Wembley | Vital Football

Wembley

jogills

Vital Football Hero
Forget if we can our loss in the final and the fallout from the penalties. Some of that has overshadowed the disorder in and around the stadium. The numbers storming the turnstiles have now been reported at 5000. Those numbers, if anywhere near true, are shocking and pose difficult questions for football authorities, fans and government.

The displays of mass drunkenness and disorder in London and other cities, the disgraceful behaviour towards opposing fans and the level of general criminality shame us. I know other countries have had serious problems with their fans but surely that is not the standard we measure ourselves against.

Football generates the highest of passions and usually their release without violence and disorder. Those experiences should be available for all; they do not belong only to young, adult males fuelled up and primed for aggression.

Sadly reflects English society Jo. Read most local news stories and they are full of violence on Saturday nights.

There is little chance of the law being upheld and even if these people were arrested what's that chance of anything more than a slap on the wrist and "this is your last chance" from the judge.

England ticks all the boxes to be a great host of a tournament.

However it still ticks the reason for not awarding the tournament as well.

The English disease it used to be called. Its not been addressed

If it was no surprise to the average football fan then just what were the authorities playing at? Its a dereliction of duty.
Their remit is public order and the management and security of these events.

If it was no surprise to the average football fan then just what were the authorities playing at? Its a dereliction of duty.

One of the security guards was quoted as "I earn 8 quid an hour. I'm not being stabbed for that". Minimum cost outlay to maximise profits is part of the issue but mobs can overcome most rules of law for a short while.

It seems to be part of English society. Not British mind the Scots, Irish and Welsh fans seem to behave better on the national stage. It's definitely an English issue but not isolated to football. It's how a small minority act in general society.

I note that the KM has a wanted poster of a notorious 12 who the police want to speak to about violence in Maidstone after the match.
Hopefully they will be identified and bought to book.
Nothing more than thugs.

Sadly reflects English society Jo. Read most local news stories and they are full of violence on Saturday nights.

There is little chance of the law being upheld and even if these people were arrested what's that chance of anything more than a slap on the wrist and "this is your last chance" from the judge.

Spot on, Mark.

Reports indicate that a steward or stewards were seen taking cash from people gaining unauthorised access to the stadium. I`m not sure how frequent an even the "storming" of Wembley access gates is but doubt it`s commonplace. For such a large amount of people to turn up and, apparently in concert, force their way into the stadium via a "weak point" perhaps suggests that there was some sort of social media orchestration beforehand ? The FA, UEFA or Wembley Stadium plc - whichever was responsible for stewarding the game - well & truly failed in that regard. Maybe they just didn`t want to spend too much on security.

Hopefully they will be identified and bought to book.

ADHD, difficult childhood, trying to turn life around .........standards excuses lawyers will make

If you appear before me again, this is your last chance, etc. etc. From the judge.

Slap on wrist (suspended) and they all go down the pub laughing.

I have zero confidence than this sort of social disorder will get punished. Prisons are full so it's a vicious circle

Shouldn't matter given that they gave the last World Cup to a country with far greater race and football hooligan and violence problems, huge human rights issues, a lack of democracy and various other issues and the next World Cup is going to somewhere even worse. However, we all know that Fifa, Uefa and world football is looking to turn a blind eye to others when it suits but will jump all over us. This is best demonstrated by Uefa throwing numerous charges at us left, right and centre (some of them rightly) but dishing out minimal punishment to the likes of Hungary for clear, in the stadium, racist and homophobic abuse and turning a complete blind eye to arguably much more relevant issues on field, such as blatant cheating by Immobile and the Italians.

ADHD, difficult childhood, trying to turn life around .........standards excuses lawyers will make

If you appear before me again, this is your last chance, etc. etc. From the judge.

I have zero confidence than this sort of social disorder will get punished. Prisons are full so it's a vicious circle

Hang 'em high. ;-)

I completely condemn the scenes at Wembley on Sunday, but having been to the England semi final, I am sadly not surprised. I went through the first layer of security and couldn't get either my Covid passport or my ticket up on the phone as the mobile signal was clearly on overload, but was just waved through by the steward (I am guessing this was the same for many others). Once in, there was one more set of turnstiles or entrances to get through, but plenty of ways of pushing or forcing your way in. I remember saying to my mate at the time that we could easily come up on Sunday and blag our way in to the final (I was thinking blag rather than push or charge my way in, but being the law-abiding citizen I am, I didn't).

The message or thought of it being easy to blag or force your way in must have spread and clearly, there were hundreds if not thousands who did this on final day - either spontaneously/oppirtunistically or pre-determined/organised. As I say, I don't condone it at all, but the stadium and those in charge merit a lot of blame. And who was in in charge and responsible for the stadium on matchday? Uefa. I wonder if they'll be charging themselves? Further to my above comment, I guess this is one of the reasons they are throwing charges at the FA left, right and centre as they know from an authority point of view, they are ultimately to blame.

I'd also add I hear that Ed Sheeran got pinged today to self-isolate after attending Wembley. My mate got pinged today too; I am awaiting my notification, but hoping I'm missed or deemed not to have been exposed as have a drink up with friends planned tomorrow for the first time in months!

I'd also add I hear that Ed Sheeran got pinged today to self-isolate after attending Wembley. My mate got pinged today too; I am awaiting my notification, but hoping I'm missed or deemed not to have been exposed as have a drink up with friends planned tomorrow for the first time in months!

Turn Bluetooth off your phone, you'll be fine

Shouldn't matter given that they gave the last World Cup to a country with far greater race and football hooligan and violence problems, huge human rights issues, a lack of democracy and various other issues and the next World Cup is going to somewhere even worse. However, we all know that Fifa, Uefa and world football is looking to turn a blind eye to others when it suits but will jump all over .

You are 100% right. What we've done is given them a reason to deny us the opportunity to host.

We tick all the boxes in terms of stadiums, infrastructure, supportive government,football passion etc.

We should be the perfect Solution. We've just given them the "yeah but......".

Trouble is it costs the tax payer around 45K per year to keep someone behind bars