What about the loan players (in)? | Page 5 | Vital Football

What about the loan players (in)?

Why exactly could we not compete for a 5m player?

All of the debt has gone so we are starting with a clean slate.

Losses are decreasing.

Income is on the up.

Under the terms of FFP we can record the fee over the length of the players contract; say 5m over a 5 year contract - you might need to take your shoes and socks off to calculate that one!

The problem will be wages and there will be far more chance of meeting the demands of the lad from Peterborough than the likes of Rhodes.

So, yes it would be entirely possible.

I think you are conflating 'paying for' a £5m player and competing for one.

Can we afford such a player? Yes, probably.

Can we compete with PP and richer clubs for a player with a £5m starting point?

I'm really not so sure.

If no one else wants Marriott then I'm sure it's not going to be a problem. But with 32 goals so far I doubt that will be the case.

£6m for Gary Madine, who I think is a deeply average striker is part of a worrying trend for clubs like us

Last edited:

I'm really not so sure.

If no one else wants Marriott then I'm sure it's not going to be a problem. But with 32 goals so far I doubt that will be the case.

£6m for Gary Madine, who o think is a deeply average striker is part of a worrying trend for clubs like us

Madine? His masterbate.

Exactly - but that is the issue with strikers now.

I still think that £15m for Britt seemed high, but if Boro do get promoted and he ends up playing in the EPL - his value probably spirals further?

I'm really not so sure.

£6m for Gary Madine, who I think is a deeply average striker is part of a worrying trend for clubs like us
Agree with all of that but I am hoping that money won’t be the only motivator for players.

In Marriotts case I am hoping that if we have a bid accepted he might like the idea of not having to uproot to play for us.

That being said I fully expect Peterborough to encourage a bidding war which may well see us priced out. As you say average players are going for silly money so we may have to be a bit more creative.

Why exactly could we not compete for a 5m player?

All of the debt has gone so we are starting with a clean slate.

Losses are decreasing.

Income is on the up.

Under the terms of FFP we can record the fee over the length of the players contract; say 5m over a 5 year contract - you might need to take your shoes and socks off to calculate that one!

The problem will be wages and there will be far more chance of meeting the demands of the lad from Peterborough than the likes of Rhodes.

So, yes it would be entirely possible.
Yeah thats my point lmfao