Weight Training Thread | Vital Football

Weight Training Thread

RosettaStoned

Vital Football Legend
Im back in training.

So i thought a thread to whoever trains could post in and give some tips and advice would be fun.

or not, whatever.

So been reading into rest time, and how over training will end up not putting on any mass at all because your muscles are not having time to rest and grow.

at the moment, im working upper body only as im walking over 2 hours to work and back up hills every single day and my legs are ker-nackered.

Mainly using dumbells, and doing a few pressups but have a bad back so cant do too many of those.

any ideas on a decent regime? how often should i be training and how often should i rest.

Been at it for 2 weeks now and have done about 30 mins of heavy weights every day(well heavy as in it hurts, not really heavy as im a noodle arm), resting on sundays as the lord says.

Im guessing thats not enough rest right?

BEEEEEFCAKE!!!!!!

Gain mass on arms and shoulders really.

got a nice flat belly already, so just some toning on that(which im probably just gonna cheat and use the mrs' slendertone belt :D

got an appointment with a physiotherapist on thurday as ive got a problem with my left deltoid that means im only able to do bicep curls with my left arm for the time being.

RosettaStoned - 20/4/2010 15:50

Gain mass on arms and shoulders really.

got a nice flat belly already, so just some toning on that(which im probably just gonna cheat and use the mrs' slendertone belt :D

got an appointment with a physiotherapist on thurday as ive got a problem with my left deltoid that means im only able to do bicep curls with my left arm for the time being.

What's wrong with the delt?

Slendertone! Forces an electrical contraction of the muscle without load, which means you will feel like it has worked, but the muscle will have gained no benefit, because it had no work to do! (many scientific papers on these machines)

You need to work the whole body, if you don't, you will end up increasing the likelyhood of injury to the weak link

So if you work the upper body and not the lower, you can easily end up with a bad back, walking just does not cut it! :91:

To gain mass, split workout, first 6 weeks, 2 sets of 15 reps, 3 times a week, upper/lower/upper/lower/upper/lower/upper/lower etc What this equates to is working each bodypart 3 times in the space of 2 weeks, which allows enough recovery time.

Tell me what you have access to in the way of equipment, and I'll sort you a routine

Nimmo - 20/4/2010 16:21

steff_the_villan - 20/4/2010 16:10

Nimmo - 20/4/2010 15:51

Steff - have you heard of the Fat Burning Furnace excercise regime?

Yes

WHat's it all about?

Is it any good?

It's a basic exercise routine, with some basic nutritional advice, which will try and sell you upgrades and supplements, it might be okay for someone who's not capable of reading the internet, not worth the money, routines are not up to scratch, and there has been much more valuable advice given freely on these threads

Save your money!

If you need anything, just ask!

I shall pm you my friend, thanks for that info.

not sure whats wrong with the shoulder, but i used to get a lot of pai because of the way i sat leaning on my left arm at work, once i changed my posture the pain went immediately.

if i lift both arms so they are out in front at right angles to my standing position, if i look in the mirror my shoulders are completely a-symmetrical, i have a hole in my left shoulder where my deltoid should be.

only thing i can think is that i dyslocated my shoulder in a rugby tackle when i was a kid and maybe it didnt go back properly.

an amateur view of it would be that the muscle looks like it has twisted or settled under bone, which is probably physically impossible, but i cant explain why my shoulder looks that fucked.

my rigt shoulder is fine and there is a nice round deltoid, left one looks like a piece has been chopped out!

wahat about fast walking up hills? my legs are burning when i get home and cant imagine i would be able to work them much more.

Equipment i have at home

dumbells - 1kg increments from 2 - 15kg
excercise bike
sit up thingy
stepper
bench to do tricep dips

currently doing 15 reps on biceps, 15 reps on triceps, pushups till i hurt. then repeat 3 times.

you reckon doing that every day is a bad idea? i feel lazy if i miss a day.

steff_the_villan - 20/4/2010 16:29

Nimmo - 20/4/2010 16:21

steff_the_villan - 20/4/2010 16:10

Nimmo - 20/4/2010 15:51

Steff - have you heard of the Fat Burning Furnace excercise regime?

Yes

WHat's it all about?

Is it any good?

It's a basic exercise routine, with some basic nutritional advice, which will try and sell you upgrades and supplements, it might be okay for someone who's not capable of reading the internet, not worth the money, routines are not up to scratch, and there has been much more valuable advice given freely on these threads

Save your money!

If you need anything, just ask

I've now lost 38 lbs with the advice I've had from you so far and am very happy with the regime and results.

I was just asking out of interest, as I keep seeing an advert for it.

My mrs is using her slendertone every evening for 20 mins, should i tell her to stop?

she isnt after a 6 pack or anything, but will tell her to quit if these machines are bad for you.

RosettaStoned - 20/4/2010 16:35

My mrs is using her slendertone every evening for 20 mins, should i tell her to stop?

she isnt after a 6 pack or anything, but will tell her to quit if these machines are bad for you.

They just don't work!

upper and lower crunches will do the job nicely : )

Nimmo - 20/4/2010 16:35

I've now lost 38 lbs with the advice I've had from you so far and am very happy with the regime and results.

I was just asking out of interest, as I keep seeing an advert for it.

Excellent! And you are obviously earning those results :35:

There are quite a few ads like those, the fact they charge for basic advice and prey on those that need help, just really pisses me off!

KRS186 - 20/4/2010 16:36

Squat, Deadlift, Bench Press

Excellent compound movements that most think they are doing right, most are wrong! These should be done under qualified supervision, until a good level of basic strength and technique is gained.

My rep routine at the gym is 8,6,4 then a final 6, where you start off with a fairly difficult but manageable weight, then slightly more and do 6, then more weight and you should struggle to do 4. Then do a rest set of 6 of a lightweight.

I'm no scientist of physical trainer, but its works for how I want to look which isnt massive muscles as for the sports I do need to stay light and toned.

steff what is the best crunch method there seems to be tons of different people suggesting different methods but they dont explain why as much so you dont know which is ok with the back etc

steff_the_villan - 20/4/2010 18:39

KRS186 - 20/4/2010 16:36

Squat, Deadlift, Bench Press

These should be done under qualified supervision, until a good level of basic strength and technique is gained.

Well, I think with all the tutorial videos avaliable on the net, it's very easy to get the 'gist' of the technique. It's then a case of starting very lightly and working up. It does help to ask an experience lifter at the gym to caste an eye (as I did as a kid), the only problem is that most at gyms nowadays don't have a clue.

Nothing more annoying than seeing people do a bench press without bringing the bar down to the chest, even more so, squats that are not parrallel (or ass to grass), the good old 'curtsey' squats should be punishable with a life time ban!

On a side note, teaching the Mrs how to perform the 'clutch' is the best exercise advice I ever gave...