Wembley. | Vital Football

Wembley.

Chippy_Tea

Vital Squad Member
Looks like he has changed his mind, what are your views having read the second post in this thread. (i posted the original in the Snug at the home brew forum )

Fulham owner Shahid Khan has withdrawn his offer to buy Wembley Stadium from the Football Association after the plan became "divisive".

Khan had offered £600m for the national stadium, with the FA retaining the Club Wembley hospitality rights, which it valued at £250m to £300m.

The move was "more divisive then expected", said FA chief Martin Glenn.

Khan has not ruled out making another bid in future if there is more support from FA Council members.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/45893325

Should Wembley be sold and the money used for grass roots football?

I think it should it isn't Wembley its the new Wembley so for me the history went when they rebuilt it.

article-2286258-005EF51000000258-159_634x422.jpg

Read in full - https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/45665700

Pros and cons - what they say

FOR

The FA says only one in three grassroots pitches are of adequate quality and it will invest in facilities.

FA chief executive Martin Glenn: "This is an opportunity to unleash an unprecedented amount of investment into community football. Receiving an offer to sell Wembley Stadium is not a 'betrayal'. It is not selling the 'soul of the game'."

Prospective Wembley buyer Shahid Khan: "If you love English football, you want this deal to go ahead. This is a very good deal for all parties involved."

AGAINST

Opponents have suggested selling an iconic national venue is a short-term plan which the FA will live to regret.

Former England and Manchester United defender Gary Neville: "The FA feels to fund the grassroots programme, they have to sell a national asset - it's quite simply ridiculous. Don't sell Wembley when you can place a levy on agents' fees."

Ex-Wembley chairman and Chelsea owner Ken Bates: "I thought it was a joke at first. The FA is not a commercial institution; it is the custodian of the national game."

David Bernstein is suggesting there should be a premier league levy and Wembley should not be sold, is this the way forward?

The national stadium shouldn't be owned by anyone but the country,how many does it hold,it seems to big for Fulham if you ask me,anybody that's been to Coventrys or MK Dons grounds will know what I mean

Wembley: An outdoor stadium, with a maximum capacity of 90,000, although this is for football matches, not concerts. When the area behind the stage is closed, capacity is about 70,000 (or 60,000 if the pitch is seated, as it was for the gentry at the Diana gig).26 Jul 2007

I suspect the sport use for the stadium under his ownership would be American football.
However, that would still only be eight days in the autumn/winter as it currently stands, and would be several years down the line.

I suspect the sport use for the stadium under his ownership would be American football.
However, that would still only be eight days in the autumn/winter as it currently stands, and would be several years down the line.

I agree he was not intending to let it lie idle so England can play the odd game on it, there was more behind it.

I am a fan of the England team playing at stadiums around the country.

Was interested to learn this week that Spain do not have a 'national stadium' and it didn't seem to do them any harm in the past.