well done Brentford | Vital Football

well done Brentford

Good for Brentford for finding their own path by agreement but congratulation sounds hollow from some quarters.

Taking the knee and speaking out loud and strong about abuse has been a credit to this generation of young footballers. Opposed in the flesh by organised groups of their own fans, ridiculed in the media and misrepresented by senior government politicians they have stood firm. They have dodged the traps set by those seeking to silence them by hijacking their message, or by setting opinion against them.

It is this specific and unaligned movement in our game that has brought the first real actions against racist and other abuse in our game and country. Shame on the politicians, the media and football authorities. They will certainly not eradicate racism but well done the players for trying and keep on pushing.

Whilst in a perfect world racism would not exist, unfortunately this isn’t a perfect world. I don’t think it will ever be eradicated fully. Just as most people recognise different skin colour and culture is nothing to be wary of, looked up to, down on, or anything else. There are some who will not agree. I’m afraid I don’t think any amount of education will change their views. They appear to be as entrenched as religious beliefs in some, or football team affiliation in others.

That doesn’t mean we shouldn’t keep trying, obviously, yet I feel kneeling has a long time ago run it’s course. It is now just another pre match ritual that is shown but washes over most. Just as lining up, handshakes, coin toss, minutes silence/applause, have all become.

I think Brentford should be commended for this statement, and feel they may get some bad press for a few days because of it. But I do think others will follow suit in a few weeks.

Agree with all of that Rob apart from the suggestion that Brentford will get some bad press but others will follow. I don't think they will but if they do it will be marginal and small. I don't think this has run its course more that this particular expression has. Individual players, supported by their peers, are refusing to accept the situation online and anre forcing clubs and authorities to pressure government. This movement has legs. There is nothing sacrosanct about taking the knee and sportsmen and women will do it as long as and whenever they feel it appropriate.

A great former player, John Barnes, who experienced racism back in the days when it was much more prevalent than today, has said that taking the knee should be discontinued, I believe for reasons similar to those expressed by Rob. That's good enough for me.

Clenched fist salute far more powerful symbol anyway.

No Hatred
Fuck Racists
Blank Faces
Time's Changin
One Nation
Unification
The Vibration
Unfuck the World!

They certainly don’t deserve any bad press but they also don’t deserve to be wanked over.

They certainly don’t deserve any bad press but they also don’t deserve to be wanked over.

Lol, I’m not suggesting we wank over them. I just think being the first to actually put out a statement saying that they won’t be kneeling anymore is different to just not bothering occasionally as and when teams agree not to (which I know Gills have done and assume other sides have too).

I do wonder if fans, media and the rest of the football world would be acting differently if that statement had been issued by Millwall or West Ham though.

It's disappointing that Brentford think that rich footballers kneeling down for 2 seconds in an empty stadium no longer has any positive effect. I hope the country doesn't become more racist, as a consequence of them no longer taking the knee.

In the England Italy rugby match only 9 out of the 30 players took the knee (none of the Italians). Hopefully this doesn't mean the black lives are stopping mattering?

Lol, I’m not suggesting we wank over them. I just think being the first to actually put out a statement saying that they won’t be kneeling anymore is different to just not bothering occasionally as and when teams agree not to (which I know Gills have done and assume other sides have too).

I do wonder if fans, media and the rest of the football world would be acting differently if that statement had been issued by Millwall or West Ham though.

Fair question Rob but this is being led by players and they are getting more aware of how they are seen and what they can and can't influence. I'd guess that Millwall and West Ham players knew they couldn't lead on this without clouding the main issue. I don't think this is the sudden end of taking the knee, teams will move as they see fit. I wouldn't be surprised to see some individuals continue, or for teams to react to players getting abused online if they see fit.

A great former player, John Barnes, who experienced racism back in the days when it was much more prevalent than today, has said that taking the knee should be discontinued

So has Les Ferdinand and Wilf Zaha has gone further, saying in a recent interview that he actually finds the gesture demeaning.

If even they are confused by, or have different understandings of, the gesture, what about the 98% of any football crowd that do not have a racist bone in their body?

On the basis that some racism has existed for centuries, as have other social ills that affect all of us like abuse, bullying, violence and crime, I just wonder whether it is mere coincidence that they have picked this time, when stadiums are empty, to pull such stunts.

The Brentford statement sets out a much better strategy.

Last edited:
As I have said before, going down on one knee is a gesture of supplication, to make a protest you don't start by taking a subservient position. Much as disagree with a lot of what Buddha says on here, I have to agree with his comment on the clenched fist salute. Tommy Smith and John Carlos proved that in Mexico City in 1968, win the gold and silver medal then protest from a stronger position.