Weekly Quiz: w/c 30 May | Vital Football

Weekly Quiz: w/c 30 May

Scotimp

Vital Football Legend
Here we are at the end of May already, and the excitement is building ahead of the new season. We have a new, vibrant management team and there is a tangible buzz around the place; season ticket sales are 70% up on last season and we await new signings with an eagerness not seen for...er...twelve months. Has Ronaldo been seen at Bentleys? Was that Messi in that 4x4 leaving Sincil Bank? And here's another rumour...I hear there's a quiz about to happen...

1. Who is the only member of England's 1966 World Cup winning team to have scored at Sincil Bank?

2. Who scored 3 hat-tricks in 1980?

3. Which City winger went on to win three Scottish League championships, three successive Scottish FA Cups, two Scottish League Cups, the treble, and a Scotland cap?

4. It last happened on 18 December 1982. What?

5. "Perhaps we could play the game in Dublin." Who said this, and what was he talking about?

6. Whose last ever home match in the Football League was against Lincoln, watched by a crowd of just 100 (one hundred)?

7. Which City midfielder had the distinction of being the Football League's youngest ever manager?

8. How did City beat two teams from Stockport in season 1911-12?

9. Which City assistant manager holds the record for the most matches as a manager by an Englishman?

10. In which season did Lincoln travel to Muntz Street, The Chuckery, Cobridge Athletic Grounds, Peel Croft, Drill Field, Barley Bank, Alexandra Recreation Ground, Abbey Park, Hawthorne Road and Hyde Road?

Usual deadline - 6pm Friday.

4. Demolition of Bournemouth 9-0, Harry Rednapps first game in charge, two hat tricks, Hobson and Bell.

1. I'd say Roger Hunt - prior to 1966. The only member of the World Cup-winning team to have even played at Sincil Bank after 1966 was Ray Wilson (for Oldham) and he didn't score.

This is in competitive matches, anyway.

5. This is Jimmy Hill referring to our many times postponed FA cup game against Coventry in 1963. That winter weather was particularly bad.

10 1893/94. I have not checked them all and only two of them I knew, but they are the names of former grounds of at least 3 clubs we played in 1893/94. I would need to check to see if the other tie in with this season, but sticking with it.

Merthyr Imp - 30/5/2016 13:46

9. I don't think Jim Smith was ever assistant manager at City. John Still for the answer

I had thought John Still, but for the life of me could not remember him being here in any capacity, I am sure unless age has completely taken over Jim Smith was at least here. plus I would guess most of his management games would have been in non league although that was not part of the question just number of games no mention of the level.

John Still was assistant to John Beck for a spell (can't remember exactly when). Jim Smith spent about a season and a half with City as a player - early 1968 to the end of 1968/69, then joined Boston United where he progressed to being player-manager.

Impartiality - 30/5/2016 11:47

10 1893/94. I have not checked them all and only two of them I knew, but they are the names of former grounds of at least 3 clubs we played in 1893/94. I would need to check to see if the other tie in with this season, but sticking with it.

Barley Bank was the home of Darwen but we didn't play them that season as they had been promoted to Division One the season before after beating Notts County 3-2 in a Test Match to determine who would be promoted to the top flight.

Muntz Street - Small Health
The Chuckery - Walsall Town Swifts
Cobridge Athletic Grounds - Burslem Port Vale
Peel Croft - Burton Swifts
Drill Field - Northwich Victoria
Alexandra Recreation Ground - Crewe Alexandra
Abbey Park - Grimsby Town
Hawthorne Road - Bootle FC
Hyde Road - Manchester City

Woolwich Arsenal played at the Manor Ground, Plumstead

Merthyr Imp - 30/5/2016 11:06

1. I'd say Roger Hunt - prior to 1966. The only member of the World Cup-winning team to have even played at Sincil Bank after 1966 was Ray Wilson (for Oldham) and he didn't score.

This is in competitive matches, anyway.

This is correct-scored 3 times at SB in separate games 1959-60.

Midweek update - still awaiting correct answers to these:

3. Which City winger went on to win three Scottish League championships, three successive Scottish FA Cups, two Scottish League Cups, the treble, and a Scotland cap?

6. Whose last ever home match in the Football League was against Lincoln, watched by a crowd of just 100 (one hundred)?

7. Which City midfielder had the distinction of being the Football League's youngest ever manager?

10. In which season did Lincoln travel to Muntz Street, The Chuckery, Cobridge Athletic Grounds, Peel Croft, Drill Field, Barley Bank, Alexandra Recreation Ground, Abbey Park, Hawthorne Road and Hyde Road?

Usual deadline, answers after 6pm Friday.

7. I think this is Ivor Broadis who was a wartime guest player for City and was appointed player/manager of Carlisle in 1946 at the age of 23.