Weight Training Thread | Page 195 | Vital Football

Weight Training Thread

I'm fearing I might need to rest this week coming up, lower bicep, fold of elbow and slightly into forearm still playing up. Not agony but niggly pain.

Still do legs and stomach though!

Will see how it is tomorrow. I can always do the left bicep also!

Usually a couple of weeks for that one Fear, over straightened the arm under pressure (usually Bicep curls) always leave a slight bend in the elbow at the bottom of the movement.

Pretty sure it was when my grip gave out and I jarred the exercise. My grip, same as my legs, can just be a law unto themselves!

I've not done owt since last Tuesday so hopefully just a week or less now, I can still do other bits as said, stomach etc but as you know, it is frustrating the breaks! Trying to get a nice run at it before May 15th.

But obviously no good pushing it, you can't push through an injury, it has to be rested and heal. Having had the 4 week flu though, I must say

:26:

Once it feels ok, I might do a week high rep and pretty light and mix in with the light cable cardio routines you showed me, even 2 weeks perhaps, look to get body fat down whilst doing it via more restricted diet/high protein.

Could give my body a nice shock then and do a week or two slow then I will have time hopefully for two 5 week cylcles. One back to 8 then jump up to 12 or 15 for the final 5 weeks before my hols.

Sound like a plan Mr Mourep!?

Back day done and dusted. Upped weights 125kg lat pull downs using the machine. Still too light

Too light as in you managed three sets at the same reps?

How about trying super slow for a change? Can be great and agony!

What sets/reps you on at moment and what you aiming for mate? I know you said the other day you are bulking but no definition. You kinda need to think what it is you are after now. If you want definition you might want to lower weights and up reps.

currently in the gym, started using the free wifi and working from here a fair bit now, so I had a couple of boiled eggs and a banana and then went for an hours work out, complete with lunges and squats ( :21: ) and now ive just had a protein shake and some pineapple.

i'm up to 45kgs on the bench press now too (5x8) which doesnt sound a lot but from 0 to that in a few weeks I am happy with.

Doesn't matter what it sounds like as long as you are pushing yourself and progressing mate.

As we've said many times in this thread, the only competition is yourself!

Cool!

Yeah, you are the perfect form mate...! lol

Just wondering though (no worries if you dont' want to say!) what reps and sets you are doing and what your aim really is.

If you are bulking up but want definition, it would be slightly lighter and higher reps.

I swap about in 5 week cycles 8, 10, 12 and at times 15's (when I really want to get a bit of definition also) but not in nice easy orders.

eg 8, 10, 12, 15 would be too simple, you want to shock the body, so 8 to 12 etc.

Sometimes the 2 up 2 down ... but that can also be alternated so sometimes 'explosive' up and then slower down... or just really slow it down.

Hows it work then, in terms of wanting to bulk up?

For example im curling 14kgs and doing 3 sets of 10.

Ive just gone up from 12kgs, so currently failing around rep 8-9 on the 3rd set.

Im trying to build my muscle so not interested in definition yet, just wondered what the best practice is?

I'm looking at increasing weight so lifting heavy less reps for six weeks. Well that's the plan but you know how it goes. So for example 125kg lat pull down 4 sets of 8. But will increase as it was a bit easy. Then chest 40kg Dumbbells x2 same sets and reps. Then looking at less weight more reps next six week cycle

You're personal trainer mate will have it bang on for you prep.

The sticky thread at the top is only two pages, that has some good info.

Generally very low reps high weights are for strength, then 8-10 range you are in for building. Them lower weight higher reps is good for definition.

I'm sure your pt will mix you around prep in good time. You probably know but you kit things round with different reps, rests between sets, mixing the order of exercises, different routines etc.

I love all the planning. What I don't love is my arm injury meaning I'm sitting this week out! Lol. Well, legs and stomach will suffer!

More muscle also helps burn more fat, it's all good!

I'm dead I pressed 40kg dumbells, far more than me that, not sure it is something I would build up to either really, maybe, but I do think joints and brain pressure wise, plus training on my own (so if I fuck up I'm buggered lol) probably not!

Think my current weights go to 30kg

The Fear - 9/2/2015 14:23

If you want definition you might want to lower weights and up reps.

Definition is mainly diet, Cardio to strip the fat obviously helps (HIIT 30 seconds fast 3 mins at 50% of max)

Lower weight and up reps (15+) leads to a longer, leaner muscle.

Muscle size, weights you fail at in the 8 - 12 reps range.

Skeggy, for strength drop yourself down to 4 to 6 reps max, and have 2 mins rest between sets, do 4 or 5 sets, change exercise.

Party on Dudes! :128:

Last time, although I didn't over do it diet wise next time I want to be totally on song, I did enjoy the 15 range for a change. It certainly helped tone me up I think but also gave my joints a break from heavier and 8s

SKEGGY - 9/2/2015 21:03

Cheers Juan. I just want to look huge lol

So mainly stick with the 8, 10 or 12 rep set, but every so often throw in a couple of weeks at 15's and on another occasion throw in the 4 - 6 rep range as body shocks.

The Fear - 9/2/2015 21:05

I did enjoy the 15 range for a change. It certainly helped tone me up I think but also gave my joints a break from heavier and 8s

When the joints are starting to ache it's always a good idea to switch to 15's for up to 6 weeks.