Weekly Quiz: w/c 30 May | Page 2 | Vital Football

Weekly Quiz: w/c 30 May

Final update - still awaiting correct answers to these two:

3. Which City winger went on to win three Scottish League championships, three successive Scottish FA Cups, two Scottish League Cups, the treble, and a Scotland cap?
Clue: The Scottish League Cup didn't start until 1946-7, so we are talking post-war.

7. Which City midfielder had the distinction of being the Football League's youngest ever manager?
Clue: He had been a manager before he signed for us. Also, don't believe all you read on Wikipedia!

Deadline Friday 6pm.

Just read the Questions - Safe to say I wouldn't know any of the Answers without reading the Thread or searching Google!

I think that is what most people will be doing, Jules. I would be amazed if any fan has this depth of knowledge. I certainly don't - this is not me being clever!

As I said a couple of weeks ago, it is more an exercise in publicising our great history than a quiz now. As a consequence, my answers each week are getting longer and longer.

Just to let you all know where I get the questions from, it is a strange combination of books on Lincoln City, books on football in general, old Lincoln City match programmes which I have going back to the 1960s, old Lincoln City publications such as promotion souvenir books, autobiographies by former City players and managers, press clippings, and some of the questions even come from my own knowledge and memory. I also have a collection of photographs that I have taken over many years.

Further to that, I spend a lot of time reading online articles. There are some fantastic sites out there run by die-hard supporters of a great many clubs that offer superb information about matches their clubs have played against Lincoln. Just to mention a few, Liverpool, West Ham, Leeds, Everton, Arsenal, Manchester City and Manchester United are very well represented in that way, but there are many more.

What I do not do is take information from Wikipedia; although it is great for giving general information, it is sometimes inaccurate for more concise detail. You may well find a correct answer on there, of course, but that will not have been the source of my question. For example, if you check Wikipedia for one of this week's questions (as I think one poster has done), you will get the wrong answer. No harm in that, of course, and I like reading the answers posters have come up with regardless of whether they are right or wrong.

It would be nice if more people would take part, though. Some may be put off because many questions have been answered within a few hours of my posting them, but that doesn't mean that person has got the answer right. So please post your thoughts regardless of what anyone else has written. And some fans out there will probably have information to add from their own knowledge or collection of books & programmes, and it would be a shame not to share that with others.

7. Paul Ward? I haven't done any research on this, but have a vague recollection that he had been briefly in charge at one of his previous clubs - Scunthorpe? Orient? Could be completely wrong though.

Time for the answers. Thanks to a last-ditch tackle (of Q7) by Merthyr, all 10 questions have been answered correctly this week.

1. Who is the only member of England's 1966 World Cup winning team to have scored at Sincil Bank?

Roger Hunt, who scored an 84th minute consolation for Liverpool in the Second Division game on 14 November 1959. Lincoln won 4-2 with goals from Andy Graver (2), John McClelland and Bert Linnecor, the other Liverpool goal coming from Dave Hickson in front of 10,799. Hunt returned on 8 October 1960 and scored both goals in Liverpool's 2-1 win, Lincoln's solitary response coming from Derek Hawksworth in front of 7,699.

2. Who scored 3 hat-tricks in 1980?

Mick Harford: 3 v Wigan on 29 February; 3 v Hull in the League Cup on 9 August; and 3 v Torquay on 12 November. Harford was to play just one more game for City before his £180,000 transfer to Newcastle on 22 December.

3. Which City winger went on to win three Scottish League championships, three successive Scottish FA Cups, two Scottish League Cups, the treble, and a Scotland cap?

Wartime guest Eddie Rutherford, all with Glasgow Rangers. Rutherford was posted to Lincolnshire with the RAF and played 16 games for City in 1944, scoring 4 goals.

Rangers won the Scottish FA Cup three successive seasons between 1948 and 1950. To see him in action, here are Pathe highlights of the 1950 final - all three Rangers goals come from Rutherford crosses:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ehys9j0HsQ8

4. It last happened on 18 December 1982. What?

Two City players scored a hat-trick in the same match - Derek Bell and Gordon Hobson in the 9-0 win over Bournemouth at Sincil Bank. It was the fifth time it has been done, the previous occasion being on 3 March 1951 when Andy Graver and Johnny Garvie hit hat-tricks in the 9-1 win over Accrington.

It is also the last time City have scored 9 in a match.

5. "Perhaps we could play the game in Dublin." Who said this, and what was he talking about?

Coventry manager Jimmy Hill, who was referring to his side's FA Cup third round tie at Lincoln, originally scheduled for 5 January 1963.

The worst winter since 1740 had covered much of the country in 15 feet of snow and ice, causing many matches to be postponed numerous times. The FA was so concerned by the backlog of matches that permission was given for games to be played on any neutral ground possible; for some strange reason, Ireland had not been affected by the terrible weather, leading Hill to make his (entirely serious) suggestion. The Lincoln v Coventry tie was postponed 15 times before it eventually took place on 6 March, with Coventry taking the honours to the tune of 5-1 in front of 7,440. Brian Punter had a mixed day: his poor back pass straight to John Sillett - later to lead Coventry to their FA Cup win in 1987 - enabled the visitors to take the lead after just 14 seconds before he later made amends with City's only goal.

The FA Cup third round took an amazing 66 days to complete, with the final match not decided until 11 March.

6. Whose last ever home match in the Football League was against Lincoln, watched by a crowd of just 100 (one hundred)?

Loughborough. City won the match 1-0 on 23 April 1900. The crowd of 100 is believed to be the lowest ever attendance at a Second Division match played under normal conditions.

Founded in 1886, Loughborough entered the Football League in 1895 in place of Walsall Town Swifts. For some unknown reason, they are shown as 'Loughborough Town' in many records, although that was never their name. They were voted out of the League after 5 very unsuccessful Second Division seasons and folded immediately, so this was also their last ever home match.

Their ground - the Athletic Ground - was located behind the Greyhound Hotel on Nottingham Road, which is still there today. The ground stood derelict for several years before being demolished in 1908 to make way for housing. It stood where Hudson Street, Bishop Street and Salisbury Street now stand.

7. Which City midfielder had the distinction of being the Football League's youngest ever manager?

The classy Paul Ward, who made 39 League appearances for the Imps between March 1991 and August 1992, when his career was ended by a serious knee injury against Doncaster. Earlier in his career, Ward had been appointed player-manager of Third Division Darlington on 23 March 1987 at the age of just 23 years 189 days. His reign lasted just 13 games as Darlington were relegated to the Fourth Division at the end of the season.

8. How did City beat two teams from Stockport in season 1911-12?

We played Stockport County Reserves in the Central League (won 8-0 at home and 3-1 away) and also beat Stockport's first team (who were in the Second Division) 2-0 in the FA Cup first round on 13 January 1912.

9. Which City assistant manager holds the record for the most matches as a manager by an Englishman?

John Still, current manager of NL rivals Dagenham & Redbridge, who was City's assistant under John Beck for a short period in 1996. As at the end of the 2015-16 season, Still has been in charge of 1,706 matches.

Only Sir Alex Ferguson, the world record holder, has managed more games anywhere in the world with 2,131.

There will be a full profile of John Still on Vital Lincoln shortly as part of a look at all 24 National League managers ahead of the new season.

10. In which season did Lincoln travel to Muntz Street, The Chuckery, Cobridge Athletic Grounds, Peel Croft, Drill Field, Barley Bank, Alexandra Recreation Ground, Abbey Park, Hawthorne Road and Hyde Road?

1892-93, our first ever season in the Football League.

Muntz Street was the original home of Small Heath, later to become Birmingham City; Lincoln were the second ever visitors there for a FL game, a 4-1 defeat on 24 September 1892 in front of 2,500. They moved to St Andrews in 1906.

The Chuckery was the home of Walsall Town Swifts for just that one season; City lost there too, 2-1 on 8 October 1892 in front of 2,000.

Cobridge Athletic Grounds was the original home of (Burslem) Port Vale; this was the site of Lincoln's first ever away win in the Football League: 2-1 on 3 December 1892 in front of 1,000.

Peel Croft was the home of Burton Swifts, the first of four clubs from Burton to feature in the Football League. City lost 4-2 here on 17 December.

Drill Field was the home of Northwich Victoria until 2002. Lost 2-1 here.

Barley Bank belonged to Darwen; another defeat - 3-1.

No prizes for guessing that Alexandra Recreation Ground was the original home of Crewe Alexandra. No prizes either for guessing that we lost here too (4-1).

Abbey Park was the first piece of land polluted by Grimsby Town; if Blundell Park was an improvement on it, Abbey Park must have been an incredible dump. We actually drew here, 2-2.

Hyde Road was home to Ardwick, who became Manchester City. We lost the final game of the season here, 3-1 in front of 2,000. That was a great result compared to what happened there two years later.

Finally, Lincoln were the last ever FL visitors to Hawthorne Road, Bootle. Having been enthusiastic founder members of the Second Division at the start of the season, they were forced to resign from the League due to financial problems. The match took place on 15 April 1893, a 4-1 win for the home side.

Ten more on Monday.

Loughborough's last home game wasn't against Lincoln as they entertained (if you could call it that) Gainsborough Trinity 5 days later and lost 1-2.

evenstephen - 3/6/2016 21:40

Loughborough's last home game wasn't against Lincoln as they entertained (if you could call it that) Gainsborough Trinity 5 days later and lost 1-2.

That's very strange - everything I have shows Lincoln as their last home game and Gainsborough away on the last day of the season. Where did you get that?

Scotimp - 3/6/2016 04:30

It would be nice if more people would take part, though. Some may be put off because many questions have been answered within a few hours of my posting them, but that doesn't mean that person has got the answer right. So please post your thoughts regardless of what anyone else has written. And some fans out there will probably have information to add from their own knowledge or collection of books & programmes, and it would be a shame not to share that with others.

A lot of questions used to be answered really quickly but as you allude to they are are naturally getting a little bit more obscure so that doesn't happen as often. Perhaps people still have that perception.

They are tough questions and that's what I like about it as often I can only have a stab at a couple. Some people may be taking part but just don't know the answers!!

I like to think from the 80's and early 90's very little is going to trip me up but learning obscure details from other periods is always interesting.

I wish I had a decent scanner as I still have books full of old pictures and cuttings.

Interesting gates from the late 1800's and early 1900's 1,000, 2,500, 2,000 I saw a tweet recently with match results and attendances from around this time all but 1 was what appeared to be estimated all bar the one rounded up or maybe down. Does anyone know when accurate attendances started to be given. Although many would question some of our attendances especially the 9,432 against Wycombe.

Big Jack McGinley - 4/6/2016 06:45

Scotimp - 3/6/2016 04:30

A lot of questions used to be answered really quickly but as you allude to they are are naturally getting a little bit more obscure so that doesn't happen as often. Perhaps people still have that perception.

They are tough questions and that's what I like about it as often I can only have a stab at a couple. Some people may be taking part but just don't know the answers!!

I like to think from the 80's and early 90's very little is going to trip me up but learning obscure details from other periods is always interesting.

I wish I had a decent scanner as I still have books full of old pictures and cuttings.

I agree with this. There used to be a lot of questions I knew the answers to, but now I would have to do a bit of research. Sometimes it is knowing where to look. As Scot Imp says Wiki is useful, but not always correct the links at the bottom of articles are sometimes of more help than the article itself. Thanks Scot Imp only recently started taking part, but always interesting.

Thanks for the feedback on the Loughborough question everyone; I'll try to look into it further, but information is hard to come by with events that happened 100+ years ago.

This particular question came from two different sources, both printed soccer books from the 1970s which give slightly different angles on the same subject (one regarding the lowest 2nd Division attendance, the other about Loughborough themselves). Regardless of whether the source is printed or internet, I suppose I am at the mercy of the person who wrote the article or compiled the statistics, so many apologies if there is the occasional error in some of these. I try to double-check everything, but that can be a challenge with so much erroneous stuff online.

Inevitably the questions are becoming more obscure as time goes by. I have no idea how many questions I have written for these quizzes, but it is a large number. Eventually I will run out of material and things may become a bit repetitive. On the other hand, there is no point asking who Lincoln's top scorer was, or who led us to promotion in 1976; everyone knows the answers to those, so a balance needs to be struck somewhere. Very few people will know the answers to the majority without doing some research first, but that is one of the fun aspects of this, and I hope people enjoy doing that. The point behind doing this is to create items of interest for the Lincoln City anoraks out there.

Perhaps it would be a good idea if someone else took this over, once this summer's series is complete; I am sure we all have different collections of material that must contain some interesting stuff to share. I have enough questions to see us through to the start of the new season, but please step forward if you fancy taking it on for next year.

And on that subject, please feel free to submit your own ideas for other features or submit articles you have written. Gary has started to contribute a weekly item, but we need more. With interest in Lincoln City growing by the day, we need to make sure we play our part in that. Remember, more clicks = more money for the club.

Scotimp - 4/6/2016 03:13

Perhaps it would be a good idea if someone else took this over, once this summer's series is complete; I am sure we all have different collections of material that must contain some interesting stuff to share. I have enough questions to see us through to the start of the new season, but please step forward if you fancy taking it on for next year.

I think you do a great job and I always read and have a crack where I can.

Would it be possible for people to submit their obscure/interesting/whatever questions to you and you can perhaps build up a bank of questions that would begin to decrease the time you obviously commit to putting these together.

If, as stated, the Loughborough match was on 23 April 1900, this would have been a Monday afternoon, hardly conducive to a high attendance ... especially when it was rearranged at short notice. Lincolnshire Echo, 23 April 1900.

Attachments

• xcit.jpg
    xcit.jpg
    80.5 KB · Views: 0
Great clipping, Bazzzer.

So they were messing about with the fixture list: I wonder whether that accounts for the fact that some sources have the Lincoln game as their final home game? And I wonder whether the Gainsborough game was rearranged too? Unless someone can dredge up the original fixture list (i.e. the one published before the season started), perhaps we'll never know now.

All very interesting, though.

Loughborough played Gainsborough on Sat 28 April 1900, as reported in Nottingham Evening Post of that date -

Attachments

• xgai.jpg
    xgai.jpg
    50.3 KB · Views: 0