What Are The Options Going Forward | Page 6 | Vital Football

What Are The Options Going Forward

This years' winners of the Carabao Cup don't go into the Europa League for the 2021/22 season. Instead they enter UEFA's new second-tier European competition - Uefa Europa Conference League (UECL). Basically it's a competition for those teams not good enough to get into the Europa.

Here's a couple of links explaining the format and qualification criteria -

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/54133192

https://www.uefa.com/uefaeuropaconf...7f89e-1000--europa-conference-league-lowdown/

The Carabao Cup winners have to enter at the play off stage just to get into the group stage.

From what I can see it's a competition to avoid at all costs. And it will be played on Thursday nights.

Even then, it depends whether the club want the midweek matchday revenues. You could argue that you have a great chance of blooding the youngsters in the conference league and can keep the 1st team fresh for the weekends.

The match day revenues might still be required by the club. I'm not sure we can be that elitist to turn down that revenue stream.

Who goes in if City win the cup? I assume a league place, which of course could also be us :-)

Even then, it depends whether the club want the midweek matchday revenues. You could argue that you have a great chance of blooding the youngsters in the conference league and can keep the 1st team fresh for the weekends.

The match day revenues might still be required by the club. I'm not sure we can be that elitist to turn down that revenue stream.

Who goes in if City win the cup? I assume a league place, which of course could also be us :-)
My instinct was that attendances would be very low given the calibre of the opposition. And the ticket prices would have to drop significantly. Although it may attract fans who can't normally get to games for reasons of ticket availability or cost.

My feeling though is that we would benefit more from a season without European football (if this is the only competition we can qualify for) to concentrate on the PL with a leaner squad of quality players supported the youngsters. The loss of income from the UECL could be offset by a lower wage bill.

My instinct was that attendances would be very low given the calibre of the opposition. And the ticket prices would have to drop significantly. Although it may attract fans who can't normally get to games for reasons of ticket availability or cost.

My feeling though is that we would benefit more from a season without European football (if this is the only competition we can qualify for) to concentrate on the PL with a leaner squad of quality players supported the youngsters. The loss of income from the UECL could be offset by a lower wage bill.

I guess it doesn't take much to lower that wage bill if some big hitters like Kane, Bale, Toby, Rose, Lloris, Aurier etc fly off into the sunset.

Then there's an argument whether a new manager gets £15m a year :-)

We'd want them, then total per head spend on hospitality would far exceed the ticket cost per se.

We will be utterly desperate for any revenue we can get.

A year out of Europe only really works if we sell big and spend big and spend the time rebuilding, of course, no CL level players will want to touch us unless we offer them a big fat increase in their existing salaries, and even then, it might be a dubious loss of branding and profile that could cost the player more in lost individual sponsorship money.

We and those players that stay will be walking (relatively speaking) a financial tightrope.

Chances are we'd be reliving 4 years before Poch all over again.

We'd want them, then total per head spend on hospitality would far exceed the ticket cost per se.

We will be utterly desperate for any revenue we can get.

A year out of Europe only really works if we sell big and spend big and spend the time rebuilding, of course, no CL level players will want to touch us unless we offer them a big fat increase in their existing salaries, and even then, it might be a dubious loss of branding and profile that could cost the player more in lost individual sponsorship money.

We and those players that stay will be walking (relatively speaking) a financial tightrope.

Chances are we'd be reliving 4 years before Poch all over again.

Such despair! Until the trigger's pulled, I'm with ya, but then.....

In the right hands, this squad can immediately win big games. There are 2 MASSIVE players that are interested in coming to Spurs with a new project. With the right move for Mgr & addition of gamechangers, the 3 Amigos all stay. Remit is for The Treble, w no Europe. All those crazy backroom meetings around deadline day.... when that pays off, turns the hardship around. Who's the name tho?

I'm not worried. just want it done.

Prem & CL Champs in 2023!

COYS!

So, let's hypothetically say we fail to get into the CL and Europa, but win the cup.

In that situation does Mourinho become our biggest marketable attraction to new, higher profile players?

(Put aside the calibre of the existing players we may or may not still have at the club by the start of next season.)

Here's my $2 worth...
1. Lose on Sunday, Mr Mourinho's arse on the first 149 passing the gates.
2. A caretaker manager thru to season's end.( Redcrap, Sherwood, anybody that fits point 4).
3. A young ambitious manager with a "modern/today" football philosophy.
4. A manager that believes in the players.
5. We have a quality squad, Levy to show intent to hold them together.
6. A new project, blueprint to re-establish the SPURS identity, and onward to prosperity.
7. Don't bloody delay, get it done....

Here's my $2 worth...
1. Lose on Sunday, Mr Mourinho's arse on the first 149 passing the gates.
2. A caretaker manager thru to season's end.( Redcrap, Sherwood, anybody that fits point 4).
3. A young ambitious manager with a "modern/today" football philosophy.
4. A manager that believes in the players.
5. We have a quality squad, Levy to show intent to hold them together.
6. A new project, blueprint to re-establish the SPURS identity, and onward to prosperity.
7. Don't bloody delay, get it done....
Like it Fevvers but please, please no Sherwood!