West Ham vs Chelsea | Vital Football

West Ham vs Chelsea

HarrowGill

Vital Youth Team
Seemingly, the powers that be very worried about tonight's EFL cup fixture, given as it's the first London derby at the Olympic/London stadium.

This is from West Ham's website...

http://www.whufc.com/News/Articles/2016/October/24-October/Supporters-urged-to-arrive-early-for-EFL-Cup-fixtu

And this is a message from from Chelsea FC's website to away fabs ahead of tonight'so fixture...

http://www.chelseafc.com/news/latest-news/2016/10/important-efl-cup-fixture-advice.html

I'd also add - for us that travel through there commuting as I do - there have been a plethora of social media messages (TFL/Jubilee Line/DLR/Southeastern) telling us to avoid and try to travel outside of 4pm-7pm. We usually get tweets and things warning us it'll be busy on matchdays, but not repeated ones telling us to avoid the area. Definitely the authorities are worried and trying to coordinate and manage things in great detail.

I can understand their concern, having been to the stadium. It is going to very difficult to police the area when the supporters leave the stadium. So many people heading the same way, and all the various train lines. Absolute nightmare I would think for a match between two London clubs. God knows what would happen it Millwall visited.

Surely in 2016 people can go to a top flight football match without needing an army of police and stewards to stop them being naughty.

Unfortunately Vambo that is not the case. Even the older original members of west hams ICF and Chelsea's Headhunters, meet up and go these matches looking for a bit of action. Men in there 40s and 50s.

Ah yes the late 70s and early 80s when 'agro' ( or 'aggro' to give it its proper spelling) was the talk of our 5th and 6th year common room on a Monday morning. Tearing up Brentford, chasing Col U lads and losing the game but winning the fight was more important. Never indulged myself as I was a bit of a wimp but thought it was a thing of the past since they took the lead out of petrol?

It's a weird world, some of them even meet up and discuss the old times with thugs from other teams, usually over a few pints of ale. "Do u remember when I kicked your face in ? " " yes never been kicked so hard, spent 2 months in hospital, good times and happy days, the youth of today don't know the meaning of soccer violence"

Indeed, because despite flooding Stratford and the surrounding area with thousands of rozzers, restricting access to/from Westfield shopping centre, and banning the sale of alcohol before and after the game, it *still* kicked-off and the area was said to look like a warzone after the match.

I bet the locals and the Westfield management team will have a brown trouser moment when they play their next local fixture against Arsenal at home on Saturday 3rd December- might not be a good day to do Christmas shopping or take the javelin train to/from Medway.

HarrowGill - 27/10/2016 13:56

Indeed, because despite flooding Stratford and the surrounding area with thousands of rozzers, restricting access to/from Westfield shopping centre, and banning the sale of alcohol before and after the game, it *still* kicked-off and the area was said to look like a warzone after the match.

I bet the locals and the Westfield management team will have a brown trouser moment when they play their next local fixture against Arsenal at home on Saturday 3rd December- might not be a good day to do Christmas shopping or take the javelin train to/from Medway.
Wasn't a warzone according to the 2 West Ham fans that I work with that went to the match!? We'll probably see pictures of the "warzone" and fighting soon, all I've seen so far is a couple of thrown plastic chairs, and a few fans shouting at each other

My mate from Mile End went as well and he is not one to exaggerate when he uses the term 'warzone', so I'm inclined to believe him. Also, one of workmates usually passes through Stratford and he again mentioned he would never again travel through there if West Ham were playing at home.

Still, on the upside, it might soon be a cheap place to buy a flat- quite a few locals seem to be complaining about the impact that West Ham and all the chaos in Stratford and the Olympic Stadium are now having on the value of their 'investment'.

Westfield is an absolute nightmare to shop at anyway. the place is always ram jammed and you can't get a table at any of the restaurants without waiting about 40 minutes either. Not a nice place to be at all really. Admitedly, like most men I know, I don't particularly like shopping anyway, but this place is far worse than Bluewater. I'd never consider shopping there unless I absolutely had to.

HarrowGill - 27/10/2016 13:56

Won't stop me travelling if we draw Orient away in the 2nd round of the Cup on that day.

alphabet_king - 27/10/2016 15:19

Westfield is an absolute nightmare to shop at anyway. the place is always ram jammed and you can't get a table at any of the restaurants without waiting about 40 minutes either. Not a nice place to be at all really. Admitedly, like most men I know, I don't particularly like shopping anyway, but this place is far worse than Bluewater. I'd never consider shopping there unless I absolutely had to.
I have to walk through the shithole every day to get the High Speed home. On your average day it's full of numbskulls getting in my way who really are not my type of people at all - I was almost started on by a "local" near the shopping centre exit for the international station last week for having the temerity to stare at him after he booted a football at me (obviously it was out of order of me to be slightly pissed off at someone kicking a ball around a shopping centre). And now we have the centre full of a very different type of numbskull every fortnight, who are equally contemptible and not my type of people, but have to be negotiated.

I certainly wouldn't choose to shop there.

alphabet_king - 27/10/2016 15:19

Agreed. It's full of annoying "yoots".