“We Overpaid For Pritchard” Says Ex-Huddersfield Owner | Vital Football

“We Overpaid For Pritchard” Says Ex-Huddersfield Owner

Tuckster

Alert Team
Staff member
From the EDP:

Dean Hoyle, ex-Huddersfield owner on a podcast...

"In that season we had also brought Alex Pritchard for £11million, which we couldn't really afford.
"I think we'd spent about £60million, and when I say spent, it obviously goes out over two or three years.

"David Wagner wanted a number 10 and he was obsessed by Alex Pritchard. He said 'that's the man'. Two things, first, I had to go back to Stuart Webber to negotiate. That wasn't easy but all good fun.

"Secondly, personally, we overpaid. We overpaid for the football club. We overpaid for the player and we went over budget by £11million but we survived. I don't think Alex made us survive, but I really wanted to support David," Hoyle told the Looks Good on Paper podcast.

"David was a rock star. He got us to the Premier League, the promised land and we were in touching distance of staying up at Christmas. I backed him with everything I had."

City's current sporting director Stuart Webber worked under Hoyle and is credited with helping Huddersfield reach the Premier League. His exit left his personal relationship with the Terriers ex-owner in tatters, something that has since been restored.

Hoyle describes Webber's exit as a 'big personal loss' after he recommended a change of direction that helped Town reach the top-flight, namely appointing Wagner after being handed his name by an agent.

Speaking about Webber's exit, Hoyle said: "We were so far behind the curve. I'd lost Stuart Webber to Norwich, (which was a) big loss for me. I had another head of football operations in place but, let's be honest, he wasn't Stuart."

That’s the gamble we take in the Prem to try and stay up . Some work , and some don’t (like Piltchard and Naismith ) . As the old saying goes ‘it’s better to have tried and failed than to have never tried at all ‘