Welcome To Britain 2019 (updated) | Page 5 | Vital Football

Welcome To Britain 2019 (updated)

Tricky, isn't it. I saw one French town closed down two public pools because women showed up on successive days wearing burkinis which are banned in France. I guess nobody wanted to arrest the women and escalate the situation.

On one hand you have to accept the culture of the country you are moving to (or perhaps your parents moved to) but parents should also have a say in how their children are educated.

Ramming ideas into children's heads in spite of their parents' beliefs and because you are morally right sounds very Saudi Arabian.

Not quite BB.

We don't not teach evolution because a 'roll the dice name your God' created everything. We don't not teach English just because it might not be spoken at home etc.

In this case I'd hardly call a couple of books featuring generic mixed images 'ramming ideas' any more than teachers discussing all types of families, which from what I can tell is all that's actually happening.

But we have to be outraged about something and listening to some of the parents being interviewed who are protesting I'm not actually sure they even know what's being taught, they've just took a soundbyte from the kid who probably asked a question and created their own devil in the details.

They are, from what I've read and watched, teaching diversity. Not just sexual orientation, but that some eat meat (oh make your own jokes ffs!) and some are vegetarian, some believe this, some believe that.

From what I can gather, it is all age appropriate and the children are taught that your parents might not agree with this view, belief, whatever, and they are encouraged to talk to their parents.

As you say, it is a difficult one.

Yeah leaning on mixed 'race/gender' books and then simple discussions as opposed to 'this is what you'll believe now' approach.

In some ways you can say in the same spirit that religion was first approached on an education front, we're all a little bit different but different doesn't mean wrong/scary etc etc and we're not actually saying it's right but...

Moslems believe this.
Hindus that and so on.

I vaguely remember the uproar about teaching RE with 'white' parents pulling their kids out of classes etc lol as I was at school then and I could never see the problem. One of my teachers (maths + chess?) was a nut head who was suspended after I left and hit the media for disrupting the Xmas play because by then he decided children of Islam shouldn't take part or something or other.

Wish he'd have taught RE that would've been fantastic!

I'll guarantee that's what kicked it off a couple of kids went back doing exactly what the teacher suggested when it came to questions and parents saw doomsday

Not quite BB.

We don't not teach evolution because a 'roll the dice name your God' created everything. We don't not teach English just because it might not be spoken at home etc.

In this case I'd hardly call a couple of books featuring generic mixed images 'ramming ideas' any more than teachers discussing all types of families, which from what I can tell is all that's actually happening.

But we have to be outraged about something and listening to some of the parents being interviewed who are protesting I'm not actually sure they even know what's being taught, they've just took a soundbyte from the kid who probably asked a question and created their own devil in the details.

I should look into the curriculum more. If it's not related to the English curriculum, I don't usually pay any attention.