Weight Training Thread | Page 127 | Vital Football

Weight Training Thread

Fear, out of interest how long did you HIIT for yesterday?

I have the mad Frenchman for an hour today. 3 mountains.

Oh I can't beast my legs mate, they are a very painful proposition.

4 mad 30 seconds @ 17 (of24) and 9 mins total. Then some boxing but I was already spent by then as had done my back session!

If fit I'd have been ripped to shreds in 6-8 months!

My knee creaked a bit today, but just a little pain, I'm OK. I guess you are just built for running or cycling from what I've seen.

Just back from the mad frenchman spin class, he shouted GIVE ME MORE towards the end.... Could do with hime down Villa Park!

Two questions (unrelated):

1) Water - how much should I be drinking during a typical HIIT/weights session. Drinking continually makes my stomach like a washing machine? Obviously I sweat a lot more on the summer.

2) Saunas - Opinions please, are they good for you? How long, when etc.....

Try the knee supports mate. I do. The bandage types should be fine to try.

I usually get through two 650ml shakers of water including what I use for the protein shake at the end of the session.

Brilliant. Love a good steam and a sauna, helps relax the aching muscles and is relaxing. Your body usually tells you how long, depends how much you can take, you don't want to be too uncomfortable. Nice to get out, cold shower, go back in.

Juan will warn you not after weights sessions so I will save him time!! He says that is the time you need to be rehydrating and feeding your muscles.

You're welcome Juan !

However I do, on a Friday, my legs then steam and sauna. My legs thank me, I do keep drinking, but time wise, only way I can get one in each week and it is the treat after the pain of leg day.

1) Water - how much should I be drinking during a typical HIIT/weights session. Drinking continually makes my stomach like a washing machine? Obviously I sweat a lot more on the summer.

Make sure you are well hydrated in the days before your HIIT session, or any session for that matter. What you drink in the gym doesn't hydrate you straight away.

OK so followed the advice given on here doing 3 sets 12 reps for the exercises (was already doing a 2:2) and can I just say WOW! After two gym sessions, already noticed that the change have 'confused' my muscles. I have had minor cases of DOMS in each area worked since Sunday, so happy days. As said, my body must have been very conditioned to 4 sets 8 reps...

Thanks Juan and Fear!

Just done 30 mins HIIT followed by sauna.

Fully refreshed after watching Madrid vs. Bayern last night, three bottles of Leffe blonde and loadsa nuts!

Also love that dull ache.

tarzan - 30/4/2014 10:57

Just done 30 mins HIIT followed by sauna.

Fully refreshed after watching Madrid vs. Bayern last night, three bottles of Leffe blonde and loadsa nuts!

Also love that dull ache.

I'd have thought swinging through the trees on lianna vines would be more than enough exercise for you Tarzan :14:

Don't forget booze dehydrates, then spin then sauna. Make sure you rehydrate properly now sir!

I took your advice and took on board plenty of the wet stuff before and after.

What day is today Fear? Bums and tums?

Shoulders... I superset with planks on the vibro machine.

I shall correct the mistake I was making on power presses today as my technique had certainly slipped!!

Woohoo!

Gym was mega busy last night so didn't do as much CV as usual.

Ended up doing double weights instead. I only usually do a couple of machines per body part but did 3 or 4 instead.

I'm really struggling to know what the right balance is for my goals. Do I need to do more CV, or more weights, or do I have the correct balance at the moment?

My goals are...... lose weight (or fat)
get rid of moobs
get rid of belly
get rid of love handles

I don't have an ounce of fat anywhere else. Skinny legs, skinny ass, skinny arms, not much puppy fat on my face, it's just my body.

I tend to do 15 mins interval training on the treadmill, followed by 15 minutes at average pace on the crosstrainer, then 40 minutes weights..... usually 3 sets on 2 different leg machines, then 3 sets on 2 different shoulder machines, then 3 sets on 2 different chest machines, a bit of arms, and then some stomach work.

Does that all sound about right for my goals? or should I be doing more CV and less weights, or vice versa?

I do try and vary it up, so every now and again I'll do the bike instead of the crosstrainer or treadmill, and I vary the exercises, so if I'm doing chest sometimes I'll do cable crossovers and bench press and other times I'll do peck deck and incline bench press.

But in the main it does get pretty boring. They only have 2 leg machines so always do them, and I only know 2 exercises for my triceps (the pull down one where you keep you arm still from the elbow up and pull down with the lower arm) and narrow grip bench press, so always tend to do them too...

Deano - do you like spin bikes?

I have a varied routine I have developed, guided by these guys. It is really doing the trick. I have the same fat goals as you by the way (due to booze and eating crap).

Made some errors, but refining as I go along.

Yes, but you are doing the same body parts 4 times a week by the looks of it.

Too much for each bodypart.

The sticky thread is great at top of site mate. The 2nd page contains all you really need to know.

I'd do your cardio to get rid of fat then one or two body parts each time. Concentrate on form above weight.

Another thing I'd possibly do is a circuit of all the machines from one to the next to the next etc until you are sweating like a pig but Juan might well disagree with that. Just thinking you get the cardio and weight training then.

Is there a cable machine at your gym? Do they have a rope attachment? If so, try tricep pull down with that and towards the bottom of the movement, split the two bits of the rope. Kills like a mother!

Feel free to fix a time, come to mine, I'll show you all the different exercises for cable and variations for dumbells that I do. Plenty to shake things up then.

If you bring a memory stick we might be able to transfer the videos I did with Juan re: different exercises. Very helpful to keep referring to.

If you get bored, just focus on the muscle you are working, go slow (2 secs up and 2 secs down as Juan recommends) and think about what you are doing. When bored it is easy to start throwing weights around or not concentrating and injure yourself.

I've never tried the spin bikes but they look horrendous so always avoided them. lol

They don't have them in my gym. Think they might have it as a separate class, but I'm always embarrassed about doing classes as my general fitness is pretty awful.