covers leadership, cash injection, and top-class purchase plans, because just one season not in that elite competition makes us immeasurably less attractive as a player destination.
We can get rid of the manager, which I think will almost certainly happen, as will in all probability the sale of Kane and Son, thereby providing the cash injection, but hasn't the damage already been done, whereby the sale of Kane and Son, although probably unavoidable, will only escalate the problem.
The time to attract the best players, and it was needed at that time, was the summer following on from our reaching the CL final. We didn't, consequently we started to nosedive under Poch, and compounded a dangerous situation by bringing in Mourinho.
To my mind we HAVE to make the top four and qualify for the CL this season, still get rid of the manager, but hopefully hang on to our best players. Unfortunately there is nothing going on within the Club, or on the pitch which indicates that CL will happen. If we don't, it will be the start of another 'five year project', the difference from the last time around being that it may take the full five years for CL qualification to come around again.

He's at war with too many players now. I do agree with a lot of what he has to say, it's the way he's going about it that's inflaming the situation.

It's becoming abundantly clear the players aren't capable of producing the goods at a consistent level, so it's only a matter of time before they throw him under the bus. As Ex says i think we're due a full blown meltdown.

The thread title is one big misnomer.......
????? I gave four options, all of which were at the time, and still are possibilities, whereby it was appropriate initially. The fourth option looks increasingly likely three weeks further down the line.
As with all threads though, as the discussion evolves the topics become more wide ranging, with all roads normally leading back to Mourinho.

????? I gave four options, all of which were at the time, and still are possibilities, whereby it was appropriate initially. The fourth option looks increasingly likely three weeks further down the line.
As with all threads though, as the discussion evolves the topics become more wide ranging, with all roads normally leading back to Mourinho.

It was a dig at the title mate as we do not seem to like to GO FORWARD any more on or off the pitch.

We're currently a shambles and it pains me to say it, the board's strategy apperas to have imploded.

Our coaching messiah has been shown to out of date and out of style from both a tactical understanding and a man-management pov. He can't get away with and can't do what was second nature to him. The World of football has left him behind.

It doesn't matter what part of the field we focus on, what set of players/what their strengths and weaknesses are and are not, nothing will change until a new strategy is implemented.

I've been warning about the shambles that was to come since I first spotted the signs back in late October/November, when most here were disagreeing with me and felt I had an agenda against Jose.

We're in that shambolic state now.

The club is now also in a big financial black hole; so there are unlikely to be any quick fixes, we need new leadership and a new direction and we need to grasp the new reality: transfer fees have and will continue to plummet for some time and so we have operated in that new reality.

We need an injection of reality, enthusiasm, and money to climb out of this pit. If we were a public company we'd be making a big call to our shareholders for an injection of cash.

As we're a private company, you'd think we'd be looking for new investors who like the idea of owning 20-30% of the business as we raise around £300-400 million to deal with the short term debt and to invest in players that can return us to the Champions League.

If we can't do this, then we now face a very long climb back to the top echelon yet again, it always takes longer than you think - I recall our North London neighbours saying it would only be two years before they were back in the champions league, it's about to become the fourth year they'll miss it and as it stands, look like a team who won't get near it next year either.

We're a club that's now stuck in reverse; which is exactly what I warned about where Jose was leading us.

Our identity has been lost.

Christ EX u say it all and so precise. AND, you've been saying it for a long time,. You have contacts in the club can't u get them into Danny's ear?

So in reading some very well put posts here, I come to the simple street talk conclusion....WE ARE FCUKED! lol! though it is not a joke!

The current situation is toxic, possibly even more toxic than in Poch's final months. The difference this time is Levy has always been in awe of Mourinho so it is hard to tell if Levy is going to give him more time than he has ever afforded another manager because of this.

I have no idea how this situation is going to unfold from this point. I think we have passed by the point in which Levy would have usually sacked a manager which I think is mostly down to the cup final. If we somehow win that... well... I have no idea if Levy would have the stones to sack him in that situation.

The current situation is toxic, possibly even more toxic than in Poch's final months. The difference this time is Levy has always been in awe of Mourinho so it is hard to tell if Levy is going to give him more time than he has ever afforded another manager because of this.

I have no idea how this situation is going to unfold from this point. I think we have passed by the point in which Levy would have usually sacked a manager which I think is mostly down to the cup final. If we somehow win that... well... I have no idea if Levy would have the stones to sack him in that situation.
Unfortunately I have to say that if that is the case, and I think that it would be, I won't be at all concerned if we lose that final. If its a choice between a Carabao Cup win, or getting rid of Mourinho, for me its a no brainer.
I'm not sure of the legal situation in the UK these days, but if Mourinho can rightly claim that he was employed by the Club to win trophies, and then wins the Carabao in his first full season, would he have a case for wrongful dismissal if we tried to get rid of him in the summer.
Best solution, get rid of him before the Carabao final.

Unfortunately I have to say that if that is the case, and I think that it would be, I won't be at all concerned if we lose that final. If its a choice between a Carabao Cup win, or getting rid of Mourinho, for me its a no brainer.
I'm not sure of the legal situation in the UK these days, but if Mourinho can rightly claim that he was employed by the Club to win trophies, and then wins the Carabao in his first full season, would he have a case for wrongful dismissal if we tried to get rid of him in the summer.
Best solution, get rid of him before the Carabao final.

I respect that opinion, but want both a cup win and a manager sacking. My preference would be a managing sacking, then a cup win :-)

What people know is that there is a big difference in revenues between CL and EL. What they forget is that even if we are only in the EL, with an open stadium those home games can make a hige difference financially. I'm most concerned we might end up as cup final losers and miss out on EL. Jose will be long gone and someone else will be clearing up his mess like what happened in his previous 2 jobs.

I respect that opinion, but want both a cup win and a manager sacking. My preference would be a managing sacking, then a cup win :-)

What people know is that there is a big difference in revenues between CL and EL. What they forget is that even if we are only in the EL, with an open stadium those home games can make a hige difference financially. I'm most concerned we might end up as cup final losers and miss out on EL. Jose will be long gone and someone else will be clearing up his mess like what happened in his previous 2 jobs.
Agreed there muttley, win the Cup and eff JM off, before or afterwards, suits me fine.
So true regards income from our fine Stadium, even if its only the Euro Cup thing.

As for a new coach, I hope he comes with a big bloody brush, as a new broom sweeps clean, modernisation with fresh new ideas.

This years' winners of the Carabao Cup don't go into the Europa League for the 2021/22 season. Instead they enter UEFA's new second-tier European competition - Uefa Europa Conference League (UECL). Basically it's a competition for those teams not good enough to get into the Europa.

Here's a couple of links explaining the format and qualification criteria -

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/54133192

https://www.uefa.com/uefaeuropaconf...7f89e-1000--europa-conference-league-lowdown/

The Carabao Cup winners have to enter at the play off stage just to get into the group stage.

From what I can see it's a competition to avoid at all costs. And it will be played on Thursday nights.