We were talking down the pub....... | Vital Football

We were talking down the pub.......

Walthamstow wanderer

Alert Team
Staff member
Following on from Total Spurs recent thread , we were talking down the pub when the subject of modern referees came up and the obvious comparison of refs from years ago . .
Can anyone on here remember Roger Kirkpatrick ? Now there was a character who really made you laugh but controlled the game brilliantly .Back in the seventies for the younger ones on here

This isn't a statement, but a genuine question as I often bemoan the terrible standard of refereeing in the PL...
but how much of current referees being **** is down to

a) the speed of the game being more intense so they're less able to keep up than the days where players would hit the pub and have a kebab after (or before a game)?

and b) down to the multi angle, super slow-mo replays making everyone aware of how bad a mistake they've made whereas this technology wasn't as widespread a few years ago leaving us a little more in the dark if they got a call right or wrong?

Or down to the abuse referees take from an early age and most of them quit because it isn't worth it.

freundorfoe - 19/3/2018 23:30

This isn't a statement, but a genuine question as I often bemoan the terrible standard of refereeing in the PL...

a) the speed of the game being more intense so they're less able to keep up than the days where players would hit the pub and have a kebab after (or before a game)?

and b) down to the multi angle, super slow-mo replays making everyone aware of how bad a mistake they've made whereas this technology wasn't as widespread a few years ago leaving us a little more in the dark if they got a call right or wrong?

On one of the var threads I did advocate going back to just the one central camera , high in the stands , and never ever go back to contemplating VAR It's all just ridiculous . Making the game a laughing stock .why do we really need to know every minute detail, really .
Anyhow , I would recommend searching for Roger Kirkpatrick on you tube , there is a game he ref'd on there where he is only briefly shown , city v mu I think . What a character ,

On your examples ,Freund, I would agree that both are are causing problems . Michael Oliver doesn't get half the errors that a few of the others do . I'm sure that's down to age and fitness. They all went through fitness regimes a while ago , I'm not sure how their fitness can ever compare to a twenty year old professional footballer. I wouldn't want the Lino's job either . The offside law must be a nightmare to get right with all them cameras and now someone else watching from a studio . Big brother on a different scale

80deg16minW - 20/3/2018 02:22

Or down to the abuse referees take from an early age and most of them quit because it isn't worth it.

this has always been the case though has it not? Agree it's a factor. Think you have to be a special type of sociopath to want to be a referee... or a politician.

freundorfoe - 19/3/2018 23:30

One of the key issues is fitness of referees, so many still look out of condition and behind the play, which is equally true of the linesmen - the game, it's intensity and it's speed have changed enormously over the last 20 years - and our refs are still 10 years behind.

And you are also dead right about technology - but the direction of travel and analysis is not going to change now at the top level; the PL ultimate masters are the media companies - so it's a media speculate first and foremost now, not a stadium one...