We need to talk about Michael Mancienne | Page 2 | Vital Football

We need to talk about Michael Mancienne

I always wondered if he could be a useful sweeper as part of a three but realistically it's hard to see him being here next season.

Not especially keen on Dawson, another aging player with no resale value blocking the path of talented youngsters.
He probably could be quite decent as a sweeper but can’t see him being given the chance.

Three years ago I would have been loudly arguing for us to take Dawson, particularly on a free but now...

We do need an experienced CB who is commanding and can organise but surely we can find one in the right age range.

He was cruelly exposed on Saturday. Maybe that was Karanka's thoughts, lets see what he has got against that type of challenge.
Maybe Worrall will be given a chance tonight?

That will be an interesting selection if it’s right. If Hobbs wasn’t made of glass he would have been a decent option at times.

Fox and Manc at the back. Sorry but that’s a disaster waiting to happen if Barnsley have any nous.

Lets not rush in decisions ... Barnsley are not Cardiff , who knows maybe that central pairing should be enough...it depends if the midfield and attack are on their game and we spend most of the time in their half and not in ours...

Fox isn’t too bad but Manc is a disaster waiting to happen. Add in the fact that our full backs aren’t particularly solid and I am not confident in the outcome.

I'm going to buck the trend here and say that Mancienne has qualities, he's quick and reads the game well, but it's clear his confidence is shot. In any team you need different types of players and played alongside a Dawson type, a dominant header and leader, might get the most out of him. Certainly he's a useful, utility squad player and I can think of 14 or 15 other players that probably need to leave Forest first. Getting rid of Manc is not a priority.

I'm going to buck the trend here and say that Mancienne has qualities, he's quick and reads the game well, but it's clear his confidence is shot. In any team you need different types of players and played alongside a Dawson type, a dominant header and leader, might get the most out of him. Certainly he's a useful, utility squad player and I can think of 14 or 15 other players that probably need to leave Forest first. Getting rid of Manc is not a priority.

clueless at cardiff tho and remains to be seen if he is still happy here. An in-form mancs is a huge asset imo but he's been as out of sorts as the club over the last year.

:tophat:
Agree

clueless at cardiff tho and remains to be seen if he is still happy here. An in-form mancs is a huge asset imo but he's been as out of sorts as the club over the last year.

He is not a leader, but has pretty much had to be one - primarily due to the youngsters in the side in the first half of the season.

If you had to pick a side that Mancienne would be the least effective against - a physical Cardiff side are pretty the ones you'd not want him to have to feature against!

He is not a leader, but has pretty much had to be one - primarily due to the youngsters in the side in the first half of the season.

If you had to pick a side that Mancienne would be the least effective against - a physical Cardiff side are pretty the ones you'd not want him to have to feature against!

Agree with that and Barnsley was a better team to put mancs in. However, how many Barnsley type teams and how many Cardiff type teams r in the champ. Teams have got bigger and bigger in recent years imo and there are less teams focussing on pure football so to speak. It's a hard one cos next season players like the two Ben's cash and Joe will not be 'old manned' as easily but ultimately this league has become bigger and tougher and we need a team that can compete with that level of physicality imo.

Not sure.mancs is cut out for that as part of a central defensive duo.