wee_od's scouting reports | Page 4 | Vital Football

wee_od's scouting reports

there was talk during the window that Westwood was being chased by EPL clubs! We would need to get the deal done quick or risk losing him!

We could certainly do with another RB, Adam Matthews would only really be back-up I would imagine. Need someone with that bit more experience, especially for Europe. Unless Cha leaves, Wilson becomes first choice for his final season before we let him go and Matthews plays back-up to Wilson. Give him a few games throughout the season plus he can play for the development squad and U19s and if he is good enough, we start him the season after. By which time, some of our current RBs in the U19s will be ready to play back-up to him!

wilson can play right across the back four,knows celtic and the spl through and through.wont be on big wages,so ticks all the boxes for him to sign a new deal.

i didnt know cha only had a one year deal,does that mean he can sign a bosman somewhere,does celtic have the option off a second year maybe?

the fact Wilson is so versatile would be a good reason to keep hold of him, but I'm not sure we will. Might be a case of wait and see. Only a year and a bit left on his contract so they might let it run down a bit more.

not quite sure about Cha, I've heard he only signed a one year deal but at the same time it seems a bit strange. as you say, it should mean he can sign on a free contract for whoever he wants.........don't think Cha is the answer at RB anyway.

by all accounts cha had a good Asian cup. The fact also that he can play on the right wing if needed is a bonus. I think both will be here next season. But then again,I dont see either as automatic pick for right back.

We also have juarez,but like the other too he's vesatile also and also not an automatic pick

Juarez is a world class RB and I would pick him there, but if what we hear is correct, he is only in there recently because its an emergency and he WON'T play there. He doesnt want to. He wants to play as a RW or CM. I think his best position is on the right of a 3 man, narrow midfield but unfortunately we don't play that formation.

It seems Cha has had a good Asian Cup other than one of the first group games he didnt do too well, but he really needs to up his performances in a Celtic shirt because they have not been impressive so far. He gets caught out of position too easily as a RB. It's not surprising to know that playing as a RB was not originally where he played, he started as a striker, moved to the wing and then to fullback....like you though, I can't see Wilson or Cha as automatic RB picks, there are much better RBs out there for not much money!

new striker to consider, Nils Petersen, 22 year old German striker, 6ft 2, currently playing in the second tier in Germany but would still cost as much as £2.2M despite only have 1 year left on his contract.....more info tomorrow when I have more time!

Name: Nils Petersen
Height: 6ft 2
Position: Striker
International: German U21, U20 and U19 international
Current Club: FC Energie Cottbus (German second division)
Value: £2.2Million
Contract: expires June 2012

Form: so far this season, 16 goals and 5 assists in 25 games
last season, 13 goals and 3 assists in 26 games including 10 games coming on as a sub.

A recent scouting report on Petersen reveals this about him:

The right-footed target man, who resembles Manchester City-bound goal machine Edin Dzeko in his presence and style of play, is a solid all-around front-man.

He is robust and tough to outmuscle while he also controls the ball well. He possesses good technical abilities, and he is speedy enough to make threatening runs at goal with the ball at his feet.

Petersen has got a very good work-rate, stamina and mentality, and is a team player. His height makes him a menace in the air for opposition defenders, and he has a powerful right-foot shot.

He can be described as a fox-in-the-box, a striker who has got the positional sense and opportunistic nature to show up in the right place at the right time to poach a goal.

His movement across the pitch is exceptionally intelligent and he can fire in a shot at goal from seemingly any angle.

Teams such as Bayer Leverkusen, Hoffenheim, Wolfsburg, Blackburn and Newcastle are all credited with an interest in him.

In the video, Petersen scores the first and third goals while he sets up the second.

[YOUTUBE=DqIXoDUGOk4]

Another great find, od!

Textbook header for the 1st goal (headed it downwards) although the Wolfsburg marking was diabolical!

Laid it on a plate for the guy to score for their 2nd goal when he could have had a shot himself - unselfish team player.

For his 2nd and Cottbus' 3rd he made the right run, found the space inside the six-yard box and ended it with an instinctive striker's finish.

Very impressive.

he's gone a bit unnoticed as a youngster it seems but the past season or two he has found his feet in the german second division and looked the real deal.....so now the bigger clubs are looking at him! he should have NO problems in stepping up a level!

another one worth a look to add to the squad this summer. a striker is one position we WILL be looking to strengthen, whether Sammy leaves or not!

Certainly one worth considering although Lenny and the scouting team seem to have significantly upped their game when you look at some of the gems they've brought in in such a short period of time.
I think Daryl Murphy is the only exception...

can't disagree there....still don't understand the Daryl Murphy signing!!!! WEIRD!

I still think if I had to choose a striker from the ones I've found, I think the Georgian boy from Maccabi Haifa, Vladimir Dvalishvila is probably the best option and is actually a likely target that we have scouted!

Matavz was the other one that I would have really hoped for but thats now dead but I was right about him! Garra Dembele is another one who we have actually shown interest in but are unlikely to win the signing of! I wouldn't say no to any of the strikers I have found but I almost fear what we could come up with sometimes! another Daryl Murphy?

No inside info but I reckon the Murphy signing was maybe more a panic reaction after we waited, and waited, and waited some more for some of the experienced guys Lenny really wanted. Time and scouted options both starting to run out and an early European deadline rapidly approaching, too.

still an AWFUL decision! although if you look at the link I posted in the Scott Brown injury thread in General chat.....maybe we should think again about him! It's also quite a funny video! lol.

What do we need in the summer...........a keeper, another center back, back up left back and right back, and a lead the line striker with pace....................suggestions?

Keepers are the most difficult thing to scout for......there are so many out there that may be good but get no playing time. There are some I've come across but no idea how good they are but if you base it on the club they are at, they should be good. The only one I did find that got injured and that's how he lost his place, still looks a fantastic keeper, Simon Pouplin, 26 year old French keeper. I will have a look around though.

CBs I have basically already covered in previous scouting reports. With Wilson coming in the summer, Rogne and Mulgrew and then Mjastorovic likely to become back-up...are you sure we need another one??? If in really a really dire state then we have Toshney and Hughes to at least sit on the bench just in case. Couple of decent young defenders coming through who could do the job for a game or two if required. Especially by next year!
The ones I've looked at are Andreas Granqvist, good experienced Swedish defender (who has a fantastic scoring record btw) who has already stated how much he would love to play for us and the other one I would take a look at would be Ragnar Sigurdsson, Icelandic defender currently playing in Sweden.

Back-up LB is a tricky one.....will need to have a look around. RB I have found a young 19 year old who looks good and would be perfect as back-up, Stefan De Vrij. Currently plays for Feyenoord who are having an AWFUL season and have money problems I believe. He can also play CB quite comfortably because he is about 6ft 2. I found a couple of early 20s but experienced players who look the part and may well be out of contract or available for not too much. Pablo Cendros of Mallorca and Daryl Janmaat of SC Heerenveen. And then there is Mikael Lustig, Swedish RB playing for Rosenborg....FANTASTIC RB! Would keep Mark Wilson out of the team!

The striker, my first suggestion would have been Mativz but he rejected us and is on his way to Italy this summer. After that and a player we could actually get, there is Thomas Pekhart, Nils Petersen, Rasmus Jonsson, we might be able to convince Hyun-Jun Suk to come here from Ajax now that Martin Jol is no longer manager and I have one or two more that I'm currently scouting so will get some details and videos up of them. One in particular looks really good, young Icelandic striker Kolbeinn Sigthorsson. Another couple of good young South Korean Strikers going about as well. They are about 6ft/6ft 1, good pace, good finishers but it's just whether they can handle the physicality quite as well and quite as quickly.

Name: Kolbeinn Sigthórsson
Height: 6ft 1
Value: Currently around £1M but that could be on the up.
Contract: According to transfermarkt.co.uk, his contract ends in the summer of 2012.

Form: first senior season at AZ Alkmaar. 34 appearances in all competitions for AZ, scoring 14 goals so far. of those 34 appearances, 21 have been off the bench which makes his goal scoring tally quite impressive! in the 13 games he has started, he has scored 10 goals including 5 goals in one game!

IMScouting scouts describe him as being a solid target man, who has good control over the ball and isn’t afraid to take shots at the goal, but needs to gain more experience.

Sigthórsson is normally deployed as a lone striker, he is quick and great in the air and also works very hard both on and off the pitch.

I recommend watching the goals in this video of him....

[YOUTUBE=QXcuJ-oAAis]

Should we wish to dip back into the South Korean market, one of the best young Koreans out there right now is Yoo Byung-Soo.

Name: Yoo Byung-Soo
Height: 6ft
Value: unknown but based on Ki, probably around the £2M-£3M sort of area. Possibly more.

Form: In the 2009 season he scored 12 in 29 appearances. The 2010 season he has been doing well again. The K-League season runs from March/April until November and by September last year he had scored 15 goals in 20 appearances. He finished the season with 22 goals in 28 appearances. Plus another 3 goals in 3 appearances in the Korean FA Cup. That meant he finished the 2010 season as top goal scorer in the K-League.

The talented striker has been nicknamed as the "Incheon Ronaldo", due to his ferocious free-kick. He failed to make the final squad for the 2010 World Cup although did feature in one or two qualifying games.

Yoo Byung-Soo is similar in size to Ki, not quite as tall and lanky but he is better built than Ki which bodes well for him considering how well Ki is doing now. He has pace, fantastic skill and technique and is good in the air as well as with the ball at his feet. He will move to a bigger club soon, could we be his first step??? In 2009, he was linked with a move to Bolton but nothing came of it in the end.

[YOUTUBE=dKnnt7MPGLo]

Ok so strikers are covered, now for GKs.

Name: Jonas Lössl
Position: Goalkeeper
Height: 6ft 4
Club/ Nationality: FC Midtjylland/ Danish
Value: around £1M according to transfermarkt.co.uk

Form: season 10/11 - 20 apps, 23 goals conceded, 7 clean sheets. games he did concede in works out at under 1.5 goals a game.
season 09/10 - 16 apps, 12 goals conceded, 8 clean sheets. games he did concede in works out at exactly 1.5 goals a game.

Has featured for Denmark at all age levels, U16, 17, 18, 19, 20 and is Captain of the U21s. Not much more information on him but having watched a video of him, he appears to be a good GK.

[YOUTUBE=hYv_AwlnY-c]

Name: Grzegorz Sandomierski
Height: 6ft 4 1/3
Club/ Nationality: Jagiellonia Bialystok/ Polish
Value: around the £1M according to transfermarkt.co.uk

Form: season 10/11 - 20 apps, 17 goals conceded, 10 clean sheets. games conceded in works out at 1.7 goals a game.
season 09/10 - 20 apps, 14 goals conceded, 13 clean sheets. games conceded in works out at 2.0 goals a game.

Has featured for Poland at U21 level and has now played for the full national squad on 2 occassions so far.....could he be the new Artur Boruc? Poland seem to have a lot of good GKs. Not much video evidence to go on but the small clip I have seen looks decent enough but not much to judge on. However his inclusion in the Poland squad gives me a good feeling about this young lad.

[YOUTUBE=uLl7gniLUXU]

Name: Kenny Steppe
Height: 6ft
Club/ Nationality: SC Heerenveen/ Belgian
Value: around £1M

Form: season 10/11 - 5 appearances, 7 goals conceded, 1 clean sheet.

Currently back-up but a good keeper, therefore could be a good new back-up for Forster, Westwood......whoever we get in the summer. He is better suited to a back-up GK than the two keepers above. His main problem could be injuries. He seems to have had a few.

[YOUTUBE=8DXW4bS6Ep4]

last but not least....

Name: Viktor/Victor/Eric Noring (he appears to go by 3 different names :S)
Position: GK
Height: 6ft 3 / 6ft 4
Club/ Nationality: Trellborgs FF/ Swedish
Value: £800k - £1M

Form: season 2010 - 22 apps, 24 goals conceded, 5 clean sheets. games conceded in works out at 1.4 goals a game.
season 2009 - 29 apps, 32 goals conceded, 8 clean sheets. games conceded in works out at 1.5 goals a game.

Was on trial with Fulham in January but their offer was refused. Trellborgs are ready to sell, if the right offer comes in. He has also been linked with a move to clubs like Ajax, Palermo and Milan. Would be a good back-up GK just now as from the video I've seen, he still has work to do to become a top keeper. He is a good shot stopper, but he needs to get better with his handling of the ball (doesnt catch it very often) and when he does stop a shot, it can bounce back out into dangerous places instead of making sure it goes out of play! He does have very quick reactions and he is big, he has the makings of a good GK but he just isnt quite there yet.

[YOUTUBE=o5dhJOSYgbU]

I though I heard we were watching Grzegorz Sandomierski but I like Jonas, better keepers than some we have been linked to thats for sure, think Lennon still fances Westy, seems strange he went with a loan player makes you think theres someone in the bottom drawer................

Oh and I really like Sigthórsson he's like Murphy but with skill, pace, control, vision, awareness, okay he's nothing like Murphy...........................

I know what you mean with the GK situation Pedro........tis a very strange one. Perhaps he didnt expect Zaluska to be so bad at the start of the season. Actually that's not really fair, he wasnt that bad, he had a few dodgy games and didnt look comfortable but then it was an unsettled defence in front of him and our wingers were playing as forwards..... Still don't think Zaluska has what it takes. Not sure if any of the ones I found are necessarily better than Forster right now though. I looked them all up on Fifa after I did all this and I think the lowest overall mark was for Sandomierski (about 58 I think) and the highest was Steppe (about 68 I think) I think. Lossl and Noring were somewhere inbetween (about 62 and 65 respectively). I actually then went on to sign Noring to see what he was like and I tell you.....on the game he is bloody good!! I think given their age, any of them would be good signings for the future! As for next season, it looks as though we may stick with Forster unless we can indeed strike a deal for Westwood as I think he will be our No.1 target.

Sigthorsson does look a cracking striker though eh......would love to see him scoring in the Hoops! Iceland could be a market to look into, their U21 squad are almost entirely the full national squad.....I know we had one or two in our youth system many years ago now and they never made it here but I think one now plays in Sweden's top flight and one was playing for Falkirk the last I knew. But I think the quality of players coming out of Iceland, plus our youth setup being significantly better now means that we could get some cracking players.

Latest Celtic News