We need to talk about... | Page 4 | Vital Football

We need to talk about...

Much better today. Appropriate decisions being made, although Blackpool weren't really pressing for long periods.

Much better today. Appropriate decisions being made, although Blackpool weren't really pressing for long periods.
Blackpool basically discouraged it from goal kicks, every time Bolger and Shacks dropped back for a short kick the Pool strikers lined up directly in front of them, if Edun dropped deep he was closely tracked, too, so Vickers took them long despite our strikers being shorter. Often that gave possession away but the midfield managed to contest second balls.

Sticking your head through the ball when you’re a 37 year old experienced captain and Centre back when the ball is coming at your face rather than turn around and watch it go into the net?

4 goals conceded, and counting.

Not once, tonight, did we create anything from fucking around at the back.

It's a shit tactic.
We also didn’t create anything by hoofing it long though. I agree that we need players who are capable of playing out from the back, something that our defence was not capable of tonight.

4 goals conceded, and counting.

Not once, tonight, did we create anything from fucking around at the back.

It's a shit tactic.
and pompey were hardly even pressing, they just let us bumble around with it, and eventually just pass it to them.
a couple of things with shackell. [1] his forward passes look stylish, but so often don't find a man. [2] on his sideways pass to the fullback, he takes so long, before eventually giving it to melbourne, that the poor lad has no time/space to do anything.
still can't believe we are using league games to practice this kamikaze tactic, but hoping it will be more effective against the bottom 6 or 7 teams. southend next...

We created out best chance (not a high bar, admittedly) from playing out of the back.

Monkeys and Hamlet comes to mind. Since we did it all night, I suppose it had to work at least once. Although, on the night, it cost us more goals than we scored.

Seriously, watch the game again and see how often we concede possession from this tactic. It doesn't even work on its own terms.

Monkeys and Hamlet comes to mind. Since we did it all night, I suppose it had to work at least once. Although, on the night, it cost us more goals than we scored.

Seriously, watch the game again and see how often we concede possession from this tactic. It doesn't even work on its own terms.
it doesn't even work when the opposing team don't do a high press. We work it laboriously across the back and then either lose it or lump it forward. It's a joke.

The alternative? Pump the ball up to players whose height doesn't exceed 5ft 11?

This team (as I said after Saturday) is a team in transition- several of these players (Morrell, Shackell, Walker, Coventry, John-Jules) will not be here in August and we have to start with a style which will work over the long run not short run.

Completely agree we can add pressure to ourselves but Pompey sat deep (like we did on Saturday) with a defensive line in front of their back four. They ONLY came forward when we played from the back- pumping it forward hopefully was a fruitless exercise.

Beaten by the L1 "in form" team tonight. On to Saturday and we go again.

But we WILL keep playing it out from the back.

and pompey were hardly even pressing, they just let us bumble around with it, and eventually just pass it to them.
a couple of things with shackell. [1] his forward passes look stylish, but so often don't find a man. [2] on his sideways pass to the fullback, he takes so long, before eventually giving it to melbourne, that the poor lad has no time/space to do anything.
still can't believe we are using league games to practice this kamikaze tactic, but hoping it will be more effective against the bottom 6 or 7 teams. southend next...
Its the pass where he throws his right arm around in a loop and chops it back in with his left peg that frightens me.

The alternative? Pump the ball up to players whose height doesn't exceed 5ft 11?

This team (as I said after Saturday) is a team in transition- several of these players (Morrell, Shackell, Walker, Coventry, John-Jules) will not be here in August and we have to start with a style which will work over the long run not short run.

Completely agree we can add pressure to ourselves but Pompey sat deep (like we did on Saturday) with a defensive line in front of their back four. They ONLY came forward when we played from the back- pumping it forward hopefully was a fruitless exercise.

Beaten by the L1 "in form" team tonight. On to Saturday and we go again.

But we WILL keep playing it out from the back.

Then we WILL keep conceding more goals and losing more games.

A good manager solves problems rather than creating them.

From Grimsby Live site:-

No 'fannying around'
Ian Holloway has started to put his stamp on things during this transfer window, both in terms of players brought in and his his philosophy on the pitch.

Here is what he had to say on the way he wants Grimsby Town to be playing:

When our forwards have it, I like us. When our forwards have the ball it is quite exciting.
What we need to do is play to our forwards, with our forwards, for our forwards.
Don’t think I’ll be bringing in all this nonsense, fannying around at the back, it’s not about that.
It’s about trying to get some of the opposition bruisers out of the way so we can get at the back four.
That’s what I want to do.​