wee_od's scouting reports | Page 3 | Vital Football

wee_od's scouting reports

Willie McStay is no clown! He knows exactly what he can get out of players like Jason Marr. He knows how to play players in the best way and in the best position to get the most out of them. Jason Marr is one of those who are currently back-up and need loan moves as they are above 19 but still not got into the first team. Do you think its safe to say that unless you are making appearances in the first team by the time your 19....you wont make it into the celtic first team? thats the way it appears these days. It seems like they want players who can make the step up and then when thye get to 21/22 they are too old with no first team experience and so won't take the risk....stupid fekkin system! lol.

Ruelas home to Mexico....I hope that is to collect his personal belongings for his move. Him and/or Winchester would be welcome additions!

What do you think of De Ridder? A bit about him above along with a good looking striker. By the looks of things the striker will be a no go because of how much he will cost and how much we can spend this window, but De Ridder should be available for next to nothing or free in the summer......EPL experience, experience of playing in Spain and Holland and of course in Europe and WINNING a European cup...surely the sort of experience we want? and of course....his skill on the ball is a joy to watch. ten times Paddy! lmao!

Ruelas was reportedly very home sick and did not like the food, climate or culture one bit. Word on the street is he never really fancied it and is hoping for a European move Spain/Italy/Germany.

Anyway talking about yanks what’s your take on Edson Buddle available for free, allegedly big bhoy with a bit of pace, good in the air typical old fashioned center forward. He's been offered around by his representatives. Lawwell could even sell shirts here and get into this huge market.

Rangers target from what I hear.........Birmingham also considering a move for him.

Shame about Ruelas. Lets hope Winchester comes instead then. Apparently he impressed the most out of the two anyway. Although if I remember correctly Winchester could sign now but not be here until the summer.....

od, the main thing about your scouting reports is that they are 'alternative' and also realistically reflect our expected outlay on targets. So, bearing that in mind, which player were you referring to when you said he'd be too expensive now/this window?

Tim Matavz......look up^^^^ lol. In with De Ridder. Video of him as well. If we sign Huseklepp we can't afford him.....well we can, but we wont!

oh yeah its definitely within our budget! just not in this window it would seem :( if you look at Matavz's goals....imagine if he was playing against Rangers with Mulgrew putting in crosses like he did...success i think! Although still not that big and strong, compared with some he is a threat in the air and with the ball at his feet and would be a good striker for us! but you could get someone slightly younger, just as good and for less money with Rasmus Jonsson....the other thing with someone like Jonsson is that he isnt the finished article (still better than Murphy and possibly as good as Stokes with the way he is playing this season) so you can use him as that back-up striker playing as a sub and playing in devolpment squad matches that we currently don't have. You could probably get Jonsson for as little as 800 or 900 K. In fact, having just looked, his contract was set to expire at the end of December.....wonder if he has signed a new deal then.....

Hi Oddy! :emoticon:07

I saw the Matavz's statistic. Its very good. 22 matches - 13 goals! :emoticon:35
His contract is till 2013. Market Value about 1,5 millions.
He would be useful to us

I think so too Olly! A bit different to our other strikers I think, would offer something different and possibly better!

So...David set me a challenge to find some of the best talent possible that is either currently a free or will become a free this year, and I think I have found some good players! Some of these players have contracts expiring this summer and some are at the end of December but all should be available either free or for a cut price fee. All of these players contract details are based on transfermarkt.com which unfortunately has shown a few flaws such as stating Scott Brown's contract is due to expire this summer....I hope the information is accurate but even if not, it may be around 1 year out so a deal could still be done for any players who are in or approaching there final year.

Some of the players I found in this search, are players I have already covered in other Scouting Reports so I won't go into too much detail on them.

Pablo/Pau Cendros - 23 year old Spanish RB currently playing for Mallorca. Value - £1.5M
Mikael Lustig - 24 year old Swedish RB currently playing for Rosenborg. Value - £2.2M
Ragnar Sigurdsson - 24 year old Icelandic CB currently playing for IFK Goteborg. Value - £1.3M
Reto Zeigler - 24 year old Swiss LM/LB currently playing for Sampdoria. Value - £5.2M
Daniel De Ridder - 26 year old Dutch RW/LW currently playing for Wigan. Value - £880K
Guillermo Molins - 22 year old Swedish RM/RW currently playing for Malmo FF. Value - £2.2M
Valter Birsa - 24 year old Slovenian LM/LW/CF currently playing for Auxerre. Value - £3M

Although not included in a Scouting Report, I really don't think I need to tell anyone about James McFadden. 27 year old Scottish striker/any attacking role you want, currently playing for Birmingham. Value - £3.5M

Now for the ones I haven't mentioned before, starting with probably the most exciting, Gil Vermouth. Vermouth is a 25 year old Israeli attacking midfielder currently playing for Hapoel Tel Aviv capable of playing on either wing, central midfield or in the adavanced position behind the striker.
Vermouth has skill, speed, an eye for goal, he has good vision and reads the game well. He loves to attack and always seems willing to get up and support the striker/s. His value, according to transfermarkt.com is around £1.5M and so he should not break the bank should we want him at any stage. I seriously recommend watching the video of him.

[YOUTUBE=Sj1TnM6_JSI]

Mikkel Thygesen is a 26 year old midfielder currently playing for and captain of FC Midtjylland in Denmark. Thygesen is a strong and pacey midfielder capable of playing on the right hand side of midfield, central midfield or the advanced midfield position behind the strikers. His speciality is shooting from distance as the power and accuracy of his strikes are impressive. It is therefore no surprise that he is also a good performer from set-pieces. If you need someone to liken him to, think Ki but with more pace essentially. Valued at around £2.2M, Thygesen's contract runs out in the summer.

Not many good videos but this is the best/only one

[YOUTUBE=Y-PFlmpXdv8]

Per Ciljan Skjelbred, 23 year old Norwegian all-round midfielder currently playing for Rosenborg. Tipped for huge things, his progress was hampered by a horror challenge a season or two ago but he is back and looking good again. He can play anywhere in midfield as he has pace and enough strength. If you think of Scott Brown when he was at Hibs, but with better technical ability. He has that attacking instinct about him, very good going forward, great vision to slip through passes and create opportunities! Skjelbred is valued at around £2M but I would expect a LOT of other big European teams to be looking at him again now that he has returned from injury and I am still not convinced that many players would leave a team like Rosenborg for Celtic, some players wouldn't see it as much of a step up.

[YOUTUBE=a1jPawft9vM]

Luigi Bruins is a 23 year old Dutch winger playing for Feyenoord in Holland. Starting off as a RW, he lost his place in the team. However with the loss of the LW, Bruins was switched over and has made the position his own. Bruins has pace and decent skill but is not a typical tricky winger. He will instead tend to hold the ball up, look for runners or just create that little bit of space to get in a cross. His pace is really used just to get him into the final third of the pitch and up to support the strikers. Bruins has a decent finish on him and is occsaionally found in the striker position where I think, if required he could play. Bruins is valued at around £2.6M.

[YOUTUBE=XKJAnLIzSWk]

The final player I found is a goalkeeper. Simon Pouplin is a 25 year old French GK currently playing for SC Freiburg in the German Bundesliga. Valued at around £3M, Pouplin is considered first choice GK although an injury from October to December meant that the No.2 for Freiburg has made it difficult for Pouplin to get back into the team. At only around 6ft 1, he is not the biggest keeper but he is a good athlete and gets himself around his goal well. I recommend looking at this video of his form from 2006/07.

[YOUTUBE=txrSr96uKiE]

Although I have found all of these players, I don't see room for some of them in the team. Skjelbred is one in particular who we probably don't need as he seems best suited to CM. The same might be said for Thygesen, although comfortable as a winger or wide midfield player, I would imagine he plays more as a central midfielder and that is simply something we aren't in need of.
Luigi Bruins, although a decent looking talent, is still far down the list when compared with the likes of Molins, De Ridder, Zeigler or Vermouth.

Some good one's there, od, although as you mentioned not all suitable at this time. And, yes, some of these online footy stats/transfer sites are notoriously dodgy and not to be trusted.

We've been quite active with our scouting in Israel recently, so Vermouth <i>should</i> be one we've had a look at.

Quite annoying the sites not being right all the time but I think they are probably, at the most, 1 year out on the contract details so the players should still be relatively cheap to get in with only 1 year left, they do seem to try and update fairly regularly for goals scored etc. Think it does take a while to change the details if players sign a new contract though, seen a few of those where I'm sure they have signed a new deal but their contract expiry is still saying this year or the next or something lol.

Vermouth looks good, like him quite a bit, if his contract details are right, it would seem strange that we aren't signing him on a pre-contract to make sure we get him because I would imagine other clubs will be after him.
Do you think there is much more talent out there that we will look to bring in? I have a feeling any there is, there isn't currently a place for them at Celtic.

What do you think of the GK as well Tic? Some bloody good saves in that video! lol. I know we have Westwood apparently coming this summer though so think it is unlikely, a good option if Westwood feel through. On the subject of a GK, if we do indeed bring in Westwood this summer, does that mean we will not sign Forster? Zaluska would appear to want away and clubs are interested in him.....so we will need two GKs this summer perhaps? Can't bring in Forster and Westwood....with Forster being No.1, he won't want to go back to being a No.2 or 3 and Westwood is the same, he isn't going to come here to be our No.2 behind a big lad who is younger and less experienced than him!

Agree about the goalie situation, od. It'll be Forster OR Westwood.

Just hope we don't get left with our arse hanging out if Noocastle play silly buggers over Forster, and we also end up losing out on Westwood...

Did you see the Bulgarian striker currently playing in Israel?

Following on from what I said about our recent scouting in Israel, it seems this guy was recommended to lenny by stan petrov.

Curious to see what we do for a No.2 GK come the summer then! I'm with you, hope we don't make an arse of this! Two good GKs looking to join us.....we have to get at least one!

I did see the Bulgarian, interesting to hear that it was Petrov who recommended him! He was out injured for a while, perhaps thats what he spent his spare time doing, bit of coaching/scouting sort of stuff to keep him occupied! lol.

considering we all feel we need a new RB, I think I have found a good candidate!

Stefan de Vrij, 18 year old, 6ft 1 Dutch defender currently playing for Feyenoord. At 6ft 1 he can play both RB and CB. He is quick, athletic, strong and good with the ball at his feet. His passing and delivery with the ball is very good. Think Mulgrew but with more pace and a generally better player. Valued around £800K and with his contract set to expire next year, he could be the solution to our RB and back-up CB options! Feyenoord are considered a big team in Holland however this season they are not playing well and are 14th in the league. The opportunity to win things with Celtic and to play in Europe could convince him to join.
de Vrij was given his chance for Feyenoord as a 17 year old around this time last year after making a few sub appearances but when injuries plagued the team, they turned to de Vrij and havent looked back since and he is now a prominent member of the squad. He has played 20 games for the Feyenoord first team this season, including 2 games in their Europa League qualification against KAA Gent where they went out 2:1. de Vrij is also a member of the Dutch U19 squad.

Promising young player who could be well worth looking at!

[YOUTUBE=GT6WUjRx0a8]

I don't see him as perhaps a direct replacement although if we were to sign him in the summer, he will have had a full season of playing first team football under his belt and playing in the Eredivisie. He would therefore be able to play if required but perhaps not be a first team player for us. He would be perfect for the bench, U21 and can play two different positions comfortably. In saying that....although young, I don't really see age as a problem these days. He looks like a better RB than our other current RBs, so why not play him? especially in the SPL. In Europe, you would want someone a bit more experienced, but again...he has to get that experience at some stage.

If Lenny decided Cha is his first choice RB and will play the majority of games for us.....this guy is the perfect back-up to that and by the time Cha leaves us or gets too old for us, we have the perfect replacement ready to come in.

I suppose the big problem is that now that he has started playing regular first team football, you want to continue that so he progresses well.....

Daryl Janmaat, Mikel Lustig or Pablo Cendros would be the best options I've come across for a direct replacement ready to fit straight in to the team. The RB position is one that can easily wait until the summer to be resolved though and I would be surprised if Lenny wasn't looking for one for the summer.

As we've been discussing in the Adam Matthews thread, od, RB is going to become a major priority for us come the summer.

Hinkel will be for the off, Cha only signed a one-year deal and Wilson's contract is due to expire.

Hope you had a good birthday, btw :emoticon:17

hopefully we sign adam matthews on a pre contract. heard good reports.

even sign westwood on a pre contract.

if we can wrap them both up before the season ends will be a good boost going into the new season.

champions league football might be the deciding factor for them to turn down the epl.

then again we have risked that over 500k.

Latest Celtic News