Well this is embarrassing | Page 2 | Vital Football

Well this is embarrassing

Honestly don't think any fans give a flying one about skin colour, sexuality etc as long as you're wearing our shirt. If anything iffy does get said during games it's almost certainly done to wind people up rather than said "in anger".

Honestly don't think any fans give a flying one about skin colour, sexuality etc as long as you're wearing our shirt. If anything iffy does get said during games it's almost certainly done to wind people up rather than said "in anger".
Ok but it's a sorry state where football seems the only sport left where gay players need to hide their sexuality.

Ok but it's a sorry state where football seems the only sport left where gay players need to hide their sexuality.

I don't know what's to be done about that. I really think it will take a few players to come out at once and take the flak.

And those giving it from the stands banned for life. I think it would be a very stupid minority.

I maybe speaking out of turn BUT what is 13 people in the grand scheme of our football club. Yes hate crime is a thing to be taken seriously but in our club that's believe it or not 0.0000002%. I feel too many people these days jump on the latest bandwagon and love to point their fingers.

I don’t actually think in this day and age 99% of fans could care less. Statistically, if anyone has played football chances are one of the squad was gay or you definitely played against someone who was - you probably didn’t know.

Now the problem here is that even if just 1% of fans are arseholes, that’s a big number of idiots in absolute terms.

The problem with a player coming out as gay is that it’ll be such a big deal, the papers will talk about it for days and the morning TV programmes will go on about it all morning. I doubt I’m on my own here, I really could give a shit what sexuality a player is - look at Hitzlesperger, average player who scored worldies and became a cult hero - would’ve been no different for most of us if he was out at the time.

I don’t actually think in this day and age 99% of fans could care less. Statistically, if anyone has played football chances are one of the squad was gay or you definitely played against someone who was - you probably didn’t know.

Now the problem here is that even if just 1% of fans are arseholes, that’s a big number of idiots in absolute terms.

The problem with a player coming out as gay is that it’ll be such a big deal, the papers will talk about it for days and the morning TV programmes will go on about it all morning. I doubt I’m on my own here, I really could give a shit what sexuality a player is - look at Hitzlesperger, average player who scored worldies and became a cult hero - would’ve been no different for most of us if he was out at the time.

I'm actually wondering what a person's sexuality has to to with anyone else, let alone the whole of the football world. Personally, I'm not interested just as I'm not remotely interested that Phil Scofield came out as gay. My daughter was gutted she had a crush on him when she was little

I'm actually wondering what a person's sexuality has to to with anyone else, let alone the whole of the football world. Personally, I'm not interested just as I'm not remotely interested that Phil Scofield came out as gay. My daughter was gutted she had a crush on him when she was little

Schofield proves the point, most of us couldn’t give a shit. I bet though Lorraine Kelly and Loose Women talked about for days though

I maybe speaking out of turn BUT what is 13 people in the grand scheme of our football club. Yes hate crime is a thing to be taken seriously but in our club that's believe it or not 0.0000002%. I feel too many people these days jump on the latest bandwagon and love to point their fingers.
A rather pointless statistic issued by the Home Office. I can only guess the idea of publishing it is to get clubs to do something. Not sure what.

Yeah but in the rugby world it was v quick and people quickly moved on. As Villan57 says no one cares. It's kind of late to happen. There is Megan Rapinoe but no one in the men's game

Can't speak for the UK, but I can tell you that there are plenty of sports in this country where it still very-much taboo.

I can't recall any negativity towards Der Hammer when he came out. I'm sure it would have been something for him to hide when he played (just as it was, sadly, for Justin Fashanu and others from his era), but times have changed and I can almost guarantee that if a current Villa player was openly gay that 99% of fans would not only be OK with it, but they'd probably rally around him in support.
I had a gay player on my team when I coached a college team here in the US back in the early 00's - great kid, tough as the next player, and never a question of him being shunned or treated differently by either his teammates or the staff.

Totally pointless stat for me how many times does a ref get called a useless twat during a match how many times do coppers and stewards get abused in a match and vice versa how many managers get abused even spat at and hit with missiles we don't have stats for this.That's football for ya passions run high things get said in the heat of the moment and 30 seconds later regretted what they have said.The best way to deal with it is ignore it because 99.9% there will be no deep rooted belief behind it.

We might be ok with our player, but the other teams fans might not be as charitable. 13 incidents is still 13 too many although I fully agree it’s a meaningless stat. It would be much better to total all incidents so that there is never an excuse for complacency, from any club.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/56570189

In the news for the wrong reasons again.

Why do we have do many twat fans?

Aston Villa have condemned anti-Semitic abuse posted online after the club wished fans a happy Passover.

There were hundreds of negative comments on the Facebook post, which was first uploaded on Saturday.

And more than 27,000 people reacted to the club's message of "Chag Pesach Sameach" with an 'angry' emoji.
[/QUOTE ]

It’s not good for the PR of the club that’s for sure.

The one thing I would question though, are the people who put the emoji “fans” or “followers”. Fans are those who support the club first and foremost, and if geographically possible, go to the games or take a keen interest. “Followers” are just people who make up a social media statistic.

We have millions of followers online, I imagine we have a lot of “followers” from people around Israel - who let’s be honest - aren’t fans of Jewish people and vice versa.

Last edited:
Sad thing is. It’s not really a surprise, it’s not even a shock . Lost count of how many clubs recently have had to condemn their ’fans’ over racist abuse of players. So I can’t even be bothered to get my knickers in a twist about how it looks for the club because there will be something else on another club or player tomorrow. Today’s news, tomorrows chip paper etc. Certainly not an indication that we are worse than anyone else in terms of complete idiots.

I‘d ban Twitter right now. Don’t know why football clubs are not suspending their accounts. We survived before Twitter, we’ll survive after.

Exactly, very little to do with us as a club. I don’t follow any other teams on social media, but it’s like me following Barcelona and disliking a post they put based on religion or something.

We’re a football club, geopolitics of the Middle East are something that none of us here can truly understand or resolve. It’s just a bit of bad luck, we’ve tried to be PC and our name will be the story.