Weekly Quiz: w/c 25 June | Vital Football

Weekly Quiz: w/c 25 June

Scotimp

Vital Football Legend
Ten more for you - answers on Friday.

1. Which unfortunate City centre half was found dead in his flat on 5 June 2012, having apparently died several weeks earlier?

2. What was used for the last time during the home game against Aldershot on 13 January 1990?

3. Which former Imp, who never made an appearance for the first team, went on to win 78 full international caps including an appearance against England?
Question set by Imphistorian

4. Which City winger married an Olympic sprinter?

5. Which legendary Lincoln striker was jailed for nine months for selling condemned food?

6. When did Ben Smith score past Ben Smith?

7. How did Adam Watts injure his back in August 2011 causing him to miss three matches?

8. How did City's 3-1 win at Brighton on 1 October 1996 almost cost the Seagulls their place in the Football League?

9. Which 17-year-old prodigy scored at Sincil Bank in December 1957?

10. Who is this? How did a broken leg lead to his best season as a player?

NTG71.jpg

3. Luke Dimech is the one.

Rob Taylor is a more recent academy graduate who didn't make the first team yet has gone on to play internationally, in his case for Finland. Apparently, we lent him to Lincoln Moorlands and he couldn't make their team: details of his story here

2, The Westbank Terrace or The Railway End probably the latter

2. I'll guess the other end - the South Park Stand.
9. Alick Jeffrey?
10. Phil Brown - Because Mick Waitt broke his leg
it meant Brown played as a striker for the rest of the season and finished (joint?) top scorer.

2. I'll guess the other end - the South Park Stand.
9. Alick Jeffrey?
10. Phil Brown - Because Mick Waitt broke his leg
it meant Brown played as a striker for the rest of the season and finished (joint?) top scorer.

good shout for 2.

good shout for 2.

I'm trying to think back, and the South Park may be the correct answer. The Railways End was definitely replaced during the summer of 1990 but I don't remember it being closed mid season. The South Park was replaced in 1992 but I have a feeling it closed completely prior to that, and have a nagging recollection that the final time it was open was a game against Aldershot.

5. I'll put Jock Dodds forward for this as he seemed to have had an 'interesting' life and is the go to answer for mad things involving City strikers

6. December 8 2007. Hereford 3 Lincoln 1 at Edgar Street. City had loanee Ben Smith in goal and one of their scorers was same named midfielder

8. This was the season Brighton stayed up only on goal difference and they had 2 points deducted during the season for failing to control the crowd. I really don't remember City being the opponents in the game that the deduction imposed but it fits the question

I've got 9 now, but will leave it for others and post Thursday if I don't see the answer.

I'm trying to think back, and the South Park may be the correct answer. The Railways End was definitely replaced during the summer of 1990 but I don't remember it being closed mid season. The South Park was replaced in 1992 but I have a feeling it closed completely prior to that, and have a nagging recollection that the final time it was open was a game against Aldershot.

There was a time when both ends of the ground were out of use - from memory late on in the 1989/90 season. Was the Stacey West opened in time for following season? Can't remember.

There was a time when both ends of the ground were out of use - from memory late on in the 1989/90 season. Was the Stacey West opened in time for following season? Can't remember.

We'll find out on Friday :-)

I've got 9 now, but will leave it for others and post Thursday if I don't see the answer.
Why don't you send Scotimp a pmail and he can tell you if you are correct? Plus if so, it will spur him to come up with some fiendishly difficult questions for next week

The SW opened in July/August 1990, possibly even for the Y&H Cup match v Leeds.

8. This was the season Brighton stayed up only on goal difference and they had 2 points deducted during the season for failing to control the crowd. I really don't remember City being the opponents in the game that the deduction imposed but it fits the question

I seem to remember a demo and possibly pitch invasion at the game. Was it the last game at the Goldstone? There was some media coverage so something must've gone off, and a points deduction may well have been the result.

5. I'll put Jock Dodds forward for this as he seemed to have had an 'interesting' life and is the go to answer for mad things involving City strikers

In the 1980s I was fortunate enough to get to know Derek Dooley a little bit when he was working for Sheffield United. Besides being a great bloke with a wealth of football stories to tell, he was also a former Imp, so I naturally gravitated towards him because of that. He had grown up in Sheffield as a boy when Jock Dodds was playing for United and had heard a good few things about the flamboyant striker. I may include one more question about him next week because they are great stories.