we must face reality | Page 5 | Vital Football

we must face reality

Yon Mon, you seem to think that he'd favour the Warriors over Latics. Why?

If he's just forked out around £10m (or whatever) then why on earth do you think he'd be happy to see that investment die because it wasn't given proper ongoing financial support? It just makes no sense.

Maybe extra money is from new sources. New lines of income.

Your thought process is clouded by the same thinking as John, Norm and Danny .......... that we'd be "owned by the rugby". We wouldn't be. We'd be owned by a person who owned a football club previously, and obviously has a little ambition to bring back the success seen by the club in recent years.

Any view that he'd only be buying us for the stadium is like saying that someone would go into a shop to buy a walnut whip, only to walk outside, take the walnut off the top, eat it, and then chuck the rest (the chocolate bit) away. It's just illogical.
Moonay ive never said wed be owned by the rugby. Ive said the clubs would intertwine. Re read what ive said ive given my reasons, you might not abree and thats fine but I think your being innacurate. I actually agree with you, I just cant handle the little brothet status.

I’m still not grasping why Lenegan’s involvement as part of a consortium (where he is thought unlikely to be the major money man) ...equates to “the rugby owning us”
RL as a sport is potless...the club without Lenegan’s support would be broke....it’s only the fact that rugby costs are (relative to football) comparatively cheap that they can keep going but the whole sport is on a financial knife edge......football is too (despite being awash with money it is far more creative at wasting it)

As for the bloke who may or may not have been in charge of a travel company that’s gone bust ....I don’t actually know ...but if so could you blame him when pretty much all your customers have stopped travelling through fear or at various times have been banned by law from doing so ? (.he’d have no television money or transfer fees to fall back on !)

As for that mon Lindsay the only time he got near us was when Whelan put him on our board! .....now that was outrageous.....and by the way how many of you stopped going then?

I’m not necessarily saying that a consortium involving Lenagan would be the ideal option (I’m somewhat concerned that he’s 75 for a start) but it has some merits and I certainly wouldn’t turn it down if it were the only option or eventually proved to be the best one.

I too go back to the mid/late 60’s and whilst having been ‘religious’ in following Latics ....I also used to go to the rugby maybe a third or half of their games, but the Lindsay and Robinson regimes put paid to that....and I’ve written tirades against them in the original CL mag and occasionally in the Mudhutter and I’ve had many a (largely civilised) row and (less civilised) rant against some of their ‘numb as a wet piss stone’ followers (I especially loved correcting them on their own subject 😎) .....all that said .... time has gone by ....the principal actors have long since left the stage.

I don’t allow the thicker element of their sport to wind me up, I prefer to discuss things with a fair few friends and acquaintances who are rugby supporters and with whom I don’t nor have ever had any problem.

Time to move on .....regardless of whether Lenagan becomes involved or not.

But what happens if its him or nowt ?... it's not a difficult question but people are dancing around the answer.

Right I am probably one of the longest serving fans on here and after 70 years of having Latics etched into my soul it really doesn't sit well this association with the owner of Wigan Warriors but I also have known his partner Gary Speakman for many years and know he is a massive Latics fan so if that was the choice their consortium or bust it would be them.
As a side note My late dad was a season ticket holder of Wigan Borough and went from watching league football to Lancashire Combination from Bradford City to Northern Nomads it broke his heart and it CANT happen again

Any view that he'd only be buying us for the stadium is like saying that someone would go into a shop to buy a walnut whip, only to walk outside, take the walnut off the top, eat it, and then chuck the rest (the chocolate bit) away. It's just illogical.

Hope they chuck it my way, that's the best bit.

Moonay ive never said wed be owned by the rugby. Ive said the clubs would intertwine. Re read what ive said ive given my reasons, you might not abree and thats fine but I think your being innacurate. I actually agree with you, I just cant handle the little brothet status.
My apologies Danny. I included you as you're a voice against a Lenegan purchase, but you're right, you haven't mentioned a takeover by the rugby.

Your logic makes a little more sense. I disagree with it, but at least you're not under the delusion that we'd be owned by the rugby.
(y)

My apologies Danny. I included you as you're a voice against a Lenegan purchase, but you're right, you haven't mentioned a takeover by the rugby.

Your logic makes a little more sense. I disagree with it, but at least you're not under the delusion that we'd be owned by the rugby.
(y)
No worries sir! 👌

But im not one that if it gets to the 11th hour that id rather we went under or id not go.

I just think the divisions run deeper than the archaic problems you refer to over maurice lindsay. Its a contant tug of war over pride of place on the mantlepiece and neither will back down and will actively put the other down ruthlessly. Its just a very fierce rivalry that will never leave us.

Right I am probably one of the longest serving fans on here and after 70 years of having Latics etched into my soul it really doesn't sit well this association with the owner of Wigan Warriors but I also have known his partner Gary Speakman for many years and know he is a massive Latics fan so if that was the choice their consortium or bust it would be them.
As a side note My late dad was a season ticket holder of Wigan Borough and went from watching league football to Lancashire Combination from Bradford City to Northern Nomads it broke his heart and it CANT happen again

Can't he buy us without lenagan?

I tell you what Norm ........ I'll shut my trap, if you open your ears, put on your reading glasses, and don't think about anything else whatsoever for a second ................ because it seems that's the only way you'll get into your head that Lenegan is not buying Latics (though he really only wants the stadium!!!) for surreptitious reasons .

Sometimes, with what you post, you define "stupid". I'm sure you're not ......... but that doesn't stop you from doing it.

Moonay think your reply to Norm is one of the 'nicest' ( no such word i know but u get the drift) ways whilst not coming across as a twat in telling posters they're talking out of their arse or not the sharpest knife in the drawer 😉😉

Personally I find the lack of news about prospective buyers somewhat worrying. The initial timeframe had someone signed up this time last week. I get why that didn’t happen given the appeal outcome was unknown, but now it is there has been no talk of any preferred bidder since. Very concerning in my view.

Personally I find the lack of news about prospective buyers somewhat worrying. The initial timeframe had someone signed up this time last week. I get why that didn’t happen given the appeal outcome was unknown, but now it is there has been no talk of any preferred bidder since. Very concerning in my view.
Just been thinking exactly the same and how thin on the ground the press releases have become.
Silence is deafening. Royle hasn't joined the admin company as he? Wonder what stone he's crawled under? This will all settle after a while and he will reappear again on a ridiculous salary at another club.

I agree. Now that things re our future have been largely resolved (ie League 1) then there's really no reason for anyone who's serious to move forward. I suppose the only reason why no preferred bidder has been announced yet is because none of them have been prepared to stump up the £100k.

It's a lot of money to lose if anything goes tits up, so maybe a bidder is doing the deal, but without any exclusivity in place (so not preferred) ........ which means that the others are also still in the game should anything go awry.

That's my half full view any road.

Hey we have had bad times lots of you remember the S.O.S meeting at mill at Pier dark cold night when then our club was in real danger of going bust. Back then we had no assets and very little history being run by consortium to make money off sellin springy 11th hour rescue by DW and remember that speech in supporters club real emotion. As we do in life and business we use people as stepping stones in the ocean of life to get
To where we need SURVIVAL

I agree. Now that things re our future have been largely resolved (ie League 1) then there's really no reason for anyone who's serious to move forward. I suppose the only reason why no preferred bidder has been announced yet is because none of them have been prepared to stump up the £100k.

It's a lot of money to lose if anything goes tits up, so maybe a bidder is doing the deal, but without any exclusivity in place (so not preferred) ........ which means that the others are also still in the game should anything go awry.

That's my half full view any road.

Makes sense to be fair, though exclusivity would give them a degree of protection to prevent a bidding war and getting gazumped ( yeah I know, if only!)

I know you guys would settle for lower league football because as stated previously by another user, you guys saw Wigan in lower leagues before. That's not something I think I'm willing to accept tbh. I want an owner that can get us back in championship asap. Might not happen this season and I know we may even get relegated to L2 but I'd like to build ourselves back up to a stable championship team at the very least. Hopefully we can get someone who can do just that

Well done Harry - though again really Kendrick should be all over this.

I understand why you say that, but in reality, the statement doesn't really say a lot ..................... because we all know he can't......... yet.

I put it up just to pacify Jeff's Right, whinging at DR's silence !