We need signings | Page 2 | Vital Football

We need signings

Thought rees looked a lot better when reilly went off and he had to take more responsibility.

Last edited:
I believe SL understood that Cup opposition was seriously more important, so our squad this week-end, were so instructed to ensure our players to be 'shit' so Swansea (next game) would not be able to understand us!

I believe SL understood that Cup opposition was seriously more important, so our squad this week-end, were so instructed to ensure our players to be 'shit' so Swansea (next game) would not be able to understand us!
I think it maybe a case of far too many players playing for themselves.Not as a team.Especially later in the game after realistically the game was lost anyway.But the midfield were seemingly doing it all game .

With the talk of loan players and the probability that they may well be players to go straight into the starting line up.That puts pressure on those in the side to perform. Today's resuits around the league show how volatile January is.

Main problems today;

1. Too slow. Everything from the back done at walking pace.

2. Weak. Lost practically every 1:1 battle. Weak in the air. Weak in the tackle.

3. Low skill. On the day poor touches, poor crosses, misdirected passes. Poor marking.

4. Low energy. Inexplicable.

5. No aggression. At least get a couple of bookings and look as if you mean it.

Just a really poor performance.

Selection and shape/tactics all wrong today; how we can defend so badly with Lacey/Ogilvie all over the place when Ehmer is on the bench I don't know. Zac didnt look fully fit and not so sound without Max
Does Eaves on bench mean he's moving on - we'll need help!

Does Eaves on bench mean he's moving on - we'll need help!
I think Eaves was on the bench because we won without him last week and Lovell always keeps the same team where possible in the next match. Rees was always going to play after scoring the winner v Burton and Lovell talked him up during the week.

I said in another post it reminded reminded me of the Doncaster match. Eaves came on at half time in that one but earlier today after Lacey’s injury.

Main problems today;

1. Too slow. Everything from the back done at walking pace.

2. Weak. Lost practically every 1:1 battle. Weak in the air. Weak in the tackle.

3. Low skill. On the day poor touches, poor crosses, misdirected passes. Poor marking.

4. Low energy. Inexplicable.

5. No aggression. At least get a couple of bookings and look as if you mean it.

Just a really poor performance.
Sounds like you watched the same match as me.
A sense of perspective wouldnt go amiss with some of the posters on here, where every defeat is the end of life as we know it and every victory is our divine right.

A sense of perspective wouldnt go amiss with some of the posters on here, where every defeat is the end of life as we know it and every victory is our divine right.

I agree to a point but this is the fourth time a very similar performance has happened at home, at least defensively, where the opposition is given such a start that we are just trying to save some face in the latter stages.

Sunderland, Luton, Doncaster, Walsall.....I would also include Wimbledon but they were so poor themselves that they could not fully exploit our shortcomings.

Is Lovell going to send anyone home this time due to their attitude? Wilkinson has gone off to score goals elsewhere but what about some midfielders or defenders for a change?

I agree to a point but this is the fourth time a very similar performance has happened at home, at least defensively, where the opposition is given such a start that we are just trying to save some face in the latter stages.

Sunderland, Luton, Doncaster, Walsall.....I would also include Wimbledon but they were so poor themselves that they could not fully exploit our shortcomings.

Is Lovell going to send anyone home this time due to their attitude? Wilkinson has gone off to score goals elsewhere but what about some midfielders or defenders for a change?

You can also add Portsmouth and Bradford to your list, the difference being they didn’t take their early chances.

You clearly were not at the match.
From your sneering comment, you should be forced to watch the whole 90 minutes of the film of the match.

Lovell said he was happy with the quality in the squad before this game. I hope he doesn't repeat that statement. We were poor across the team.

Shameful performance.
As much as i love Steve he,s proved himself to be the Chairmans lackey ‘ no problems with the pitch ‘ and then its replaced two weeks later with the biggest outlay the Club has made fir years on anything and that ‘ he,s happy with the squad ‘
So the bespectacled one is convinced that everything is fine

That is an area I would have to question Lovell. I reckon Oldaker is easily our most talented midfielder who can create chances from nothing. Meanwhile we have about three "workman" like midfielders who are cardboard cut outs of each other.

It might be controversial as he somehow won player of the year last season, and has scored a few quality type of goals but I've never rated Byrne and always seen him as a League 2 player, sorry. However Byrne is a consistent starter?

Baffled to see Bradley Stevenson go out on loan to Margate as even giving him 20 minute cameo roles would offer us something different.

Totally agree Bromley . These 'workmanlike' midfielders are leading us towards relegation. Why not give Oldaker and Stevenson a proper chance. Nothing to lose imho.

Last edited:
One other glaring problem yesterday was Holy - rooted to the spot all the time He rarely comes off his line. He should have come out and commanded that 6 yard box and those two crosses that led to goals were his all day long if he had bothered to come out. Its no good Lovel saying he had nothing to do. -He had plenty to do and the basics would be a good start.
Too many of our more central midfielders were hiding yesterday. I watched as Oneil,garmston and Lacey were trying to thread balls into our midfield area for Byrne, Parker and Reilly and all of them went hiding and non of them made themselves available for a pass. This then leaves the options of -down the line of playing it square. I would have put Stephenson in place of Byrne all day long (and send Byrne out on loan) he's a far better player and will only get better. Oneil didnt have his bets game and just gets beaten on pace when hes so far up the pitch, hes a better fullback than wingback for me. Oldaker has to be played even in a cameo role he must be developed.

Where the bloody hell do you start,new signings yes obviously but on that display we need 11,that was embarrassing to the point of hysterical if I hadn’t supported the Gills since 74,
Nash not even on the bench thought Steve May have given him a birthday treat of usual 10 minutes,of course he has a lot to prove but only way is to give him games,same as Oldaker I’m guessing he has upset somebody as well.not forgetting Mbo