We will remember them | Vital Football

We will remember them

My great-uncle, Michael McPoland, died 1 May 1916, buried in Vermelles British Cemetery, France.McPoland family, 1916.jpg

My late mom, 2 uncles, 2 great uncles all served in WW2. I don't know who served before that in WW1. Oh and my late father served in WW2 too.

My grandparents used to have POW doing gardening at theirs whilst Grandma did a little dabbling on the black market too.

Oh and a great uncle who couldn't serve due to health problems turned the family business over to arms and ammunition in WW2 and ran off to Bourmouth with the profits (I kid you not) not the same ring as Rio really

Of all of the stupid wars that have been fought in history, WW1 has to take 1st prize. I feel ashamed to be part of a species that did that to itself. I feel angry that there was nobody who could stop it. I feel sad for all of those who lost their lives, brothers, husbands, fathers and sons.

RIP

My mother's great uncles; John, Patrick, Michael and Thomas McCormack all fought in WW1. Thomas McCormack died in the Battle of Cambrai on the 30th of November, 1917. His body was never recovered.

This looks like an interesting site. It has compiled data on those who died in the Great War, and can graphically represent those who died by the area they came from. So if you enter the name of your hometown or even your street you can quickly get details on people from your own locality.

https://astreetnearyou.org/

I know Rememberance Day is for those who paid the ultimate price for our freedom but, it would be nice to remember those who came back too, for none of them returned uninjured, physically or mentally.
War is a terrible thing to go through, even for the survivors, for they have all done, or seen things, that no one should be forced to do or witness.
Our military were promised a "Home fit for hero's".
For one century we have failed them miserably, it's long gone the time that we kept that promise.