West Brom v Swansea | Vital Football

West Brom v Swansea

keith margam

Vital Football Legend
So we move on to this Wednesday’s game, away to WBA, with one eye on the cup game on Saturday.
The Baggies were relegated with us last season, but unlike us kept all their players,
They are struggling financially as a consequence and have had to borrow money recently in advance of parachute payments.
Yesterday they sacked their manager Darren Moore after drawing at home to bottom club Ipswich, even though they are 4th in the table.

We lost the corresponding home fixture last November 1-2, here are the managers comments after the game -

Graham Potter:
"The effort was there - we put everything into the game. We lacked something in the final third in the second half but, while we're disappointed with the result, there are large aspects of the performance that were pleasing.
It's hard to be really pleased after a loss, but I think there's a lot to go forward with. We now have to focus on regrouping, putting the disappointment behind us and trying to go to Derby (lost) in a positive frame of mind."

Darren Moore -
“It was a hard fought win today, I thought we found a way to come down here tonight that asked questions of the opponents, and we had to find a way to win through set pieces.
To score with set plays you need the right delivery, the right timing of runs and the right contact, and we got those right tonight which led to our two goals.
It's the third win in a row, but I thought tonight we played against a dynamic side and the key tonight was the quick response to their goal, it gave us a foothold in the game.
The Championship is littered with quality teams, it's an exciting division, and that will continue until the end of the season, so I'm not looking at the league table at the moment."

McBurnie out again with sickness bug for the WBA match. Byers doubtful with groin injury. Fer not expected back until after the International break.

Not great timing for us in terms of West Brom sacking Darren Moore. Maybe they'll now play players in the right position and play as they should considering the quality they have the large retention of last season's squad.

Swans 68% possession first half.
West Brom 6 shots, 1 on target = 1 goal
Swans 6 shots, 3 on target = 0 goals
WBA goal from a free kick out wide, Naughton foul, then he watches the free kick go past him without even trying to stop it. Nordfelt caught sleeping and out of position.
Penalty for foul on VdH. Celina takes it and slips and falls over FFS.
It’s a comedy of errors.
This team hasn’t won at home since Boxing Day and were trying to gift them the match.

That man Naughton concedes a corner again. High cross, header far post, in the net 2-0.
Do we have to turn up on Saturday? It’ll be a cricket score against this shambles.

Last edited:
3-0, it was men against boys the commentator said, hard to disagree.
Clueless in attack, clueless in defence, we are in relegation mode, thank god we’ve got points in hand. We wouldn’t have scored if they’d played another 90 mins.

3-0, it was men against boys the commentator said, hard to disagree.
Clueless in attack, clueless in defence, we are in relegation mode, thank god we’ve got points in hand. We wouldn’t have scored if they’d played another 90 mins.

That was the same at Norwich as well. All the possession and more clear cut chances tonight, 4 of them and we couldn't even put one of them away - not for the first time this season either and quite a regular occurence. Poor defensive display too, a couple from corners and a free kick from wide with no cover at the front post for a simple clearance.

Was Celina trying the Panenka last night? Whatever he was attempting, his standing leg gave way and the ball trickled away to his right.
The Panenka is a technique used in penalty kick taking in which the taker, instead of kicking the ball to the left or right of the goalkeeper, gives a subtle touch underneath the ball, causing it to rise and fall within the centre of the goal, deceiving the goalkeeper who is counted on by the taker to have guessed a side and committed a dive away from the centre. It was first used by Czech player Antonin Panenka who presented this technique to the world in the 1976 Euefa National Championship final, when he beat German goalkeeper Sepp Maier to claim the title for the Czech national team.

Potter admits his side need to be far more clinical in front of goal in the future.
"If we had those chances again, I think we'd score. This is one those nights where we didn't. The challenge for us is to reproduce those opportunities. That's the second hardest thing. The hardest thing is to put the ball in the net."

Bersant Celina on his penalty miss:
"First of all thanks to travelling fans yesterday.
Secondly my penalty. Was it funny? Yes. Could I control the situation? No. I slipped.
Do I feel like I cost the team? Yes, I'm sorry but I know my team has my back whatever happens.
Last thing is to some people that think this would somehow break me down, you are truly mistaken.
Thanks for the motivation."