We need to talk about... | Vital Football

We need to talk about...

The tactics will be set from management with a view not to surrender possession by a hoof up the field to Walker trying his best but not going to get any change out of 3 centre backs. Unfortunately we are quite ponderous in doing it allowing the opposition to close it down

It's certainly massively frustrating to watch us press the self destruct button at times. However, how many times over the years have we moaned about aimless hoofs up the pitch to no one? Lots.

I think we've seen in the few months that Appleton has been here that we're trying to play a bit more and it's seen us create some great opportunities and gained us some impressive wins.

It's going to take quite a while and probably a considerable turn around in players to get it right and we'll have to put up with this happening quie a lot for a little while yet. We have seen what can be achieved and I think to be successful at this level we need persevere.

It's the way MA wants to play so expect at least two new centre halves in before the start of next season - younger, quicker and better technically. This season is about getting the blue print right. There will be a degree of perseverance until the personnel change as the pattern of play also impacts on the players ahead of the defence and they need to get fully used to that style. It would only change significantly if we were to get dragged into a relegation dog fight which I do not see happening. Under those circumstances practicality may kick in.

We started the kamikaze approach under the Cowleys
We did and direct football will only get us so far which is why we needed to change. As fumingly frustrating as it is with the errors it's all about next season and new players. However I am not opposed to mixing it up in the meantime which we did superbly against Ipswich.

It's the way MA wants to play so expect at least two new centre halves in before the start of next season - younger, quicker and better technically. This season is about getting the blue print right. There will be a degree of perseverance until the personnel change as the pattern of play also impacts on the players ahead of the defence and they need to get fully used to that style. It would only change significantly if we were to get dragged into a relegation dog fight which I do not see happening. Under those circumstances practicality may kick in.

All very well but it's costing us a goal a game.

It's a madness that seems to have infected a lot of lower league teams this season. Expecting L1 and L2 CHs to be able to play it about without pretty regular mistakes is living in a fantasy world in my opinion.

It needs to stop. I wouldn't mind but I'm not sure what we gain from it even when it works.

No problem with bowling it out to full-backs, but giving the ball to lower-league centre-halves ten yards from goal is madness.

"It's the way MA wants to play so expect at least two new centre halves in before the start of next season - younger, quicker and better technically." I think it will be two centre backs and a goalkeeper coming in. I don't think MA is a huge Vickers fan on what he has seen the past 4 to 6 weeks.

"It's the way MA wants to play so expect at least two new centre halves in before the start of next season - younger, quicker and better technically." I think it will be two centre backs and a goalkeeper coming in. I don't think MA is a huge Vickers fan on what he has seen the past 4 to 6 weeks.

Not sure anyone would be (imo).

It needs to stop. I wouldn't mind but I'm not sure what we gain from it even when it works.

No problem with bowling it out to full-backs, but giving the ball to lower-league centre-halves ten yards from goal is madness.

If we could do it well, we'd gain from not giving the ball away cheap. I'm big on playing from the back (and remember having this argument when we decided to smash the ball towards rhead everytime we got it, circa Yeovil at home last year), but we've gone too far the other way. The goal today was embarrassing, after the mistake last week I thought we might be a bit more conservative and hit it a bit earlier if under pressure.

IMO There's no excuse for the goal today and genuinely felt like it was Appleton dogma, that's the way we play so... there we go. At this level, doing that we we will win one 5-3 but next week lose badly. Unless we sign two £60m centre halves who stroke it about, no one is consistent enough to do it well. Certainly not shackell, bozzy and bolger.