What Are The Options Going Forward | Page 3 | Vital Football

What Are The Options Going Forward

If we are very lucky, 2 coming out of our new player factory in the next 3 years will be top 6 PL level material.

This is where you'll lose me every single time.

We do NOT have average players. We have a squad of top level world footballers, that can play with ANY team of their best day. ANY TEAM.

And the second place you lose me is...

"Poor coaching or not ...."

In four words, you dismissed THE MOST IMPORTANT PART OF A TEAM'S SUCCESS. No team will succeed without good quality coaching. End of. A squad of top class players will win SHIT with a crappy coach (See Jose at Spurs 2021), and a Very Good coach will take a team of decent players, and win things with them. Nuno/Carlo/ETC.

Imagine what a GREAT coach can do with GREAT players? And do you even know how great your players can be, until they're put in their best situation to succeed?

Coaching talent trumps players talent in the overall success metric every time.

Ok, I should more clearly state...

Coaching talent trumps players talent 'over the short term', in the overall success metric every time.

Because even so, top quality player talent is much much harder to replace.

This is where you'll lose me every single time.

We do NOT have average players. We have a squad of top level world footballers, that can play with ANY team of their best day. ANY TEAM.

And the second place you lose me is...

"Poor coaching or not ...."

In four words, you dismissed THE MOST IMPORTANT PART OF A TEAM'S SUCCESS. No team will succeed without good quality coaching. End of. A squad of top class players will win SHIT with a crappy coach (See Jose at Spurs 2021), and a Very Good coach will take a team of decent players, and win things with them. Nuno/Carlo/ETC.

Imagine what a GREAT coach can do with GREAT players? And do you even know how great your players can be, until they're put in their best situation to succeed?

Coaching talent trumps players talent in the overall success metric every time.

We have 3 top tier players in Reggie, Kane and Son.

Then we have a small pool of talented players but they all have clear flaws.

I would say Tanganga, Sanchez, Sess, Lo Celso, Ndombele, Hoji, Skipp, Bergwinj, Dele and possibly Vinnie tick them boxes.

Everyone else is on the decline or average.

Whoever the manager is next will need to work his magic with this bunch. None are world beaters that's for sure.

I understand what a difference a good coach can make, I am one. Lol

There is only so much a coach/manager can do. Sure you can get a team punching for a short period of time but that team never lasts.

If you are confident Levy can bring in the right manager that's your opinion but I have zero faith the guy will get it right.

{snip}...

If you are confident Levy can bring in the right manager that's your opinion but I have zero faith the guy will get it right.

Whoah Cowboy! I beleive there are very good candidates out there, that are interested, and that know Spurs might be interested, and I'd take almost all of them over Jose. So far, DL has not earned that level of faith in his Mgr hires to date, and some may forget, he's had quite a few in his tenure. But I do always hope the next one is The One.

Whoah Cowboy! I beleive there are very good candidates out there, that are interested, and that know Spurs might be interested, and I'd take almost all of them over Jose. So far, DL has not earned that level of faith in his Mgr hires to date, and some may forget, he's had quite a few in his tenure. But I do always hope the next one is The One.

An organization with a micromanaging CEO is not somewhere anyone sane would want to work. Jose probably figured DL would defer to him.

We need a manager that is not afraid to play youngsters. Someone in the Rodgers mould.
Tang and Rodon could be a sucessful partnership for years given a go.
Likewise Skipp and PEH in the centre.
Then we have Scarlett, Devine, White, Cirkin etc. Very exciting and talented. Just need nurturing.
We need a new Number 1 and a new right back as priority.
We need to convince Reggi to stay. We need someone to put their arm around Dele and get him back to the player he was. Throw into the mix Gio, Moura and Son we really dont look that bad do we???
The conundrum could be Kane to be honest. Selling him provides the funds to buy some very good players. Not world class of course but very good players. If however he wants to stay and lead the team forward that would also be welcome.
Mourinho needs to go first and foremost

We need a manager that is not afraid to play youngsters. Someone in the Rodgers mould.
Tang and Rodon could be a sucessful partnership for years given a go.
Likewise Skipp and PEH in the centre.
Then we have Scarlett, Devine, White, Cirkin etc. Very exciting and talented. Just need nurturing.
We need a new Number 1 and a new right back as priority.
We need to convince Reggi to stay. We need someone to put their arm around Dele and get him back to the player he was. Throw into the mix Gio, Moura and Son we really dont look that bad do we???
The conundrum could be Kane to be honest. Selling him provides the funds to buy some very good players. Not world class of course but very good players. If however he wants to stay and lead the team forward that would also be welcome.
Mourinho needs to go first and foremost

I agree we need a manager that will focus on the youngsters coming through. Also buying the best young talent worldwide.

But how many of these young players will make it? We know most won't so its foolish to believe all of them will help us win a league title.

Bale, Son, Kane are not staying long term. I say cut our losses on all of them. Try and keep Reggie if we can.

There is some hope but too many ifs and buts at the moment.

The vision has to change from the top. I can't see that happening until it's to late.

Some of the players need to take a long hard look at themselves agreed but we have to change manager NOW. The bollocks that Mourinho spouted about Toby not being able to train only for footage of him training being released to me shows that the man has lost all respect from within.
There is no motivation or hunger from the players, It is as if they are just going through the motions. We could have gone 4th yesterday yet we plodded along. United will have a field day if we defend as we did as a team yesterday and it fills me with absolute horror thinking about what City could do to us.
I have always backed our managers but I am really struggling to back Mourinho and his bullshit antics.

Some of the players need to take a long hard look at themselves agreed but we have to change manager NOW. The bollocks that Mourinho spouted about Toby not being able to train only for footage of him training being released to me shows that the man has lost all respect from within.
There is no motivation or hunger from the players, It is as if they are just going through the motions. We could have gone 4th yesterday yet we plodded along. United will have a field day if we defend as we did as a team yesterday and it fills me with absolute horror thinking about what City could do to us.
I have always backed our managers but I am really struggling to back Mourinho and his bullshit antics.
rackny....bullshit tactics spot on. JM OUT!

We have a pool of talent that many others can only dream of. Kane, Son, Hugo, Dembele, Reggie, Moura et al ... & a crop of youngsters who aren't too shabby either.

Our big problem is in defence. A blind man could see we needed to address the problem & this goes way back to Poch's time at Spurs. Well address the problem we have... with sticking plasters.

Not taking a pop at the kids, they're a talented bunch but they're being thrown in at the deep end because of a number of poor signings.

Doherty, Aurier, Rose, Winks, Dier, Sissoko & Hart are all expendable in my view.

Bale should be sent packing back to Madrid. I can just imagine the Madrid Ultras baying for blood. What will he care? He'll be banging his balls all around the golf course once again. I was once a fan but it's plainly obvious the guy doesn't have the stomach for it any more.

Daniel knew it was a huge risk signing Jose & now he has to decide whether to stick or twist. If he replaces him what type of coach will he go for? Will he be backed? Will he even be able to do it with the ongoing global pandemic? There are a lot of questions there in need of an answer.

Question...."what are the tactics going forward?" simple answer, with Twat Head Moaninio in charge, NOWHERE!

Levy get him to fcuk out of our club.

If we were in the grounds then Mourinho and the board would be getting crucified at every opportunity. I wonder if the club have people inside that "scout" these type of forums and social media for the general feeling of the fan base? I have mostly seen negativity on here and Twitter is awash with Jose out (putting it very mildly) messages.

The quandary is if we stick with Mourinho and we squeeze into the Champions League and somehow beat City to win the league cup then we are stuck with him unless he decides that he has satisfied his ego and walks away. If we have him at the helm next season then we will still get served up the same rubbish and bullshit excuses, players will still get thrown under the bus and several will want out anyway.
Or do we twist and get rid of him and bring someone fresh in hoping that the whole place gets a boost and we go on a run and qualify for the CL, the big players agree to give it one more go and others get a chance to revitalse their careers.

Even if we dont qualify for Europe and big players want to move on all I know is that I wouldnt want Mourinho given another window to bring in ageing stop gaps to replace those that may decide enough is enough (Kane, Son) or those that need replacing (Sanchez, Lloris, Dier etc)

If we were in the grounds then Mourinho and the board would be getting crucified at every opportunity. I wonder if the club have people inside that "scout" these type of forums and social media for the general feeling of the fan base? I have mostly seen negativity on here and Twitter is awash with Jose out (putting it very mildly) messages.

The quandary is if we stick with Mourinho and we squeeze into the Champions League and somehow beat City to win the league cup then we are stuck with him unless he decides that he has satisfied his ego and walks away. If we have him at the helm next season then we will still get served up the same rubbish and bullshit excuses, players will still get thrown under the bus and several will want out anyway.
Or do we twist and get rid of him and bring someone fresh in hoping that the whole place gets a boost and we go on a run and qualify for the CL, the big players agree to give it one more go and others get a chance to revitalse their careers.

Even if we dont qualify for Europe and big players want to move on all I know is that I wouldnt want Mourinho given another window to bring in ageing stop gaps to replace those that may decide enough is enough (Kane, Son) or those that need replacing (Sanchez, Lloris, Dier etc)
We won't make the top four, and our best players, Kane and Son in particular will be leaving. Levy won't stand in their way, there is no point in keeping disillusioned players, and Daniel won't pass up the opportunity of getting more than two hundred million in to offset the loss of stadium revenues and no CL football.
The real question is whether he will then reinvest in the Club's future by getting rid of Mourinho and his sidekicks. My biggest fear is that somehow we manage to win the Carabao Cup, it is a one off after all, whereby Mourinho can tell the world he brought a trophy to Spurs in his first full season. In reality that will mean very little, and hopefully Levy won't get taken in by it.

Last edited:
If Kane and Son were to be sold then we would be looking at £180-200M as Levy will want top dollar but there are very few teams that will be able to spend like that. More realistically would be £100-130M plus what else we can generate from deadwood, fringe players but Danny boy will play hardball again and we will be left with unhappy and disillusioned players

Excise the tumor, as quickly, and utterly completely as possible, whilst retaining the integrity of the surrounding tissue as much as is possible.

We have a pool of talent that many others can only dream of. Kane, Son, Hugo, Dembele, Reggie, Moura et al ... & a crop of youngsters who aren't too shabby either.

Our big problem is in defence. A blind man could see we needed to address the problem & this goes way back to Poch's time at Spurs. Well address the problem we have... with sticking plasters.

Not taking a pop at the kids, they're a talented bunch but they're being thrown in at the deep end because of a number of poor signings.

Doherty, Aurier, Rose, Winks, Dier, Sissoko & Hart are all expendable in my view.

Bale should be sent packing back to Madrid. I can just imagine the Madrid Ultras baying for blood. What will he care? He'll be banging his balls all around the golf course once again. I was once a fan but it's plainly obvious the guy doesn't have the stomach for it any more.

Daniel knew it was a huge risk signing Jose & now he has to decide whether to stick or twist. If he replaces him what type of coach will he go for? Will he be backed? Will he even be able to do it with the ongoing global pandemic? There are a lot of questions there in need of an answer.
Steve, there's a whole lot more wrong than signing a CB will solve.

As bad as some of our defending was, why is that Newcastle were able to attack us with gay abandon? They had 22 shots. This was Newcastle FFS. They shouldn't have been given a sniff of our goal.

We should have been dominating the game and playing largely in their half. We had 11 shots.

You say we have a pool of talent that others can only dream of. And I totally agree. But why are we only seeing glimpses of it? With the quality we had on the pitch yesterday Newcastle should have been chasing shadows.

Jose and this squad are not the right fit for each other.