Well I won't be clapping - This is some warped joke surely? | Vital Football

Well I won't be clapping - This is some warped joke surely?

Seen this on WhatsApp on Monday and basically laughed at it because there's one here that won't be fucking clapping. Suppose the younger ones only remember that he was the last chairman to win some silverware and that's fair enough. But being 55 I remember all the crap he has done and it far outweighs any positives. Also all the bull shit he used to spout remember the crap with Les Ferdinand when he had a bid accepted when he knew he was already on his way to Newcastle. Anyone who wants to clap your choice I will bow my head and as for this idiot saying shame on you if you don't clap :finger:

It's a no from me. Ever since 1978 he has caused nothing but upheaval in the quest to run the club for himself. Had he gained control in 1978 the first thing he would have done was sack Lord Ron and then the league and the European Cup would never have happened.

Applaud? Not a chance.

You don't need a long memory or a bitter heart to remember the damage that man did to our club .... but it helps. Rename the stand 'Ron Saunders' or 'Dennis Mortimer' and honour the memory of the manager, his staff and the players but never do anything but coldly acknowledge Ellis's plundering of the club in that era.

I shan't be there and whilst I wouldn't disrespect an old man by booing, I couldn't in all conscience applaud.
However, he did win a few brownie points from me when he shook Abramovich's hand as the latter left early in disgust at the hockeying we were giving Chelsea (for once!).

It's a free world but if I was going I would firmly cross my arms and not even give him a minute of my time.

They say elephants don't forget well Villa fans won't forget either Mr Eliis and the sooner the Witton Lane is changed to the Ron Saunders Stand the better.

I could tell you a story about how that stand was named after him purely to satisfy and feed his massive ego but I'll save it for another time.

It's a free world but if I was going I would firmly cross my arms and not even give him a minute of my time.

They say elephants don't forget well Villa fans won't forget either Mr Eliis and the sooner the Witton Lane is changed to the Ron Saunders Stand the better.

I could tell you a story about how that stand was named after him purely to satisfy and feed his massive ego but I'll save it for another time.
Agree with all that's been posted. I was told that one of his first actions was to have all artefacts (pictures, ornaments, wood panelling, china, stained glass etc) relating to the Club's glorious Victorian/Edwardian period chucked into skips. Criminal. Destruction of the Trinity Road Stand. Criminal. Every expense spared North and 'His' Stand. Criminal. So, no problem with him having the clap.

I'd rather clap for Tony Barton and as a ropost to the shocking and disgraceful way he was treated by the club both before and after he passed away. I have worked with people who worked for Ellis in his other business interests and the same stories crop up about him as a person and how he conducted himself.

Absolutely ridiculous suggestion/idea. When the man passes away I would observe the remembrance purely out of respect for the departed. However, this ludicrous suggestion that he is “one of our own” is sickening to be honest. Yes, he was there for 35 years, taking money, holding back manager after manager, naming a stand after himself, and most-criminally, forcing the break up of the greatest team that this club has ever produced....

Unless he's dead I couldn't give a shit.

I'm too young to remember before the 90's but I've learned a lot about how he ran the club and obviously the dismantling of the European Cup side.

Meh! Owners / Chairmen have never, on the whole, been likeable figures; selfishness, self interest, pomposity and bullying abound. Doug was no worse than average, possibly better. He certainly wasn't the worst chairman of this club. Whether you like it or not, he was part of the club for a long time; things could have been done better or differently, but they could also have been done a lot worse.