We need to talk about... | Vital Football

We need to talk about...

NottyImp

Vital Football Legend
... our corners. They are currently in council-tip territory.

We need some routines. Grant lofting it fairly gently in for a defender to head clear every single time isn't really the thing to be doing.

With our wing-play, we get a lot of corners. We need to use them more effectively.

We are fantastic ...up to the final 18 yards, then wasteful. We do need to work on improving our final ball, and corners, and find some guile with our finishing. It’ll get better and, the way we play, we’ll get results like today to contend with... but our finishing, and squad size given the demands of this season, are a concern for me.

Short corners really make my c#ck ache. For f@ck sake get them in the mixer. Maybe we won't win every header, we will make mistakes happen though.
I await the "we need to talk about penalty taking" thread. Might be a little knee-jerk. But, laces middle please. Bring back Mayo.

We were playing short corners a lot previously. What happened to that today, especially with the stiff breeze?

The delivery of corners in the last few games has been poor, I very much doubt Montsma could have done any better. There has been no thought and range from the very wasteful short corner to a general cross in the box and hope. We need to drill more of those on the training ground.

Agreed. But we seem to have still scored a reasonable amount from them despite the corners themselves not actually being great.

Yeah I agree, if Grants our best penalty taker at 4pm then he still should be half an hour later!
I quite literally wanted to cover my eyes when I saw Grant wasn't stepping up for the second. And nothing to do with anyone else who was stepping up but I thought OH NO (aloud.) Then my son says "your fault, you jinxed that" to bury me in despair. lol.

On the corner routines. We tend to be going for near post on crosses and corners. The corner routine that was working was Montsma starting near post, darting out and attacking the far post. Maybe we are going for different tactics across the board?

There isn't a right or wrong answer as to who should have taken the second penalty.

Both players have a pick a spot and hit it method. If the goal keeper dives early (they would both have been retaken with the dreaded VAR) and guesses correctly then they will be saved.

Both were good penalties of their type but can be saved in the above circumstances.

That's why the Akinde style is more successful. But not everyone can do it.

... our corners. They are currently in council-tip territory.

We need some routines. Grant lofting it fairly gently in for a defender to head clear every single time isn't really the thing to be doing.

With our wing-play, we get a lot of corners. We need to use them more effectively.
Utter shite today, biggest let down today.

Utter shite today, biggest let down today.

My point is that to the layman it looks like the corners were crap, but maybe the week's tactics were to hit the corners to that position? None were overhit past the far post and out.

In that scenario the corner taker has actually succeeded in hitting 100% (or close) to what he was asked to do. Just it didn't work in this game? With us viewing from the outside saying the corners were utter s***e.

Whatever the tactical approach was for corners, the first 2 or 3, all from the right so outswinging, were met by about 4 defenders between penalty spot and 6 yard line, no red shirt on close attendance. The best corner chance, Jackson's header wide under considerable pressure, was an in swinger from the left.

Doncaster had done their homework on this, too, and we had no effective plan B.