Well I won't be clapping - This is some warped joke surely? | Page 2 | Vital Football

Well I won't be clapping - This is some warped joke surely?

Meh! Owners / Chairmen have never, on the whole, been likeable figures; selfishness, self interest, pomposity and bullying abound. Doug was no worse than average, possibly better. He certainly wasn't the worst chairman of this club. Whether you like it or not, he was part of the club for a long time; things could have been done better or differently, but they could also have been done a lot worse.
You have got to be joking

Not sure why this clap has been suggested. Doug was a business man above everything else a villa fan came well below that.

He certainly kept the books balanced and took plenty for himself also. The number of stories from former managers and employees only seem to confirm the image of as him as an egotistical wanna be celebrity.

Naming the Witton Lane stand after himself is an act of pure narcissism and hopefully in time it will be renamed, how about "The Rotterdam 82 stand".

I'd hate to see any booing of an elderly man but don't think we should be celebrating frugal business men and their longevity.

This is no way defending Doug but the debacle of this summer would never have happened on his watch nor was relegation ever a threat
No it could have got a lot worse because there is no way in the world he would have accepted being a minority share holder and administration would have been inevitable. Yes I know what ya mean he would never have let things get so bad but it's my understanding that we weren't far off it when Randy stepped in because he had stopped putting money in long before and we were definitely heading for relegation that's for sure.

The only thing I would say is that he wouldn’t have put up with Bruce’s excuses week in week out

This is no way defending Doug but the debacle of this summer would never have happened on his watch nor was relegation ever a threat

he got us relegated on his return, after ripping up the team of 82

Before he went, we were on our knees, DOL era and were surely heading back down.

I don't understand your take on his time here!

Before he went, we were on our knees, DOL era and were surely heading back down.

As stated, not defending him and agree with all you and others say, he was a self serving parasite. My point is the Chinese clown is a far bigger snake oil salesman than Doug ever was

As stated, not defending him and agree with all you and others say, he was a self serving parasite. My point is the Chinese clown is a far bigger snake oil salesman than Doug ever was

We used to have local chancers, now we have international chancers. Can't argue re Xia, never bought what that pratt was selling!

Being an owner has to be to a large part, down to having a large ego because a big club bleeds money out at an alarming rate and they should know that before they buy a club.

Ellis was a millionaire with a corner shop mentality when at the time we desperately needed a multi-millionaire with lots of money to carry on with the great work Ron Saunders was doing in building teams.

Unfortunately, Ellis continually used the club to satisfy his ego through the media etc and I suspect always at the back of his mind was the plan to turn Villa Park into the Doug Ellis memorial ground thus ensuring his memory remained in peoples minds even when he passes.

The renaming of the Witton Lane and the knocking down and completely rebuilding the Holte End and Trinity Road can be considered to be evidence of this!?

Then we finally got the billionaire we needed (and decent man) with Randy Lerner arriving at Villa Park with the very best of intentions but the wrong personnel running the club on his behalf.

It didn't take long for the realisation of how much money was actually being spent - a rumoured overbearing mother whispering in his ear!? plus a very messy, public and expensive divorce made him realise that actually he hasn't got enough money or the heart anymore, to do the job right and it became obvious that being a billionaire wasn't enough and you actually need to be a multi-billionaire resulting in that he lost all interest in the club.

Next, we had a man claiming to be a Dr and a multi-billionaire in charge of mystery companies within China and someone even Chinese people had never heard of so pointless even trying to Google the guy because he doesn't exist which makes you wonder if, in reality, he was just a front man for some Chinese businessmen?....That's my own guess.

Now we have 2 immensely rich owners in Nassef Sawiris and Wes Edens and all of a sudden Aston Villa are now the 3rd or 4th richest club in the UK which alone takes some beating.

They have impressed me with their methodical, preplanned and calm approach in taking over the club which hasn't involved any knee-jerk reactions and something I'm sure Steve Bruce is grateful of!

However, I bet when it actually comes to what they want and how they go about getting it they would be ruthless so you can put money on them already squeezing Tony Xia & Co out of the club.

At long last, we actually have real money men in charge of the club, however, having already gone through the above other owners and all the problems they created you have to remain cautious as well.

If you want to clap Ellis then you do so but not for me thanks. In my opinion, he doesn't deserve it and only Ellis would want that while he is still alive to see it and not deceased which is the normal way of doing a tribute.

Last edited:

And let’s not forget the near-relegation circa 1991 (Venglos as manager) after we had finished runner-up the year before... I think that counted as being “in danger” of relegation....

And let’s not forget the near-relegation circa 1991 (Venglos as manager) after we had finished runner-up the year before... I think that counted as being “in danger” of relegation....
And we bounced back almost immediately and should have won it again, a cup then 4th and and another cup a fa cup semi then a couple of years later top of the league at Christmas, FA cup final, give me a decade like that again any time soon and I will die happy

And we bounced back almost immediately and should have won it again, a cup then 4th and and another cup a fa cup semi then a couple of years later top of the league at Christmas, FA cup final, give me a decade like that again any time soon and I will die happy
I was responding to the comment about relegation never being a threat under his ownership. Nothing more....

Reactions: OVB
Dec 68 new board organised by pat Mathews. Ellis brought on as had experience at blues.
A good board brum wealthy businessmen. Then out of the summer blue Ellis turns up at director Jim Hartley’s Norfolk broads holiday boat.

“I’ve come for your support in getting rid o f Harry Parkes”
Doug you’ve come all this way to tell me that , sorry can’t support that. Ellis couldn’t get the support he needed so he called an EGM and got rid of all of them.
The EGM was vile. Villa supporters fighting each other in the stand.
All because Ellis couldn’t get on with Parkes. He hated that Harry had played for the Villa and new a fair bit more of the game than he did.

It was obvious to anyone with half a brain that Ellis wouldn’t be happy until he was in full charge. His first game in charge was the world club champiosnp where on the pitch he told Tony Barton there would be no bonus for winning the game.

His ego stopped him bringing Clough in when 95% of mail readers wanted him. Then when Saunders was becoming bigger st the club he had to go. Same with BFR
Why would you aplaud a man , surposeably one of us , for taking millions of pounds out of our great club.
And all because Doug didn’t like Harry.

This rewriting of history is redicilous.