Weather Update | Page 3 | Vital Football

Weather Update

When I see the fantastic efforts that the NHS staff made to get to work , including waking for miles in the snow , then the staff of Greater Anglia (who gave up running trains after half an inch of snow on Tuesday morning) and staff of our schools who promptly shut them drown after spotting a snowflake ,should all hang their heads in shame

Agreed YB. Mrs DG did everything possible to get to N and N.
Too many pathetic non attempts to get to work including football clubs worrying about
a bit of snow on paths and roads outside their grounds.

My wife being a teacher like most people who actually bother to work or have a job have a chain of command above them who make the final decisions, usually in the case of snow and ice is due to health and safety reasons, its all a new set of rules since we were kids, when I was at school and got injured however it happend that was that, nowadays its all lets sue its easy money, then we the taxpayer are the ones who bare the brunt!
Maybe prevention is better than the court case!

fanforlife - 3/3/2018 17:34

My wife being a teacher like most people who actually bother to work or have a job have a chain of command above them who make the final decisions, usually in the case of snow and ice is due to health and safety reasons, its all a new set of rules since we were kids, when I was at school and got injured however it happend that was that, nowadays its all lets sue its easy money, then we the taxpayer are the ones who bare the brunt!
Maybe prevention is better than the court case!

Now here's a question which has caused a low level dispute chez Sminks this evening. Some of you will know I run a tuition business from my home. I am expecting 36 school age pupils Mon to Thurs this week with parents dropping and collecting their offspring on my drive, which is a decent size with room to manovre.

My outdoor lighting is causing our indoor lighting to trip constantly. Mr S has told me not to turn outside lights on until Friday when he can fix them with brand new lights. However for health and safety reasons ( on my
risk assessment!) I have concerns. If a parent or pupil, despite warnings, buggers over and breaks their leg I will be liable and in the dodo!! Thank God the snow has mostly gone due to a massive downpour this afternoon so I don't have that to worry about.

As Mr S pointed out it is unlikely there will be a problem but it is a risk. I am a small business and for financial reasons, I cannot take the decision to shut down until problem is resolved. The point I am making is we live in a world where it is so easy to make a claim and become the victim hence why so many of the larger companies, including schools, shut down.

I will not close this week, but warn parents and pupils of the risk in the hope they take heed and watch where they are walking.

Back in the 60s I am sure I would have trudged through inches of snow for way over a mile to get to school but it was another world then when the world of litigation was largely unknown.

In the meantime, I hope everybody looks where they are going and nobody buggers over, particularly on Tuesday so I can listen to NCfC V Forest.

I will hope for the best for the coming week with no disasters !

:worried: :behave:

Its a sad situation ( Nigel ) but these days we all live in fear of the legal implications of accidents instead of the actual problems of injury.
There is little room for Maverick's in the modern world ( including footballers which is why the game has become so tedious ) and as such there are fewer and fewer ' characters ' about.

Like yourself Sminky I am self employed ( 25 years coming up soon ) and take chances every day
with the way I deal with all my clients and projects but from time to time when certain things happen I feel totally exposed to what legal action may happen as self employed individuals are
an easy target when a scapegoat is required.It passes and I continue.
I now pay a four figure sum every year for Insurance which I hope to never need but well over
£ 30,000 has been spend and that is a lot of money out of a small business.

Regarding your lighting, if taken to the ' n th ' degree all works should be carried out or tested by a qualified electrician ( NICEIC registered ) and if an issue occurs regarding an electrical item or selling a property, the relevant test certificates are required.
We have recently had extensive building works carried out and this lead to finding a fault with electrics of an item not being revised and it took an electrician 2 days to check everything and sort it all out. In terms of rental of houses, a check and certificate of all electrics is required at least every 2 years. For this reason I do not tackle anything electrical in our houses.

The people making the money out of all this are Insurers and Legal companies who have nothing to offer in terms of creating products or contributions towards enhancing peoples lives.
In fact it is the opposite.

The world and football has become a worse place because of all of this.

Wrap up warm today its gonna be a bitterly cold day, its -2 here at the mo on the east coast with a wind to chill you to the bones.

Snow is predicted again, just hope not enough to disrupt any travel especially as I will get the train home again this evening with a distinctive wobble on (thats me not the train...I Hope!)

The walk to the ground from the pub and back again was simply evil, wind cutting you in half, I dread to think what it would have felt like sober.!.!

The odd snow flurry thats about all.