We're in Shakespeare | Vital Football

We're in Shakespeare

jokerman

Vital Football Hero
Henry VI part 2 Act 4
Sir Humphrey confronts Jack Cade's (played by Trevor Peacock in this version) rebellion, and says

"Rebellious hinds, the filth and scum of Kent"

Seriously, who else could it be?

Then when Lord Say is pleading for his life he says

"Kent, in the Commentaries Caesar writ,
Is term'd the civil'st place of this isle:
Sweet is the country, because full of riches;
The people liberal, valiant, active, wealthy;
Which makes me hope you are not void of pity."

So what do we do? We kill him and proceed to trash London.
Truly, we are a pale shadow of our forefathers.

I got a detention because of Shakepeare. My English teacher pulled me up on my poor english (eg dropped t's) and I said "If you are worried about me speaking proper English why the fuck are you teaching me Shakespeare?" Not sure if the detention was for swearing or the Shakespeare comment. Oh, to be 16 again and not care about what I say.....the same teacher had my prefectship taken away after a day, that's right a 'kin single day,🤬, as I walked into her class with khaki army trousers on, tucked in to my muddy DMs and with my Siouxsie tee shirt on. A tad harsh if you ask me🤔

I got a detention because of Shakepeare. My English teacher pulled me up on my poor english (eg dropped t's) and I said "If you are worried about me speaking proper English why the fuck are you teaching me Shakespeare?" Not sure if the detention was for swearing or the Shakespeare comment. Oh, to be 16 again and not care about what I say.....the same teacher had my prefectship taken away after a day, that's right a 'kin single day,🤬, as I walked into her class with khaki army trousers on, tucked in to my muddy DMs and with my Siouxsie tee shirt on. A tad harsh if you ask me🤔
Prefect ????
Bloody hell, you was hard core punk 😂👍

Henry VI part 2 Act 4
Sir Humphrey confronts Jack Cade's (played by Trevor Peacock in this version) rebellion, and says

"Rebellious hinds, the filth and scum of Kent"

Seriously, who else could it be?

Then when Lord Say is pleading for his life he says

"Kent, in the Commentaries Caesar writ,
Is term'd the civil'st place of this isle:
Sweet is the country, because full of riches;
The people liberal, valiant, active, wealthy;
Which makes me hope you are not void of pity."

So what do we do? We kill him and proceed to trash London.
Truly, we are a pale shadow of our forefathers.

Is this a tester, Guvnor ? I think we can trace through some more interesting and perhaps, direct, connections to Priestfield !

Starting with Henry V1 and arriving, after albeit, a slight meander, to Arden of Feversham and thereto, the Abbey at Faversham, connecting the first Earl of Faversham and subsequent owner of the Abbey - Earl Sondes - who, as we all know, placed a rather large timepiece into the Rainham End corner of Priestfield Stadium - UTG.......

Prefect ????
Bloody hell, you was hard core punk 😂👍
They thought the resposibility would have a positive impact on my behaviour, and on my mate who was a skinhead...both of us Gills fans I might add. I was, probably, the most intelligent in my year at that time. That wasn't too difficult as the school was rough and full of ***** kids, but I hated the authority and was very gobby and disrespectful. There were only 2 teachers I had any respect for, both women. My maths teacher and, surprisingly, my RE teacher. The RE teacher suffered with parkinsons and was the only one to make any real connect with me by talking to me like an adult. She was 'kin awesome and the best teacher I ever had by a country mile.

Sorry to say this friends but the Bard was no Gills fan. He clearly expressed his love of Crystal Palace when he wrote "My gorgeous Palace" in 'Richard II'.

Then the poet Robert Frost clearly signalled his allegiance to Millwall: "Something there is who doesn't love a 'Wall".

Then Gerard Manley Hopkins revealed his support for Tottenham: "The fine delight that fathers thought; the strong Spurs, live and lancing..."

It appears that when it comes to literary supporters we are a cultural desert (unless of course you exclude Rod Hull)

Sorry to say this friends but the Bard was no Gills fan. He clearly expressed his love of Crystal Palace when he wrote "My gorgeous Palace" in 'Richard II'.

Then the poet Robert Frost clearly signalled his allegiance to Millwall: "Something there is who doesn't love a 'Wall".

Then Gerard Manley Hopkins revealed his support for Tottenham: "The fine delight that fathers thought; the strong Spurs, live and lancing..."

It appears that when it comes to literary supporters we are a cultural desert (unless of course you exclude Rod Hull)

Not forgetting the wine writer Oz Clarke.
I spoke to him many times at Gills. Came across as a really nice bloke and totally passionate about Gills as we all are.

Who needs legitimacy from the Baird when we’ve got wine ?

Even bloody Chaucer who travelled throughout Kent only had time for non league Canterbury and Sitting(by the) Bourne. Ne're a mention of the Gills.

Now explorers are a totally different ball game. Will Adams was a true Gills guy. He achieved incredible things in the closed society of Japan. Apparently he got that gig from the Monarch for his very courageous exploration of the dangerous tribe of Twydall. How he got away from Beechings Avenue alive remains a mystery to this day.

Then of course David Livingstone, great explorer and scion of a circus family, was such a fan that they named a nearby road feature after him.