Weight Training Thread | Page 126 | Vital Football

Weight Training Thread

Thanks Mr Fear, should be pretty helpful and will put suggestions to good use.

Oh and the DB shoulder press is just the halfway down where as the BB is full way down.

Db shoulder press done properly should be all the way down, sounds like you are doing the power press (if that is the right name!)

I bring dumbbells down level with eyes level, then stretch at top

Guys, after many months of unsuccessful job applications, I want a change of direction.

My background is a scientist and I would love to train as a sports physio, sports injury physio or personal trainer.

Anyone know how I might go about this, what qualifications are required and how long it may take?

Juan, what are the main variations you use? I know there are quadzillions, but your main favourites.

Ie ten reps, how much rest between sets
12 with 30 secs etc

Plus variations on speed up and down.

As said. I realise there are an infinite amounts of combinations but.....

Frankus - 24/4/2014 03:51

Reading through the sticky and alot of what is on this thread has been super helpful considering I am a gym novice. Usually I do 4-5 sessions per week doing something along the lines.
1. Back (wide arm pull-ups, lat pull downs, 1 arm seated rows, double arm overhead rows, back extensions)
2. Triceps (skull crushers and close hand bench combined, weighted dips, rope tri extensions, overhead rope tri extensions, single arm tri extensions, diamond hand push ups)
3. Shoulders (over head standing db press, single arm front db raises, over head bb press, lateral flies, cable rear delt flies, internal and exteral rotation with theraband or low weighted cables)
4. Biceps (under hand chin ups, under hand over head pull downs, bb curls, db alt curls, bb preacher curls)
5. Chest (wide arms weighted dips, flat db bench press, standing cable flies, cable crossovers, pushups or clock pushups)

I usually throw in a partial legs session twice a week (combo of squats, leg press, extensions, stiff leg deads, calf raises).

Usually I do anywhere between 5 and 8 exercises (depending on body part) with 4 sets of 8 reps, increasing weight incrementally each set. Most of the time the final set I can only do 6 reps. I knowingly don't do abs sets as I ensure keeping very tight abs and core during exercises which helps me work on good form.

I've been doing this now for about 8-12 weeks and feel I'm getting a bit stale. My aim is to put on about another 2.5kg of lean muscle (already added about 2.5kg).

Any suggestions on mixing it up - i.e. new exercises, reducing or increasing sets or reps?

Mr Gym novice, I applaud your enthusiasm :1: but there is some serious overtraining going on, more is not always better, so let's move you past novice and get you moving in the right direction.

Back, wide grip pullups and lat pulldowns, same movement, choose one. the rest is cool

Triceps, GOOD GOD MAN! Choose two or three exercises max, using one arm perform a tricep exercise and with your other hand, feel where the exercise is hitting, you need to hit the three heads, so elbows in, elbows out and twist between the two usually does the damage.

Shoulders, starting the session with the theraband rotator exercises is best, I assume you have been advised to do those? Full range DB press, upright row, reverse flye (cable or DB), finishing with DB power press, power press starts in the bottom position, which is upper arm parallel to the floor, top position is only EIGHT INCHES from the bottom, this is continuous movement, you do not stop at the top or bottom, just smooth continuous movement till absolute muscle failure.

Biceps, Again too much, Bi as in two, so working the inner and outer heads to failure is enough! Surprise surprise, more males over train their biceps than any other muscle, the result is a smaller, tighter bicep : ) Look up concentration curls, be super strict, for your first exercise, rest the little finger edge of your hand against the inside head of the DB, this will help twist your little finger up towards your face throughout the full range of the exercise, when done, repeat the exercise in the hammer grip position.

Chest, do pressups in the feet up hands down position, followed by flat, followed by hands on a bench feet down, two sets of fifteen of each, followed by incline DB bench press, followed by flat, followed by decline, followed by a couple of sets of cable to stretch the chest out.

I do recommend you give yourself a leg and core day, failing that, chuck in as much leg work as possible.

I recommend running one body part per session, run in this way, Back, Chest, Arms, Shoulders, Legs, the leg and core session apart from the obvious benefits also allows your shoulders to recover a bit more before the back is hit again.

To grow you need to do 3 x 12 reps, what this means is 3 x working sets, I do not count your warm up, when you have reached a weight where you know you will struggle to get to 12 reps, that is when the work begins, you do 12 reps, on the following set you may only reach ten and the final set you may reach 8/9, if you manage more, put the weight up next time, so in reality it's more like 1 x 12, 2 x F, F for failure, and by this I mean total muscle failure and I don't care if you know 100% that you can't do another rep, you have to try your hardest, because it's the one you struggle to do that makes you grow, even if you only move it a couple of inches, that's the important one.

You should be using a 2/2 tempo, that means two seconds on the contraction and two seconds on the release, you should be resting 30 seconds between sets and 1 minute between exercises.

Follow these instructions and you will grow, FACT!

tarzan - 25/4/2014 11:41

My background is a scientist and I would love to train as a sports physio, sports injury physio or personal trainer.

Anyone know how I might go about this, what qualifications are required and how long it may take?

Physio quals are usually over a seven year period, sports scientists can be either phd seven years ish! degree 3 years or HND time dependant on course, personal trainer quals dependant on course, some are available free in lucky bags.

Depends how long you're willing to study and what you really want to do, it helps if you have a passion for the field you want to enter, the physio's are usually the highest earners if that's what matters to you.

The Fear - 25/4/2014 12:39

Juan, what are the main variations you use? I know there are quadzillions, but your main favourites.

Ie ten reps, how much rest between sets
12 with 30 secs etc

Plus variations on speed up and down.

As said. I realise there are an infinite amounts of combinations but.....

I cycle between 8, 10 and 12, I do throw 6's or 15's in every so often for a body shock, I run deadies and squats at 5 x 5 working sets.

I tend to mainly use a 2/2, although I also use a 1/2 and a 1/3, 2/3.

On 8-12's I stick to a 30 second rest, with 6's and 15's I double it, usually one min between sets, but with heavy 6's it's when I'm ready, usually 2/3 mins.

Times are subject to change dependant on injuries and damage from previous sessions : )

Quite enjoying the 15's at the moment. Two weeks left until holiday. Was planning one week off and second week some training over there, but now think two weeks off, light swim and also some stretching. Bashed body a good long while as you know so this break could get me ready for the next six month onslaught.

Will have to plan what I do on return, possibly back to 8's a while.

Would you change every second cycle? For me a cycle is five weeks. Then I change the order of exercises to confuse muscles.

So maybe return, do 8's.

Would you then work up in order if shuffle around to confuse muscles more (or doesn't matter!!??)

Eg 8's to 12's, to 10's etc.

After a break come back with the higher rep range, so 12's or 15's, then after 5 weeks drop straight to 8's followed by 10's, always hit the heavier/difficult exercises first, any variation from your normal routine will have a positive effect, tempo, exercise, rest period, so you could use the exact same routine and change from a 2/2 to a 1/3 it will hit you completely differently, but I like to throw some different exercises in : )

Cheers dude. Yes, I like to shift order but also take out and replace some exercises, because there are so many ways to torture on this cable machine as you've illustrated!!!

I'm glad Juan has said lat pull downs or pull ups. I'm quite good at lat pull downs and don't fancy huffing and puffing for all to see doing pull ups lol

Juan, I do the rot cuff exercises due to the huge range of movement in my shoulders from years and years of competitive swimming (50-60km weeks) and waterpolo. It just helps tighten the shoulder up so I don't get any shoulder impingement doing heavy shoulder exercises.

Also I seem to need to do alot of tri work to get to fatigue, even with heavier weights (believe it is because of the former conditioning). Hence the reason I throw in so many exercises. If I am going to do just three tri exercises, what do you recommend? Seriously tris and lats need alot of work for me to get to fatigue. Your advice would be greatly appreciated.

Does your gym have a cable machine?

Rope pull downs where you pull the rope outward at the bottom of the movement are a beautiful form of torture! Nice slow agonising burn! lol

Just letting any of you chaps that use "bulkpowders" products aware, I just found a 2cm long by 1mm wide shard of metal in my creatine mono hydrate!! Absolutely fuming!!

Take pictures, let them know, I'm sure you know that and will/have.

They need to know for the safety of all obviously.

Blimey, I don't get anything free from them at all and I've been a customer much longer than you.

Great back session, although my lat pull down bar appears to have broken which is a bit of a sod.

Managed some hitt on the spin bike as well, hell for leather this week and next then two week break on holiday.