We need to talk about... | Page 3 | Vital Football

We need to talk about...

Vickers is starting to worry me quite a bit. And as a man obsessed with a solid defence (you may have noticed), this is not good.

The argument was always that what he lacked in "box command" he made up for in his show-stopping ability, but he's let plenty in. The Ipswich free kick was a bit soft imo - poor positioning and tok slow to move.

I've only had a quick look back at some of the rate the players threads over the course of the season but some on here seem to have short memories regarding Vickers. I could quote several match threads and rate threads where he is lauded for saves and playing extremely well between the sticks. Yes last Saturday was a cock-up. It's the nature of the position that mistakes can cost your team a goal.
Growing up Peter Shilton was a goalkeeper I admired but when I think back two things come immediately to mind. Failing to out-jump a cheating Argentinian hobbit and deciding to fall backwards into the net for a German free kick rather than just touch it over the bar. 30 odd year exceptional career yet by virtue of a couple of howlers this is what comes to my mind. Who'd be a keeper??
I will continue to say that Vickers has earned us more points this season than he has cost us and will continue to do so

Noticed West Ham played out from the back last night which lead to Sheffield United goal in there 1-0 defeat.

I've only had a quick look back at some of the rate the players threads over the course of the season but some on here seem to have short memories regarding Vickers. I could quote several match threads and rate threads where he is lauded for saves and playing extremely well between the sticks. I will continue to say that Vickers has earned us more points this season than he has cost us and will continue to do so
Unfortunately, his average score suggests otherwise: his current rating of 6.29 puts him 15th out of 21 players.

All very subjective, of course.

Unfortunately, his average score suggests otherwise: his current rating of 6.29 puts him 15th out of 21 players.

All very subjective, of course.
if the defenders play well, and vickers has little to do... then he probably gets marked as a 6. but he has had little chance to score higher.

we have had 6 clean sheets in 10 home games.
bristol r only scored from a penalty.

We need to talk about pubs pouring drinks in wrong glasses. My pet hate getting a pint of lager in a bitter glass. The larger goes flat to quick.

For those that saw the game, how was the titting around at the back yesterday?

Chose safety first on more occasions but generally still played out from the back. One one two between Shacks and Vickers instantly reminded of last week at Sunderland, but this time we had time to clear long!

Not so much faffing about because we didn’t have many goal kicks or Vickers having the ball at hand so we didn’t have many opportunities to start from the base line. Going forward Shrewsbury were abysmal with virtually no goal threat so Vickers didn’t see much of the ball.

For those that saw the game, how was the titting around at the back yesterday?

Bolger did a poor clearance 2nd half that floated feebly to a Shrews player.
Vickers clearly still reluctant to do big kicks...he mostly took kick offs straight to Shackell or Bolger who waited either side of him in the area. This inevitably will keep causing slow build ups.
Didn't see Shackell make any faux pas's and nearly everything played out from the back then headed assuredly to Toff.

The speed of the distribution was far better meaning Shrews didn't have the opportunity to close it down. The wind conditions didn't help yesterday though and affected both teams distributions

Shrewsbury were so intent on keeping a defensive shape they didn’t really press us high up the pitch. Their back 3 plus wingbacks was pretty much a back 5 with 4 midfielders and a lone striker. This formation at home against a team with a poor away record takes some understanding.

Shrewsbury were so intent on keeping a defensive shape they didn’t really press us high up the pitch. Their back 3 plus wingbacks was pretty much a back 5 with 4 midfielders and a lone striker. This formation at home against a team with a poor away record takes some understanding.
Having seen them at our place, and what you say above, made it unthinkable to me that we would lose yesterday. We're I managing a side against us, especially as the home side, the first thing on the to do list would be put pressure on the back 4 when they have the ball. Do Shrewsbury not have scouts!?

I am pretty much stuck with premium lagers now I strictly comply with Barnivore.
Fining agents? Same issue with wine. I often get asked which wines are vegan-friendly but it's quite tricky as some years a wine may need to be fined and some years it doesn't, plus some people use animal or dairy products and some use bentonite.

Just read up on it and Guinness is apparently dropping the isinglass so will be vegan-friendly soon. Not sure if that's your thing!

Fining agents? Same issue with wine. I often get asked which wines are vegan-friendly but it's quite tricky as some years a wine may need to be fined and some years it doesn't, plus some people use animal or dairy products and some use bentonite.

Just read up on it and Guinness is apparently dropping the isinglass so will be vegan-friendly soon. Not sure if that's your thing!
I do have the occasional Guinness but as real ale drinker I tended to go for lighter hoppy beers which is why I tend to go for premium lagers. A lot of craft beers are OK but they are pricey. There is a slow move away from fining real ales too which improves their flavour but it is slow as breweries have to hang onto their beers longer.