We're nor singing any more | Vital Football

We're nor singing any more

Extremely so. Outfought. Outbattled. No pace. No fight. No decent passes. No passion. No F*ckin' chance.

One good goal scored by us. 3 goals that should have embarassed the entire defence scored by them.

1st goal cross from the left, unmarked player at the far post who put the ball unopposed acros the goal to one of two more unmarked players.

2nd goal very well taken goal by Murphy but how on earth was he able to get the ball, outside the area, and run, unopposed, into the area, veer left and curl it just inside the left hand post.

3rd goal shot parried by Carson and it runs to a Brewers player at the far post who knocked it in.......... you guessed it, unopposed.

At the end of the day, we got what we deserved from this game, nothing. Why and how though?

Guess a) too many tired players from 3 games in a week

Guess b) tactics that invite the opposition to come on to you

Guess c) an inability to pass to a team mate

Guess d) no movement to give the man with the ball options ot outlets

Guess e) all of the above and more

Take your pick.

I am dumbfounded.

Only plus is that I am on my 5th Grolsch as I type this and that will be followed by a full English and a trip into Amsterdam for 6 hours of great music at Northern Soul Amsterdam.

Can’t believe that. It’s now official...I must know **** all about football and I’m just going to defer to mista and mac from now on.
All hope is lost. Not going to start blaming Morris or Rowett but when you lose 7-2 to the two bottom clubs in a fortnight there is something so seriously wrong that I, for one, don’t know how to even start putting it right.
Gutted is an understatement but at least I can now go back to the beach. How in God’s name do we move forward from this latest shambles?

Extremely so. Outfought. Outbattled. No pace. No fight. No decent passes. No passion. No F*ckin' chance.

One good goal scored by us. 3 goals that should have embarassed the entire defence scored by them.

1st goal cross from the left, unmarked player at the far post who put the ball unopposed acros the goal to one of two more unmarked players.

2nd goal very well taken goal by Murphy but how on earth was he able to get the ball, outside the area, and run, unopposed, into the area, veer left and curl it just inside the left hand post.

3rd goal shot parried by Carson and it runs to a Brewers player at the far post who knocked it in.......... you guessed it, unopposed.

At the end of the day, we got what we deserved from this game, nothing. Why and how though?

Guess a) too many tired players from 3 games in a week

Guess b) tactics that invite the opposition to come on to you

Guess c) an inability to pass to a team mate

Guess d) no movement to give the man with the ball options ot outlets

Guess e) all of the above and more

Take your pick.

I am dumbfounded.

Only plus is that I am on my 5th Grolsch as I type this and that will be followed by a full English and a trip into Amsterdam for 6 hours of great music at Northern Soul Amsterdam.

Curious, someone just said the same, word for word, in the other place! Guess you will be sharing those Grolsches Mr Pant ( if not playing in the IPL)

Its a bit of an eye opener for me, not gonna blame Rowett.....yet and I'm certainly not blaming Morris for choosing a manager and stumping up the money but I'm in total disbelief and shock and cannot explain whats gone wrong, its like a switch was flicked. How can you go from holding your own and going on a run and ending up 2nd on merit because lets be fair we weren't gifted it and then to totally collapse and lose all form apart from the relegation form we now play with, whats happened? We all know full well if we'd won the play offs this team would of been disassembled pretty sharpish, only 2 or 3 would be starting in the PL but right now I don't even care about not being in the play offs for that to happen.......

I'm rambling so I'll shut up for a bit, shocked.....not won in 17 or whatever, not won since november.....don't worry Derbys next

Well I'm gonna break ranks!! I blame Rowett!!
Any of his predecessors under Morris would be given short shrift, I'm sorry but his credibility is shot. No idea how to stop the rot, no justification to keep him, stability ain't possible with someone who's team have no idea of the meaning of dying for the shirt!!

Any of his predecessors under Morris would be given short shrift, I'm sorry but his credibility is shot. No idea how to stop the rot, no justification to keep him, stability ain't possible with someone who's team have no idea of the meaning of dying for the shirt!!

In the end Rowett has assembled this team I presume and whilst some experience was a good thing, seems he has signed a lot of past their sell by date players who are just picking up one last wedge before they retire.

Were they Rowetts choice or were they foisted upon him? he certainly seems to have lost touch and like numerous other Derby managers before him, has no plan B, no idea how to change things and certainly cannot change a game by bold substitutions!

I'm generally not in favour of sacking the manager until he has had time to build a team over at least 3 transfer windows and I'm not sure who we would recruit in his place - so would stick with him for now. But he has to take some of the blame for these gutless performances!

The buck has to stop with Rowett. What manager sees his team outplayed and looking tired and leggy on Wednesday, yet sends the same team out just three days later to face a side haunted by relegation and there for the taking...................................Then sees the same team struggle and continue in the same poor form, looking tired and lacking in ambition and ideas, yet fails to add some pace, youth or anyone with heart to defend the Rams play-off place..................................... This was an absolute shambles and either it is sorted or Rowett walks in the next four games for me..............

I don't care who he puts out, they need to have some idea of how to play. I'm struggling to see any creativity going forward, we can't expect to win games with a Vydra / Lawrence wonder strike, or dogged determination from Weimann. There needs to be more, some sort of pattern of play, some form of ideas to create chances. Its just all so hopeful at the moment. This is all down to the manager, what the hell do they work on in training?

Huddlestone was a poor signing, he's too slow to sit back and cover the defence because he gets turned to quickly. And teams know he's going to try a clipped ball down the wing so they cut it off, rendering him ineffective.

Ledley, pretty much the same. It's ok having an older head in the middle, if it's complimented with youth / pace around it.

Lawrence is our only creative midfielder, and teams know this, which is why he's not as effective as we'd all like.

I was happy to witness a mid-table season of inconsistency whilst we rebuild, but this is consistently appalling. Rowett needs to pull something out of the bag.

If a team of players can't motivate themselves to get 3 points against relegation fodder and to have a chance to make the play offs and be in with a chance to play in the Premiership, Then there's no chance!

Okay...I think that the criticism of Rowett from Mac and Bloomer above is actually fair but so too is MoP’s point. These players shouldn’t need motivating and is two games in four days really too much to ask?
Look at Liverpool...Man. City (h), Everton (a), Man. City (a) in six days...didn’t hear any complaints...yes they’re better players but that doesn’t necessarily impact on fitness and fight.
Rowett has had players up for the fight before at both Burton and Birmingham. His very average Blues side absolutely destroyed Derby in what I think proved to be Clement’s last home match...they totally out fought us and yet this Derby side looks to have no fight left in it.
So do we really want to start on the managerial merry go round yet again? There is no doubting Rowett’s hunger to manage in the top flight so it must surely come down to this bunch of overpaid prima donnas wondering if their more than comfortable existence might be jeopardised by promotion or, perish the thought, a three match extension to this season.
How long are those contracts?

It's not about criticism rA. I like and want Rowett to succeed but look at the facts. Yes, he made Brum better than they were and he did the same with us before Xmas, but the crux is when sheer guts and determination from your team falters what else have you, as a manager, to offer.?? And that is my point (and worry for the future), Rowett has shown that he has none and is completely devoid of ideas on how to turn the collapse around. The points Bloomer makes identify this and leave Rowett as another one trick pony!

Last edited:
It's not about criticism rA. I like and want Rowett to succeed but look at the facts. Yes, he made Brum better than they were and he did the same with us before Xmas, but the crux is when sheer guts and determination from your team falters what else have you, as a manager, to offer.?? And that is my point (and worry for the future), Rowett has shown that he has noneahnd is completely devoid of ideas on how to turn the collapse around. The points Bloomer makes identify this and leave Rowett as another one trick pony!

Rather like previous managers then, stick to what worked before and somehow hope it will come good again!

It's not about criticism rA. I like and want Rowett to succeed but look at the facts. Yes, he made Brum better than they were and he did the same with us before Xmas, but the crux is when sheer guts and determination from your team falters what else have you, as a manager, to offer.?? And that is my point (and worry for the future), Rowett has shown that he has noneahnd is completely devoid of ideas on how to turn the collapse around. The points Bloomer makes identify this and leave Rowett as another one trick pony!

It is about criticism mac. You are, without doubt, being critical...but that’s fair enough, you’ve every right to be and your criticism isn’t of the empty headed rant variety...it’s justified.
I don’t doubt the ambition of both the manager and the owner though and it’s the players who have a track record of abject failure whenever the finishing line comes into sight. I’m just asking....why?

Why, well each collapse has been slightly different but there is a common theme!! All teams have a way playing, usually around some well defined principle known to all coaches but with individual twists. It's easy for the opposition to work out a club's formula but not necessarily easy to counter it if the team has flexibilty built within it. Such flexibility may come from the players on the pitch or those on the bench. The manager will determine what variations are needed if a game is'nt following the desired path. The quality of the coach now takes on that vital ingredient of management and control. How can I change the game, what have I got on the bench, are individuals having a bad day, who from their side is causing the trouble and how can we counter them, will a change of system help etc etc.
The common theme is that when the crunch has come whoever has been in charge has not had that vital element of control. They have completely lost control of how the team is functioning and how to address basic problems within the team. That is a common p roblem for all coaches, it's a survival of the fittest situation and I am sorry to say GR ain't surviving

An intelligent appraisal mac and one that doubtless has some truth in it, but can successive managers all have been so clueless? After all, McClaren, Clement, Pearson and now Rowett all seem to have run up against the same problem.
Remember two years ago...the last time we scraped into the play offs...one of the direst performances of all time in the first leg to set Hull up with an unassailable lead, only for us to give everything and play like world beaters a few days later under Wassall?
I never began to understand that Jekyll and Hyde play off performance and I can’t fathom this latest collapse...unless there’s something a whole lot more sinister going on.

Bruce gave an insight to the Hull situation when he said that he did'nt fully focus his players on the replay and that they had the final on their mind. With regard to Clement he was a complete rookie and left before facing 'the wall' whilst Pearson had shown at other clubs he could modify his tactics but did'nt get the chance at Derby. SM made the same mistake twice and had zilch flexibility. Facts are pointing towards GR falling into the same category.

Hard to argue with that Mac only Pearson only did it with Leicester because he has the brains of Shakespeare just ask any foxes fan How did Rowett take Brum from 21st relegation looming to finish just outside the playoffs

Latest Rams News