We need to talk about Michael Mancienne | Vital Football

We need to talk about Michael Mancienne

Pope John XXIII

Vital Football Legend
Can he have a future here?

I think it's fair to say, he's had a nightmare season. He has been a consistent part of one of the worst defences we have ever had. To compound that, he has made a significant number of individual errors leading directly to goals (like last night) that have cost us numerous points.

Karanka's method of sorting the defence was to drop Mancienne and only play him again when we had nothing to play for- and he performed poorly yet again.

Sorry, but I just don't trust him any more. I'm not sure how we can.

He looks an absolute shadow of the very good player Pearce signed. But no other manager has managed to get those very early performances out of him and he has become increasingly error prone and ridiculously easy to outmuscle.

As a result of that, the bloke's confidence looks shot. He doesn't look like he trusts himself. I have some sympathy, but at the same time he is a professional footballer near the very top of his profession. This is his job and managing his own confidence and psychology is a big part of that job.

It's hard to see where he goes from here other than elsewhere. It might be that he thrives in a less physical league than this one. The bloke has class but there comes a point where we need to stop saying that and start consistently seeing it

Hes a liability, gives away needless fouls in dangerous areas consistently. If we want to compete at the top end of the table he's got to be replaced by a better player. Utility player or not I'd still get rid.

For me there is no conversation to have. Can’t remember the last time I saw even a half way decent performance from him.

As you say you can see he has some ability but...

Get rid.

I thought we looked a decent side yesterday and I was pleased. Sadly all that changed when Mancienne came on. In my opinion he needs to be sold. We are crying out for Michael Dawson, an organiser on the field and a leader of men, 34 years old or not, we must sign him. He can do for us what John Terry has done for Villa.

Sort of agree Sniffer but if we sign Dawson and Marney, we already have Watson and Gueddy in their 30s (ignoring Murphy) so we may have too much ‘experience’. Certainly wouldn’t want to add any more over 30s to that line up.

Agree Basha we need more goals from midfield.Personally I would like to see Yates brought in the 1st team squad rather than signing Marney.Dawson is a must and totally agree with Sniffer regarding the benefits he offers. We obviously need to sign a quality striker and still need better full backs.

Yates scored for Scunthorpe yesterday and seems to be rated highly there. I am not sure he will be quite ready for next season but he merits a look before we go out and buy.

Dawson or not, Mancienne doesn't have a future with us...yesterday he ruined all the good work that the rest of the team were doing....bar their first goal...

Manc needs to go, but so do the rest of the defence. I don't see him as any worse than the rest. I'd keep,Worrall and that's it.

Dawson or not, Mancienne doesn't have a future with us...yesterday he ruined all the good work that the rest of the team were doing....bar their first goal...
Agree Malta, Kapino should have got his fists to the ball for the first goal, obstructed or not, he should have shown some intent.

What makes you think he wont be ready Basha?

I think experience is the main issue. He has jumped from League two to one in a season which bodes well but if AK wants to challenge its an even bigger leap.

Would love to be proven wrong but I expect him to be loaned out at least til Christmas before maybe starting to be introduced to the squad.

Not heard the Marney rumours

We all love the idea of a lovely, small, nippy, skilful young side running rings around everyone else.

In reality that hasn't worked without balance.

We desperately need height and physicality in this team. The mismatch of physical presence at set pieces yesterday was truly embarrassing and it's that kind of thing has been costing us all season. You can see the problems of not having that with how Dowell has faded.

We need to sign some physical presence next season. Yes we need people who can play but we need big blokes.

We have scored only two headers all season and have conceded 26 from set pieces. There is simply no argument about our need for more height and strength and that means players like Mancienne have to go

Our two main targets are Dawson and El Arabi Hillel Soudani.
I would love for us to get them both.
It would greatly improve things both in defence and attack.

You are right Pope it’s all about having balance.

Sky pointed out that part of our downfall was the fact that Morrison was always being marked by smaller players.

We either need to come up with a solution to deal with bigger sides and/or modify our squad to include some more physical players to go with the skill that hopefully is already there.

Agree Malta, Kapino should have got his fists to the ball for the first goal, obstructed or not, he should have shown some intent.
Sniffer...look back at the goal...with Cardiffs player obstructing Kapino..nd the same player being in an offside position ...the goal should have been ruled off...

'If you don't win headers...you don't win football matches.' Paul Hart.

6.5 keeper couldn't come out for the first? He didn't lack height?

Fox beaten for the 2nd. Figs given the runaround by Morrison for the 1st or 2nd... Two set pieces two goals.

Forest played well. Cardiff are ordinary. (Not the first side this season who I thought were nothing special but there they are in 2nd...) But 'good' at what they do. Anti-football. Forest got back in the match with a great goal. Bridcutt played well and got the goal. Thought Forest deserved something from the match. Didn't take all their chances. It was nice to see Forest's midfield handling Cardiff.

Cardiff, physical side that can play a bit. And Forest have struggled against these 'typical' Championship sides. But that's what you need just to do well in the Championship. Short of spending zillions like Wolves...or the rare 'purer' football of Fulham, being physical and play a it can get you far. See Cardiff and Millwall. Yet, I thought Forest could have beaten them if they'd take their chances. The old glass jaw caught Forest out against them too.

Forest need more physical presence and height in the defence. Os' at LB reminds me of when Alan Rogers was playing LB and Forest would always get done with him playing there. ie. Too short.

'It's like the hobbits playing the elves.' (Forest playing Villa at the City Ground.) Villa's athleticism was more than a match for the smaller players scurrying around. Forest were too short then...and they still lack height at set pieces.

Fox is a better CH than a LB. But he's been done a few times. Doesn't seem tall enough, physical enough or mentally quick enough (i.e. he was going for the 2nd, but slow to get there. At least he cared enough to rant and rave when he and Forest got done.) Decent back up though. Forest could do with signing Dawson and another big CH. That would see them well covered with Fig' and Worrall...and yes, Fox. It may be Dawson and Fig' next season...with Worrall and Fox back up. Fig's done well. Impressive debut run in the side. Do we need someone even more physical than him with Fig as back up? Or will Dawson alongside be enough?

The whole defence needs a reboot (fullbacks...not good enough for top six?) and the keepers need to be coached to be more commanding. 6.5 and you can't come and catch a ball? Yeesh.

Karanka has plenty of work to do in the Summer to address the physical, height, pace and skill gap problems in both boxes as well as the supply line to the forwards. 2 Fullbacks. 2 Wingers. At least one CH. Two strikers. At least 7 players.

Mancienne is out. There was only one way that was going when he came on.

SA.

I always wondered if he could be a useful sweeper as part of a three but realistically it's hard to see him being here next season.

Not especially keen on Dawson, another aging player with no resale value blocking the path of talented youngsters.