Weekly Quiz: w/c 11 June | Page 2 | Vital Football

Weekly Quiz: w/c 11 June

3. Is Billy Bill Anderson long time manager in the 50's?.....if so as far as illustrious players go you can't look beyond Andy Graver.

--------I'll correct myself......his wife was Moira according to his obituary...........oh well!!

Last edited:
3. So sticking with the Bill = Bill Anderson theory the only other player who comes to mind is our second highest appearance maker Tony Emery.

I'm probably on completely the wrong track!!

So for 5 we are looking for siblings, rather than people with just the same surname.
Remarkably then the surname Ross despite fitting all the criteria is incorrect now we are looking for siblings. I wonder what the odds are of there being 2 surnames that fit the answer as originally written.

there is also Rhead, Reed,Reed and Reed that fits the answer, but it's not.

3. There are three City players called Billy who come immediately to my mind - Billy Dinsdale, Billy Cobb and Bill[y] Taylor.

Doing a little research on the first of these prompts a guess that the answer to the question is Harry Pringle who played alongside Billy Dinsdale and who married the daughter of a director - although I don't know if her name was Lily.

Henry Pringle married Ivy Cotton

In 1939, he was landlord of The Blue Pig in Grantham.

Last edited:
9. Having been paired in the fixtures to avoid date clashes with us (and County) they persuaded the FL to alter some.

9. They set up an academy, reduced their prices, provided a free bus and otherwise tried to poach the vast LCFC fanbase and local talent

1. Charles Blakey is the required name though I guess the doubt is whether it’s the same Charles Blakey.

On a related theme, Exeter City’s new manager Matt Taylor started his career as a goalkeeper, winning the FA Trophy and then trialling with us in July 2003. A couple of years later he switched to being a defender which led to his Football League career.

3. Doing a bit of reading I've come across a City player of the 30's and post war called Alfred Bean who was known as Billy for some spurious reason.

He played quite a bit with the Moulson brothers, Con and George, both of whom represented Ireland, with Con returning for a short disastrous stint as manager in 1965. Their international pedigree covers the illustrious aspect mooted.

As to whether either of the Moulson brothers married a Lily I don't know but I'll put them both forward for this question

Further update - still awaiting these:

3. Who played with Billy and married Lily?
Someone has got very close, but still wrong. Think of a famous Welshman.

5. What surname connects a Lincoln City striker, an actress, a Hollywood casting director, and a recipient of the Queen's Police Medal?
I am surprised someone hasn't got this one. I saw him play for the Imps many times.

9. Why did Nottingham Forest receive criticism from Lincoln City in August 1989?
It was related to a match played by Forest's first team.

Answers at 5pm today.

That's the man (as I was just about to write). Berthold Allan Couldwell Hall married Lily Memmott at Sheffield in 1932.

Well I had tried him for question 6 so didn't consider him for this one as well . Oh well never mind.

As a side issue......Bazzzer are you the registrar of marriages in the county? Top trivia either way

9. Extensive research indicates it was when City's reserves were beaten 9-1 at home by what was supposed to be Forest's third team but which was largely comprised of first team players. There was criticism that this was unfair competition for the several YTS players in the City reserve side.